What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookin ahead to 2021-22

Bigs do usually take longer to develop.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Lovering is eased in with Evan & Walker making it so we start 2 PFs and we roll without a center outside of the 15 minutes a game Lovering gives us.

And that's just fine. If he starts early or plays 20+ minutes a night, then to me it means he's an absolute stud.
Oh, 100% agreed. I'd be shocked if he started. If he played 20+ (significantly more than Jabari this year), he's at least as good as we hope, probably better...

But if he can't contribute 15 minutes a game in a positive fashion this year, you gotta be real worried. Saying we need another big because Lovering can't play 15ish is expecting him to be a disappointment.

Bigs do usually take longer to develop.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Lovering is eased in with Evan & Walker making it so we start 2 PFs and we roll without a center outside of the 15 minutes a game Lovering gives us.

And that's just fine. If he starts early or plays 20+ minutes a night, then to me it means he's an absolute stud.
I think it would be great if he could efficiently eat up the minutes that Dallas played.

I think it would be great if he could efficiently eat up the minutes that Dallas played.
Dallas only played 14.9 MPG. Horne 24.5. Even with Bari going up to 25+ and evan probably going up a bit, that leaves a lot of minutes. He needs to replace Dallas at least.

Dallas only played 14.9 MPG. Horne 24.5. Even with Bari going up to 25+ and evan probably going up a bit, that leaves a lot of minutes. He needs to replace Dallas at least.
Yeah, you're right in terms of replacing production; a lot of minutes graduating. It gets confusing looking at the per game averages for players because of missed games.

In terms of an incoming freshman 7-footer from Cheyenne, I'd be happy with him playing an efficient 12-15 per game.

3661 of 6400 (57%), or 114.4 per game

It's hard to project how they all get covered.

If it were another 32 game schedule; another 500 minutes for Jabari, maybe 600-700 total for Quincy? Kee plays another ~400-500 minutes. Lovering plays 400-500, Tristan plays 400 more. That still leaves 1,000-1,200 to split between LOB, Nique, Hammond and Ruffin.

1616813092679.png

Yeah, you're right in terms of replacing production; a lot of minutes graduating. It gets confusing looking at the per game averages for players because of missed games.

In terms of an incoming freshman 7-footer from Cheyenne, I'd be happy with him playing an efficient 12-15 per game.

3661 of 6400 (57%), or 114.4 per game

It's hard to project how they all get covered.

If it were another 32 game schedule; another 500 minutes for Jabari, maybe 600-700 total for Quincy? Kee plays another ~400-500 minutes. Lovering plays 400-500, Tristan plays 400 more. That still leaves 1,000-1,200 to split between LOB, Nique, Hammond and Ruffin.

View attachment 43937
Yea you should have posted this before my whiskey.

He's the 2d highest recruit Tad has ever gotten. If he's not ready to contribute significant minutes by conference time he's disappointing. The chances of getting someone more likely to contribute, especially in a secondary role since Battey and Bari are going to be considered near locks to start and TDS is going to be expected to play a lot of 4 minutes, seems very low. If the best player available is a big, good, but it's not a need. You can't pigeonhole top 60 recruits as non-contributors in year 1.
I'd argue his rating has zero to do with how ready he is in year 1, but his overall potential. If he's more ready earlier, awesome.

Last edited:
I think Lovering will have a big adjustment in year 1 coming from Wyoming HS hoops. It's not like he's played on top AAU teams in a bunch of national tourneys. Year 1 is an "Ease in" year.
As I posted above, he'll get Walton's 12-14 minutes a game next year guaranteed. Maybe a bit more if Tad deems next year a growth/rebuilding year.

Oh, 100% agreed. I'd be shocked if he started. If he played 20+ (significantly more than Jabari this year), he's at least as good as we hope, probably better...

But if he can't contribute 15 minutes a game in a positive fashion this year, you gotta be real worried. Saying we need another big because Lovering can't play 15ish is expecting him to be a disappointment.
Walker was explosive and led the Pac12 in pts, rbs, etc.. per minutes played. Yet, he only averaged 14 minutes per game.
Anyone saying Lovering is a disappointment if he dips below 15 minutes per game is mistaken. Allow him to develop, not set him up to fail with an immediate succeed or stiff determination developed in your head.
Walker and Battey will secure most of the minutes down low next year, bit he will contribute and that too can be considered a success.

Walker was explosive and led the Pac12 in pts, rbs, etc.. per minutes played. Yet, he only averaged 14 minutes per game.
Anyone saying Lovering is a disappointment if he dips below 15 minutes per game is mistaken. Allow him to develop, not set him up to fail with an immediate succeed or stiff determination developed in your head.
Walker and Battey will secure most of the minutes down low next year, bit he will contribute and that too can be considered a success.
How many minutes will it take for him to contribute in your opinion?

How many minutes will it take for him to contribute in your opinion?
I don't have expectations in my mind for Freshman.
Anything above 10 minutes will show that he is contributing. Key didn't average 10 mpg, yet he contributed (particularly down the stretch) and he was on campus in the gym for two years.
If a program is hinged on one player to make a significant impact as a freshman, that is a team with major issues.
70+% of pts, rbs and assists are gone from next years team. Lovering cannot make up that from the seasoned Seniors who graduated. Lovering and Allen combined cannot make up for that, nor can the entire incoming class.
Kin was a generational player, Schwartz was deadly from 3, particularly in big moments, etc... There will be a drop off and placing it on Lovering's shoulders is not fair to him or his growth.

I don't have expectations in my mind for Freshman.
Anything above 10 minutes will show that he is contributing. Key didn't average 10 mpg, yet he contributed (particularly down the stretch) and he was on campus in the gym for two years.
If a program is hinged on one player to make a significant impact as a freshman, that is a team with major issues.
70+% of pts, rbs and assists are gone from next years. Lovering cannot make up that from the seasoned Seniors who graduated. Lovering and Allen combined cannot make up for that, nor can the entire class.
Kin was a generational player, Schwartz was deadly from 3, particularly in big moments, etc... There will be a drop off and placing it on Lovering's shoulders is not fair to him or his growth.
no expectations for the highest rated recruit in the last 18 or so years? Alright.

Next up, your #s are off. This minutes per game thing is a weird metric to base things off of, but according to ESPN Key average 11.5 mpg and Tristan 9.3.

Tristan contributed in a big way when Bari went down.

Next up, where are you getting this idea that the program is hinged on one player making a significant impact as a frosh? In a more realistic vein, lots of programs need frosh to contribute. CU was one of them this year. We needed two to step up, and really got 3 despite a very senior heavy team.

Anyway, it seems like you are just making stuff up. Have a good one.

no expectations for the highest rated recruit in the last 18 or so years?

Alright.
So you set expectations on his development on HS rankings? Might as well let him transfer out now - he's garbage if he does not outperform every player at CU in the past 2 decades.

What a stiff!

I can see Da Silva making big leap forward next year. He looked completely lost in December and could contribute a bit by the end of the year. I think he gets stronger. And I think he will defend well once he gets more settled in.

no expectations for the highest rated recruit in the last 18 or so years? Alright.

Next up, your #s are off. This minutes per game thing is a weird metric to base things off of, but according to ESPN Key average 11.5 mpg and Tristan 9.3.

Tristan contributed in a big way when Bari went down.

Next up, where are you getting this idea that the program is hinged on one player making a significant impact as a frosh? In a more realistic vein, lots of programs need frosh to contribute. CU was one of them this year. We needed two to step up, and really got 3 despite a very senior heavy team.

Anyway, it seems like you are just making stuff up. Have a good one.
I'm not making s... up, but I am on 9 mimosas (my math could be off, it's probably more than 9).

does anyone think there's real risk of the Pac 12, or CU for that matter, continuing the "no fans" policy into the coming season? or upping it to a "25% capacity" policy?

any other conference, I'd say 'no', but I perceive the Pac has been far more conservative in response to Covid than any others, and this could be magnified by the city of Boulder's historically "anti vax" culture.

does anyone think there's real risk of the Pac 12, or CU for that matter, continuing the "no fans" policy into the coming season? or upping it to a "25% capacity" policy?

any other conference, I'd say 'no', but I perceive the Pac has been far more conservative in response to Covid than any others, and this could be magnified by the city of Boulder's historically "anti vax" culture.

Sure it's a risk. Every Pac 12 institution has to abide by the state and county health restrictions in place at the time of the games. Hopefully there's new leadership that's proactive in communicating with those authorities.

This seems strange. Anyone know why they are transferring not playing another year here?

were either of these expected?

did either player communicate intent to transfer, or even insinuate they weren't happy here?

This seems strange. Anyone know why they are transferring not playing another year here?

Agreed. This is weird. But maybe it's a "end of an era" at CU type of decison - Made our run with my guys and don't want to hang around as the Next Gen takes over. Who knows?

I imagine some combo of CU budget + wanting to get a certain degree + no interest in pro ball elsewhere.
I could see them looking to go to George Mason with Kim and Nate.

Also possiblity of Horne coming back? I know he struggled to end the year, but I'd take that for sure:

Back