What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookin ahead to 2021-22

Last season one of the strengths of the team was depth in the front court. It was somewhat unexpected as it required three newcomers to have significant impacts - Horne, Walker and da Silva. For the 21-22 season it seems that da Silva and Lovering will have to be ready to give quality minutes and the team can't afford to have any lasting injuries. Perhaps O'Brien will have to put some minutes and the 4/5 as well.

So, it looks like da Silva is going to be critical this coming season. He will be the only bench player in the front court with college experience. He really was impressive in his ability to integrate into the offense as well as defensively. I lot of what he did was subtle. His understanding of the offense and constant movement was wonderful and kept things running smoothly whether or not he was scoring. On defense he was also intelligent and played within the team concept.

My point is that he'll be invaluable in the upcoming season. And I expect that he'll be improved in all aspects of his game.

Let's hope tht Lovering will have a quick transition to college basketball. He too will have to give solid minutes off the bench.

It’s so hard to predict how the other teams in the pac are going to do this year. ASU is a completely new team with a bunch of well regarded mid major transfers and two returning players that averaged 8 a game. Arizona w loyd no guard depth, mathurin, tubelas, krissa and Koloko. Utah new coach and a new team. USC no Evan Mobley and Tahj but probably Isiah drew Peterson and boogie, Washington state returns a ton of production and some highly rated transfers. Dana will have Oregon set w a good senior point guard and length. I could see OSU using momentum but they lost Stevie Thompson. But alatishe, Lucas will be good. I like what Washington has done with Daejon Davis, emitt Matthews and Terrell brown but Hopkins hasn’t done anything with more talent and not really worried about Cal or Stanford. Since Oscar da Silva Zaire Williams and Matt Bradley are gone. Standings are going to be weird but wouldn't be surprised if it was UCLA, Oregon, Colorado, USC, Oregon State and Washington St (so weird to say)

The Pac program I can't figure out is Stanford post-Montgomery. Seems like there's a Furd guy on the court in every NBA game I watch, but they've been the definition of an NIT level program.

The Pac program I can't figure out is Stanford post-Montgomery. Seems like there's a Furd guy on the court in every NBA game I watch, but they've been the definition of an NIT level program.
They are all wings and bigs. Lopez twins, Huestes, Zaire Williams, Anthony Brown, KZ Okpala. Landry Fields, the Collins brothers, Dwight Powell need guards to win in college!

They are all wings and bigs. Lopez twins, Huestes, Zaire Williams, Anthony Brown, KZ Okpala. Landry Fields, the Collins brothers, Dwight Powell need guards to win in college!
Tyrell Terry is a rookie PG, but yeah. Believe they have another 5* wing coming in next season, too.

Reading this 247 article, I kind of forgot that we still need to replace Nate Tomlinson on staff. What kind of coach would you like to see fill his shoes? Personally, I want another young up-and-comer that can recruit and relate to young kids. We have a very seasoned staff otherwise so I don't mind giving someone their first crack at an assistant job.

Seth Davis does not have us even in the top 35 for coming season. WTF. He has UCLA at 4, Oregon at 29 and USC at 34. Kansas who we play (beat!!) at 18.

It's like you haven't been paying attention to CU basketball for the last 100 years. CU will get attention when it reaches 20 wins (again) and not before.

Seth Davis does not have us even in the top 35 for coming season. WTF. He has UCLA at 4, Oregon at 29 and USC at 34. Kansas who we play (beat!!) at 18.
He says he's not taking into consideration draft decisions in this which is idiotic to me. Like if a person has declared for the draft he considers them gone. So he has UCLA at 4 with the assumption that Juzang isn't coming back which he very well could. But then he ranks Baylor at 5 with the assumption that Matthew Mayer comes back even though he declared so not really sure of his methodology. He also has Ohio State at 15 since Duane Washington and EJ Leddell have both declared, most places have them as a top 5 team because most people assume they with withdrawal. Overall his rating system is ass.

I've always rooted for, but been hesitant to believe that Gonzaga is as good as their record/rank usually suggests – after this year all trust is gone, wayyyy too soft.

I rarely bash public talking heads because they all have their blind spots and their plusses and minuses. I may disagree with some but in general I can at least see where they're coming from.

**** Seth Davis.

Seriously, never read anything he writes, never listen to him, just ignore him. You'll be better off. If you ever get the chance to read an article by Seth Davis, drop some acid and call Bill Walton instead.

Oh, and on topic -- we're not going to be highly regarded going into the year. I agree with some of the reasons, not with some of the others. But take off your black & gold glasses for a second and look at this:

* We're losing arguably one of the top 5 greatest players in program history.
* In fact, we're losing over 55% of our minutes played from last year
* We were a good team but didn't make it out of the second round, so we didn't get national eyes
* We're in a conference that did well in the tournament, but no one watches because our commissioner is an idiot and all of our games aren't on TV.
* We're not a "brand" yet. Yet.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd put us in the top 35. I might put them in the "keep an eye on". But that's because I know Tad, and we have a top 10 recruiting class coming in. That said, while it's a top 10 recruiting class, there's no "one and done game changer" in there, which is usually what moves the needles on these types of articles. Plus, and stop me if I've said this before, college hoops is a PG's game. We have a PG that I feel better about than I did in February, but am still not 100% confident in. We have help coming with transfers. We have combo guards. But we need Key to make the leap this year - and he very well could.

This team has a WIDE range of outcomes for the year. From "NIT" to "Sweet 16", I don't think anything would surprise me. Personally, I'm leaning more towards the S16 side of the spectrum but I can understand why some are skeptical.

EDIT - But **** Seth Davis. Seriously.

Oh, and on topic -- we're not going to be highly regarded going into the year. I agree with some of the reasons, not with some of the others. But take off your black & gold glasses for a second and look at this:

* We're losing arguably one of the top 5 greatest players in program history.
* In fact, we're losing over 55% of our minutes played from last year
* We were a good team but didn't make it out of the second round, so we didn't get national eyes
* We're in a conference that did well in the tournament, but no one watches because our commissioner is an idiot and all of our games aren't on TV.
* We're not a "brand" yet. Yet.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd put us in the top 35. I might put them in the "keep an eye on". But that's because I know Tad, and we have a top 10 recruiting class coming in. That said, while it's a top 10 recruiting class, there's no "one and done game changer" in there, which is usually what moves the needles on these types of articles. Plus, and stop me if I've said this before, college hoops is a PG's game. We have a PG that I feel better about than I did in February, but am still not 100% confident in. We have help coming with transfers. We have combo guards. But we need Key to make the leap this year - and he very well could.

This team has a WIDE range of outcomes for the year. From "NIT" to "Sweet 16", I don't think anything would surprise me. Personally, I'm leaning more towards the S16 side of the spectrum but I can understand why some are skeptical.

EDIT - But **** Seth Davis. Seriously.
So what you are saying is that Seth Davis is right and you agree with him? :cool:

FWIW, we are a program that hadn't been dancing in a few years and lost a lot of seniors who played big roles last season.

I'm ok with folks not expecting this to be a program that reloads. 2021-22 is going to be about opening eyes and changing narratives. I think it's good if they feel disrespected and spend the offseason with chips on their shoulders.

FWIW, we are a program that hadn't been dancing in a few years and lost a lot of seniors who played big roles last season.

I'm ok with folks not expecting this to be a program that reloads. 2021-22 is going to be about opening eyes and changing narratives. I think it's good if they feel disrespected and spend the offseason with chips on their shoulders.
100%, make the kids earn it.

We lost the best player ever to graduation. No way anybody on the team can possibly replace Kin’s production. - Wilner, probably.

Joking aside, it’s not surprising that we lose a great player to graduation and the media assumes we will fall off a cliff next year. Predictable, actually.

We need to enjoy these next few years.

Another step towards ending college BB as we know it:

And this will end college hoops as we know it how?
Yeah, while I think the idea is stupid, I'm not sure how this effects college ball at all. Vast majority of recruits will be totally unaffected, and 5 stars will still be pushed by sneaker contracts.

Back