What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mark Kennedy new, but soon to be old CU President - Official CU president Thread

Conservative victimhood is real. CU even made a whole special Department of Conservative Thought or whatever, and the leadership has been controlled my conservatives for 40 years

Whether we choose to admit it or not, CU-Boulder has a reputation for being an elitist left leaning ivory tower institution. Has for years. The whole “Be Boulder” thing might play well in Texas and California, but it is a huge turnoff for a lot of kids in Colorado. Anecdotally, I know several graduating seniors who really did have the choice between CU and CSU and they chose CSU because they don’t feel like they’d be welcomed in Boulder. This is an issue that the admin at CU obviously doesn’t care about, as they need out of state students more than in-state students. Still, it remains an issue and this dust up with the Regents/Kennedy isn’t going to help matters.

Whether we choose to admit it or not, CU-Boulder has a reputation for being an elitist left leaning ivory tower institution. Has for years. The whole “Be Boulder” thing might play well in Texas and California, but it is a huge turnoff for a lot of kids in Colorado. Anecdotally, I know several graduating seniors who really did have the choice between CU and CSU and they chose CSU because they don’t feel like they’d be welcomed in Boulder. This is an issue that the admin at CU obviously doesn’t care about, as they need out of state students more than in-state students. Still, it remains an issue and this dust up with the Regents/Kennedy isn’t going to help matters.
Sorry, I have to call bull**** on this. Republicans have been ramming "conservative balance" down the throats of the university for decades, and it is and always has been imaginary. The business and engineering schools are overwhelmingly conservative, and are two of the flagship programs. Colorado high schoolers who "choose" CSU over CU either did not get in, or wanted to study programs that CSU excels in (biology, natural sciences, sheep ****ing).

Sorry, I have to call bull**** on this. Republicans have been ramming "conservative balance" down the throats of the university for decades, and it is and always has been imaginary. The business and engineering schools are overwhelmingly conservative, and are two of the flagship programs. Colorado high schoolers who "choose" CSU over CU either did not get in, or wanted to study programs that CSU excels in (biology, natural sciences, sheep ****ing).
Call bull**** all you want. It’s reality based on anecdotal evidence that I’ve personally witnessed. Just because you disagree with it doesn’t make it false.

I think we are venturing into a discussion of reality versus perception. In reality, is CU adverse to conservative ideas? Not at all. In fact, I give CU a lot of credit for being as inclusive in that arena as is possible. Probably more than most similar sized schools, in fact. The perception is dramatically different, though. People outside of Boulder equate CU with the city itself. Two very different perspectives there, and yet they’re conflated. That’s the challenge CU has, and instead of trying to combat that perception, they seem to be embracing it. That is something I don’t understand. The only thing I can think of as an explanation is that the prestige that Boulder brings outside the state boundaries is more valuable than the stigma it brings with many inside those same boundaries.

I think we are venturing into a discussion of reality versus perception. In reality, is CU adverse to conservative ideas? Not at all. In fact, I give CU a lot of credit for being as inclusive in that arena as is possible. Probably more than most similar sized schools, in fact. The perception is dramatically different, though. People outside of Boulder equate CU with the city itself. Two very different perspectives there, and yet they’re conflated. That’s the challenge CU has, and instead of trying to combat that perception, they seem to be embracing it. That is something I don’t understand. The only thing I can think of as an explanation is that the prestige that Boulder brings outside the state boundaries is more valuable than the stigma it brings with many inside those same boundaries.
I agree there is a huge disconnect between perception and reality. The reality is that we have seen decades of conservative leadership, often to the detriment of the institution. If that feeble attempt to correct perception has not changed it, then why bother? The reality is that CU is a damn good, diverse (though not enough), and prestigious institution.

Quick anecdote. My youngest just graduated high school, and was deciding between the business programs at CU and CSU (I know, I know). His perception was a choice between a group of douchey, rich Trumpsters at CU, vs. a bunch of old school ****-kicking conservatives at CSU. End of the day, he had to choose CU because it is simply the better business school.

I agree there is a huge disconnect between perception and reality. The reality is that we have seen decades of conservative leadership, often to the detriment of the institution. If that feeble attempt to correct perception has not changed it, then why bother? The reality is that CU is a damn good, diverse (though not enough), and prestigious institution.

Quick anecdote. My youngest just graduated high school, and was deciding between the business programs at CU and CSU (I know, I know). His perception was a choice between a group of douchey, rich Trumpsters at CU, vs. a bunch of old school ****-kicking conservatives at CSU. End of the day, he had to choose CU because it is simply the better business school.
I think the perception is that all business schools will be pretty conservative. At a minimum, they are pro-business which is antithetical to the generalized perception of most colleges and universities as a whole.

it's easy to conflate CU with Boulder itself –– I'll just say it, I dislike the current state of Boulder the city. A bunch of wealthy "progressives" who will be all high and mighty about inclusive yard signs or wearing masks while on a hiking trail, but don't want anything to do with real diversity (cultural, political, or business...RIP 90% of the good college bars that use to be near Pearl) in their town, as it threatens the utopia

not sure if this is applicable to this thread at all, maybe I just wanted to vent

Seems like CU has really been “hit or miss” with their hires. Off the top of my head they’ve had Gee, Albino, Hoffman, Benson and Kennedy. I know Benson and Kennedy were/are conservative. Not sure about the others. How would you guys rate these Presidents?

Seems like CU has really been “hit or miss” with their hires. Off the top of my head they’ve had Gee, Albino, Hoffman, Benson and Kennedy. I know Benson and Kennedy were/are conservative. Not sure about the others. How would you guys rate these Presidents?

They had Hank Brown for 3 years, as well as Buchner and Bracken - if you want to go back to 90.

I personally don't to start having context around the President until Hoffman in 2005. I would say Benson is by far the best of the bunch, and I would give him a B/B+

The rest have sucked

it's easy to conflate CU with Boulder itself –– I'll just say it, I dislike the current state of Boulder the city. A bunch of wealthy "progressives" who will be all high and mighty about inclusive yard signs or wearing masks while on a hiking trail, but don't want anything to do with real diversity (cultural, political, or business...RIP 90% of the good college bars that use to be near Pearl) in their town, as it threatens the utopia

not sure if this is applicable to this thread at all, maybe I just wanted to vent
Yeah. A lot of your post is exactly why I hate the recruiting argument "How can someone choose (insert college town) over Boulder?" I don't know, maybe because an 18 year-old black kid doesn't want to live in a city with a bunch of 50 year-old white people? Just a thought.

Honestly, those kids seem dumb enough to belong at CSU.

They had Hank Brown for 3 years, as well as Buchner and Bracken - if you want to go back to 90.

I personally don't to start having context around the President until Hoffman in 2005. I would say Benson is by far the best of the bunch, and I would give him a B/B+

The rest have sucked

Albino was awful.

I think your complaint is more about gentrification. It's about money and how it's changing Boulder. Losing or lost a lot of the quirky hippie shops, coffee houses, galleries, eateries, etc. It's frustrating. I call it SoCal Liberal: "I embrace different, social services and diversity as long as it doesn't risk my property values." I still love Boulder, but not like I did.

Yeah. A lot of your post is exactly why I hate the recruiting argument "How can someone choose (insert college town) over Boulder?" I don't know, maybe because an 18 year-old black kid doesn't want to live in a city with a bunch of 50 year-old white people? Just a thought.

It's pretty sad, totally void of real character. Even if it was predominantly white hippy culture, at least it had a bit of edge.

I'm a CU Alum. My daughter was a freshman up at CU this past year. She said she is highly uncomfortable giving her opinions in class because of the harassment conservative students receive from the teachers (aides typically) and other students. I confirmed this, independently, with three (3) of her friends who also attend CU. As one of them said, "I was surprised at how intolerant all these people are" and "they think they are so inclusive but they are the most intolerant people I've ever met."

Having worked at CU for 11 years, I can say I have also seen this first hand many times.

Fellow CU employees and I used to joke how nice CSU folks are compared to CU (who thought their sh!t didn't stink). Sad but true.

I'm a CU Alum. My daughter was a freshman up at CU this past year. She said she is highly uncomfortable giving her opinions in class because of the harassment conservative students receive from the teachers (aides typically) and other students. I confirmed this, independently, with three (3) of her friends who also attend CU. As one of them said, "I was surprised at how intolerant all these people are" and "they think they are so inclusive but they are the most intolerant people I've ever met."

Having worked at CU for 11 years, I can say I have also seen this first hand many times.

Fellow CU employees and I used to joke how nice CSU folks are compared to CU (who thought their sh!t didn't stink). Sad but true.
Sure Jan GIF

There is a big difference between harassment and being challenged when giving an opinion. I had my opinions challenged many times by conservative students while at CU, which is all a part of the education experience. Instead of crying 'harassment', I defended my opinions with facts and data, which is something conservatives seem to struggle with today.

There is a big difference between harassment and being challenged when giving an opinion. I had my opinions challenged many times by conservative students while at CU, which is all a part of the education experience. Instead of crying 'harassment', I defended my opinions with facts and data, which is something conservatives seem to struggle with today.
That's the crux of it.

Are we talking about getting beat up over a defensible conservative intellectual take (i.e., "Too strong of a social safety net becomes a dis-incentive to work and creates a generational cycle of poverty instead of helping people")?

Or are we talking about an intellectually indefensible opinion from the right (i.e., "Homosexuals should not have the same rights as heterosexuals or be legally protected against discrimination")?

That's the crux of it.

Are we talking about getting beat up over a defensible conservative intellectual take (i.e., "Too strong of a social safety net becomes a dis-incentive to work and creates a generational cycle of poverty instead of helping people")?

Or are we talking about an intellectually indefensible opinion from the right (i.e., "Homosexuals should not have the same rights as heterosexuals or be legally protected against discrimination")?
Or are we talking about option C where Gert B Frobe is making **** up to push an agenda on an anonymous message board?

It is definitely a left leaning college, as we all know, but I thought teachers/professors did an awesome job of embracing debate, critical thinking and diversity of thought. If you are afraid to share your opinions in college it is because you don’t believe they will stand up to the test.

Back