What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookin ahead to 2021-22

A lot of HS kids won't have the opportunities they otherwise would have. (Yahoo story):

"There are over 1,500 players in the college basketball transfer portal this year, more than twice the number of players last season. The overwhelming number of players transferring comes from a decision from the NCAA stating that student-athletes can now transfer and not have to sit out a year. Due to COVID-19, seniors were also granted an additional year of eligibility, making the transfer portal much more competitive."

Not too often there is a CU player that I don't recognize, but what was the story of Jose?
Was a very short (~5'9"...maybe) PG out of Milwaukee that was a good player for 3 years. Was recruited by Ricardo Patton, but probably didn't live up to the hype of his ranking while at CU and then transferred back home to play for Wisconsin-Milwaukee for his Sr. year. If I remember correctly, it seemed a bit of a surprise & slap in the face to Patton because of the supposed strong bond he had w/ the player. I think he had a really good Sr. year after the transfer. Details my not be exact, but pretty close, at least as I remember them.

You can page through the years here, the RSCI data goes back to 1998.

All the top 100 guys who've been on CU teams

D'Shawn Schwartz #75
Namon Wright #93
Xavier Johnson #67
Josh Scott #50
Tre'shaun Fletcher #100

huge gap

David Harrison #13
Stephane Pelle #64
Jose Winston #48
I see this list and think of the players Patton had while here and all I can think of is that MFer couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Damn.

From what I remember of the 3 guard lineups we ran in spots last year they were effective. I'm only really remembering oregon I think. Either way it's a change. And something that tad will probably like doing now that that lineup will have more size

From what I remember of the 3 guard lineups we ran in spots last year they were effective. I'm only really remembering oregon I think. Either way it's a change. And something that tad will probably like doing now that that lineup will have more size

What will this look like in practice?

1 Guard: Faulkner/Keeshawn/Simpson
2 Guard: Faulkner/Keeshawn/Parquet/Simpson/Clifford
3 Guard: Parquet/Clifford

(Ruffin - injury recovery, Hammond - spot minutes)
is that basically what we're looking at here?

Switching. Lots of switching.

Well, sure, and I like the length we have up there. Any 3 guard lineup we have will be transition heavy. Is is possible we see a lineup lke

Faulkner
Keeshawn
Parquet
Da Silva
Walker

at some point next year?
Seems likely especially against small teams. Or some variant of it with lovering too. So many options

All I know is that we may lack some experience next season, but there are a lot of lineups Tad can put out there that will give us the most talented 5 on the court against nearly everyone we'll play.

The leadership of Parquet, Battey and Faulkner are gonna be key to getting back to the NCAA tourney. All three could be starters, at least at the beginning of the season and they are going to have to set the tone in practice and in games.

Boy is there a lot of talent in the sophomore and freshmen classes! There is gonna be a lot of competition for playing time amongst this group. I don't think its going out on a limb to state that some of these sophomores to be are going to make some big strides in the next six months. This includes the two Walker and da Silva who made huge contributions last season as true freshmen.

Predicting how among the true freshmen is going to hit the ground running is always challenging. How well do they play defense? How about understanding and effectively running the offense? This is how da Silva got significant time once he was healthy. Boy did he know how to work in the offense and defense! Which freshmen are going to do this? Hard to tell, regardless of how many stars the recruiting services game them.

Talent wise, this is group is going to be fantastic. Hopefully it won't take too long for the parts to come together.

Should be an overly exciting year next year, and will cause a lot of competition for playing time. I am really excited.

But at the end of next year, we are going to have a couple very talented guys that aren't going to crack into the rotation that will likely look to go somewhere else, most likely with Tad and CU's blessing and support. This is not a problem, so I don't want to hear about it in ~11 months.

Should be an overly exciting year next year, and will cause a lot of competition for playing time. I am really excited.

But at the end of next year, we are going to have a couple very talented guys that aren't going to crack into the rotation that will likely look to go somewhere else, most likely with Tad and CU's blessing and support. This is not a problem, so I don't want to hear about it in ~11 months.
Preemptive fire tad!

Y'all are way too high on Da Silva, IMO.

DaSilva's going to be a good to very good offensive player. Think Lucas Siewart but much better around the basket and in the mid-range and even able to play a little defense.

I'm not sure where Da Silva is going to get many opportunities for shots. We have lots of guys who can light it up. TDS is going to provide value on dirty plays and easy buckets.
I feel like next year maybe not. In two years if Jabari leaves (crossing my fingers not) and Eli, I can see his role expanding offensively. Especially if he get's a consistent 3.

Clifford won't figure in this mix. Sorry, but true. And you forgot Allen who will likely slot into a 3 Guard in this scenario.

By game 8 next year I'm betting you see this:

STARTERS
PG - Barthelemy
CG1 - Faulkner
CG2 - Parquet
F1 - Walker
F2 - Battey

BENCH
1st G off bench - Simpson
2nd G off bench - Allen
3rd G off bench - O'Brien
1st F off bench - DaSilva
2nd F off bench - Lovering

Last edited:
I'm not sure where Da Silva is going to get many opportunities for shots. We have lots of guys who can light it up. TDS is going to provide value on dirty plays and easy buckets.
He'll develop into a really good all around glue guy during his time here. I'm projecting him to eventually be for the Buffs what Shane Battier was for the Heat.

By game 8 next year I'm betting you see this:

STARTERS
PG - Barthelemy
CG1 - Faulkner
CG2 - Parquet
F1 - Walker
F2 - Battey

BENCH
1st G off bench - Simpson
2nd G off bench - Allen
3rd G off bench - O'Brien
1st F off bench - DaSilva
2nd F off bench - Lovering
Only change I'd make is Barthelemy off bench. Allen starts at 3. I dont like that starting unit at all. Way too small.

Was a very short (~5'9"...maybe) PG out of Milwaukee that was a good player for 3 years. Was recruited by Ricardo Patton, but probably didn't live up to the hype of his ranking while at CU and then transferred back home to play for Wisconsin-Milwaukee for his Sr. year. If I remember correctly, it seemed a bit of a surprise & slap in the face to Patton because of the supposed strong bond he had w/ the player. I think he had a really good Sr. year after the transfer. Details my not be exact, but pretty close, at least as I remember them.

jose winston

Key is gonna start and surprise people.

Allen is being slept on as well.
Do you think we go that small that Key, Eli, and Faulkner start?

I actually really like what Key showed tail end season, but I just really dont like that small of a lineup.

He'll develop into a really good all around glue guy during his time here. I'm projecting him to eventually be for the Buffs what Shane Battier was for the Heat.
If he can develop into a Battier type, that's a very good piece to have. He could score when need be too.

Back