What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookin ahead to 2021-22

Olajuwon was incredible. I remember seeing him at Hofheinz when he first got here from Nigeria. Tall, skinny and shoulders about as wide as a soccer ball. A year in the UH weightroom and he was a beast. Tremendous talent.
Top 5 big man of all time easy, and that's just overall. Talent wise, I'd probably put him at the top.

Yep. It's surprising to see us picked so high considering McKinley is moving on. Not that I don't think that we'll be a bubble team at worst next season, just that the media generally ignores CU until they win 20 games.
Most of the media is located well east of the Mississippi River.

How many of them had a single western team in their final 8 or even final 16 other than Gonzaga?

It isn't just CU that gets ignored. The entire PAC12 is looked at as some cute thing that happens after they go to bed.

MWC didn't do themselves any favors this year in terms of earning respect but when they have good teams they don't get any attention until late either.

Because of this years ending they did give UCLA a #1 seed and put 3 other PAC schools in but as 7,8, and 9 seeds, in other words "Cute teams but won't last past the first or second round." Included in those is Arizona which will likely be better than last year but really are they better than CU or are they just "Arizona?"

They also have CSU winning the MWC auto bid for a 10th seed and Nevada in a play in game as MWC representatives.

Gonzaga is their #1 overall but their league gets a play in and nothing else.

In other words an interesting bracket to look at but whoever put it together might want to be reminded that basketball does exist outside of the Eastern Time Zone.

Last edited:
"KJ Allen recently switched his pledge from USC to Texas Tech, so Colorado now has the top ranked 2021 recruiting class in the Pac-12. Hammond, center Lawson Lovering, wing Quincy Allen and combo guard Javon Ruffin are all set to join the Buffaloes in early June."

From an article about Julian Hammond:

"KJ Allen recently switched his pledge from USC to Texas Tech, so Colorado now has the top ranked 2021 recruiting class in the Pac-12. Hammond, center Lawson Lovering, wing Quincy Allen and combo guard Javon Ruffin are all set to join the Buffaloes in early June."

From an article about Julian Hammond:

Just because it makes me feel good:
1619045718535.png

Wilner not feeling the love for Buffs class.

He's got a point, but takes it too far.

For example, in the NBA draft it's a no-brainer that you'd rather have 2 lottery picks vs having 5 1st rounders at picks 26-30.

It's not that cut & dry in college and you never know how guys will develop. I'll take Villanova style recruiting (top 100 guys you develop) over the KU or UA models which put more guys in the NBA but win a hell of a lot less.

For example, in the NBA draft it's a no-brainer that you'd rather have 2 lottery picks vs having 5 1st rounders at picks 26-30.

It's not that cut & dry in college and you never know how guys will develop. I'll take Villanova style recruiting (top 100 guys you develop) over the KU or UA models which put more guys in the NBA but win a hell of a lot less.
Building off of that, he uses the loss of McKinley as a reason we won’t be very good. And that our recruiting class won’t make up for it. However, McKinley averaged 13, 5, and 5 as a true frosh and was a maybe top 300 recruit depending on where you are looking. (Yes Kins don’t walk on trees) but the reverse can be true and recruiting ratings can be way off and overvalue pro potential as opposed to ready made college production. And Tad has been very good at developing as well and we all know Jabari, Tristan, and Key will make a jump next year because he develops players.

dang, Wilner is so far up his own ass when it comes to the Buffs

no one outside the program/fan base, sans Bill Walton, seems to be ok with CU succeeding

Wilner should be a business writer. He really gets into the tedious and boring details of sports business, but his X and Os and predictions are always way off. He’s like some smug guy from the 90s always betting on the Bulls and thinking he’s so smart.

This was utterly predictable. We are the stepchildren in this conference whether we like it or not. No sense getting upset over it. Just go out and win. Tad does things a little differently than is the standard blueprint for books success. Its a long term build and he’s not finished yet. I love the direction this program is going. Reminds me of Gonzaga about ten years ago.

In the pros having at least two, now maybe three, top echelon players is needed to succeed. But in college, the quality of the team, especially for about six players, is (more) important.

For example, USC has a top five pick in Mobley and at least one or two others that are first rounders, and we beat them three times this past season.

(It was outrageous that Enfield won COY over Tad)

dang, Wilner is so far up his own ass when it comes to the Buffs

no one outside the program/fan base, sans Bill Walton, seems to be ok with CU succeeding

The Pac-12 basketball writers are about the LA schools, Arizona, and Oregon, with a little attention paid to ASU and Stanford.

The rest of the conference could go die in a tire fire, as far as they're concerned.

Wilner not feeling the love for Buffs class.

Has CU ever had a top 50 recruit other than Chauncey? I don’t think our recent success has been built on the backs of Top 50 recruits and this year’s class is supposedly the best Tad has had.

Has CU ever had a top 50 recruit other than Chauncey? I don’t think our recent success has been built on the backs of Top 50 recruits and this year’s class is supposedly the best Tad has had.
Josh Scott was right around 50 if I remember correctly. Tad's trend seems to be to get 2-3 guys in the Top 175 and add another 1-2 potential upside/glue guys each year. Given the sheer number of hoops recruits every year, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Add in the fact we're winning 20+ every year and he's putting dudes in the NBA and the recipe seems to be fine.

Oh, and he's not cheating to get recruits here unlike his counterparts in LA, Tempe, Tucson and Eugene.

Reactions: DBT
I wouldn’t call it a recipe.. he would take top 50 players all day if he could. However, the trend line seems very very positive. The program has developed a lot of credibility, and Tad has grown in his recruiting capabilities or has improved his system.

I am pumped, because the next few years look very bright in terms of our potential to become a perennial NCAA tournament team.

You can page through the years here, the RSCI data goes back to 1998.

All the top 100 guys who've been on CU teams

D'Shawn Schwartz #75
Namon Wright #93
Xavier Johnson #67
Josh Scott #50
Tre'shaun Fletcher #100

huge gap

David Harrison #13
Stephane Pelle #64
Jose Winston #48

Back