What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mark Kennedy new, but soon to be old CU President - Official CU president Thread

It is definitely a left leaning college, as we all know, but I thought teachers/professors did an awesome job of embracing debate, critical thinking and diversity of thought. If you are afraid to share your opinions in college it is because you don’t believe they will stand up to the test.
I had some really narrow minded TAs. On the first day of class in a recitation, a kid next to me was wearing his Greek letters. We went around the room introducing ourselves and our major. When she got to him she said he must be majoring in “not taking no for an answer.” She made some really rude comments about the b-school kids too.

There is a big difference between harassment and being challenged when giving an opinion. I had my opinions challenged many times by conservative students while at CU, which is all a part of the education experience. Instead of crying 'harassment', I defended my opinions with facts and data, which is something conservatives seem to struggle with today.

I was forever making "conservatives" angry in college. Once a whole philosophy class was mad at my utilitarian argument against the death penalty--one genius's take: "sure it's a clever argument, but it's wrong." Another time I nearly got into a fight in a poli sci class after arguing that nazi concentration camp guards deserved due process--literally 40 people jeering me.

I thought it was great.

I was forever making "conservatives" angry in college. Once a whole philosophy class was mad at my utilitarian argument against the death penalty--one genius's take: "sure it's a clever argument, but it's wrong." Another time I nearly got into a fight in a poli sci class after arguing that nazi concentration camp guards deserved due process--literally 40 people jeering me.

I thought it was great.
if you get bored or are otherwise inclined, I'd be interested in reading an outline of your utilitarian argument against the death penalty. I'm very open minded on the issue, but the majority of opponents rely on the uncompelling argument "we shouldn't use the death penalty because if we make a mistake, it can't be undone".

BREAKING NEWS: Some college teachers are c.unty.
MORE BREAKING NEWS: College professors and others that live in academia are generally liberal.

I am not so sure that this is a CU only thing, I would venture to say that this is true for a large majority of those that work in academia (not the elected officials)

if you get bored or are otherwise inclined, I'd be interested in reading an outline of your utilitarian argument against the death penalty. I'm very open minded on the issue, but the majority of opponents rely on the uncompelling argument "we shouldn't use the death penalty because if we make a mistake, it can't be undone".

I don't have it anymore. Something about how the interests of death penalty opponents in not having their government impose death outweighed the interests of death penalty supporters--the damage of state-sanctioned killing to the opponents being more injurious to them than life imprisonment is to supporters.

For fun, I taught a class at CU this last semester.

I just got my course surveys. On the topic of being open and accepting of all ideas, all of my students gave me a 5 out of 5. Except for the one who gave me a 1 out of 5.

My suspicion is that it was the Texan Christian who shared many times that she felt persecuted in Boulder for her beliefs. She got an A in my class and was given every opportunity to believe what she wanted. I'm sure she felt less accepted in Boulder than she did in Texas, but I'm not sure it's a bad thing to be challenged. And that works both ways.

I'm a CU Alum. My daughter was a freshman up at CU this past year. She said she is highly uncomfortable giving her opinions in class because of the harassment conservative students receive from the teachers (aides typically) and other students. I confirmed this, independently, with three (3) of her friends who also attend CU. As one of them said, "I was surprised at how intolerant all these people are" and "they think they are so inclusive but they are the most intolerant people I've ever met."

Having worked at CU for 11 years, I can say I have also seen this first hand many times.

Fellow CU employees and I used to joke how nice CSU folks are compared to CU (who thought their sh!t didn't stink). Sad but true.
Aww. Conservative feels bad sharing opinions? :( Poor girl. Almost had to catch myself before I gave a ****. At least she isn't discriminated against for the color of her skin or whom she chooses to love. You know, things she can't control?

I don’t pretend this is a compelling argument but as a person that believes in small govt it stopped me dead in my tracks when Someone on this board asked “if you believe in small govt because of its tendency abuse power why are you comfortable giving it the power to execute a citizen?” I still haven’t resolved that for myself. But I have settled in on the idea that until I get answers to some very unsettling questions about equity in the justice system I can’t support the death penalty. If we aren’t dispensing justice evenly then that system shouldn’t get to choose who to kill. Once there’s an even spread there’s still a question about a central authority doing all that killing.

it's easy to conflate CU with Boulder itself –– I'll just say it, I dislike the current state of Boulder the city. A bunch of wealthy "progressives" who will be all high and mighty about inclusive yard signs or wearing masks while on a hiking trail, but don't want anything to do with real diversity (cultural, political, or business...RIP 90% of the good college bars that use to be near Pearl) in their town, as it threatens the utopia

not sure if this is applicable to this thread at all, maybe I just wanted to vent
I took a while to process this post, and also took a walk through the Uni Hill Business District and campus.

Here's where I'm at:

Yes...and...

When viewing Boulder through the lens of nostalgia, it does feel like it's lacking. And a housing situation in which it is nearly impossible to purchase a home for less than a million dollars has changed the character. I remember when my professors often lived on The Hill. Professors don't live on The Hill anymore.

And the conspicuous absences of Jones Drug, Taylors and the Boulder Bookstore have changed the feel of The Hill as well.

And Pearl Street Mall has gentrified.

I'm at a phase of my life where I want/need to live in a town. That will change in a decade, and I'll seek more open spaces, and the nature of character of the town will no longer matter. But being in a good town does matter to me now.

And Boulder is my choice. But you have to take the nostalgia out of it.

Pearl Street has gentrified, but I'm always happy to spend an afternoon or evening there. It's still awesome, but differently awesome. And East Pearl is still cool with great character. I stroll down there often.

There are some things missing on The Hill, and I hate the Starbucks, Walgreens and Chase Bank. But there are a bunch of other cool shops that are appropriately edgy. And Albums on the Hill is still there, as well as The University Market and Deli. And while Taylors is gone, Ado's is ****ing awesome (assuming he makes it through the pandemic).

The rich people are generally pretty cool. Certainly better than rich people from other places. Some of the most interesting people in Boulder that I know live in 3 million dollar homes.

I've lived in Boulder longer than any other place in my life, and the Flatirons still get me nearly every day. I'll typically find myself on the corner of Willowbrook and Park every day while walking the dog and take a minute to look at the Flatirons and just breathe for a minute. It's pretty special for me. And I'm on campus most days too. It is as spectacular as ever.

I was itchy to leave Boulder for a few years, and even checked out a few places. None of them stacked up. Maybe I'll work my way out to the West Slope some day, or down into New Mexico. Oregon is in my blood. Who knows?

But I'm not ready to say that Boulder has fully lost it's edge. Or maybe it has, and I have too. Boulder has certainly changed. It's still really good.

I took a while to process this post, and also took a walk through the Uni Hill Business District and campus.

Here's where I'm at:

Yes...and...

When viewing Boulder through the lens of nostalgia, it does feel like it's lacking. And a housing situation in which it is nearly impossible to purchase a home for less than a million dollars has changed the character. I remember when my professors often lived on The Hill. Professors don't live on The Hill anymore.

And the conspicuous absences of Jones Drug, Taylors and the Boulder Bookstore have changed the feel of The Hill as well.

And Pearl Street Mall has gentrified.

I'm at a phase of my life where I want/need to live in a town. That will change in a decade, and I'll seek more open spaces, and the nature of character of the town will no longer matter. But being in a good town does matter to me now.

And Boulder is my choice. But you have to take the nostalgia out of it.

Pearl Street has gentrified, but I'm always happy to spend an afternoon or evening there. It's still awesome, but differently awesome. And East Pearl is still cool with great character. I stroll down there often.

There are some things missing on The Hill, and I hate the Starbucks, Walgreens and Chase Bank. But there are a bunch of other cool shops that are appropriately edgy. And Albums on the Hill is still there, as well as The University Market and Deli. And while Taylors is gone, Ado's is ****ing awesome (assuming he makes it through the pandemic).

The rich people are generally pretty cool. Certainly better than rich people from other places. Some of the most interesting people in Boulder that I know live in 3 million dollar homes.

I've lived in Boulder longer than any other place in my life, and the Flatirons still get me nearly every day. I'll typically find myself on the corner of Willowbrook and Park every day while walking the dog and take a minute to look at the Flatirons and just breathe for a minute. It's pretty special for me. And I'm on campus most days too. It is as spectacular as ever.

I was itchy to leave Boulder for a few years, and even checked out a few places. None of them stacked up. Maybe I'll work my way out to the West Slope some day, or down into New Mexico. Oregon is in my blood. Who knows?

But I'm not ready to say that Boulder has fully lost it's edge. Or maybe it has, and I have too. Boulder has certainly changed. It's still really good.
Its not too late to get in on Klamath Falls before it gets too cool.

There is a big difference between harassment and being challenged when giving an opinion. I had my opinions challenged many times by conservative students while at CU, which is all a part of the education experience. Instead of crying 'harassment', I defended my opinions with facts and data, which is something conservatives seem to struggle with today.

I followed up with my daughter. It was not defending their positions. It happened inside class and outside. Nothing at all to do with the subject matter and mostly personal attacks.

I've learned that oftentimes kids that grow up in strong right (and sometimes left*) households have rarely, if ever, seen or heard well thought out and rational arguments against their world view. Every argument they've "heard" from the "other side" has been either a straw man or a caricature of the actual argument being made.

When they are exposed to real arguments, logic and reason from the "other side," many internalize it as a personal attack - because it's actually pretty hard for a 18 or 19 year old to come to grips with the possibility that something they (and their family) have fervently believed to be true for their entire lives may not actually be true. Cognitive dissonance can be pretty hard on one's emotional well being.

*While this can, and does, happen in left leaning households as well, given that the central tenet of many conservative households is a deference to authority (god, pastor, father, husband, etc) there tends to be a larger proportion from right leaning households that are being confronted with actual logically based arguments against their belief system for the first time in their lives.

If we dont trust the government how can we trust them to make the ultimate decision?

For fun, I taught a class at CU this last semester.

I just got my course surveys. On the topic of being open and accepting of all ideas, all of my students gave me a 5 out of 5. Except for the one who gave me a 1 out of 5.

My suspicion is that it was the Texan Christian who shared many times that she felt persecuted in Boulder for her beliefs. She got an A in my class and was given every opportunity to believe what she wanted. I'm sure she felt less accepted in Boulder than she did in Texas, but I'm not sure it's a bad thing to be challenged. And that works both ways.
From discomfort comes growth.

I would argue that there was little chance of him ever building trust with the faculty. That’s not an endorsement of his job performance, merely an acknowledgment that his was an impossible job from the get-go.

I already feel sorry for the next person, whoever that may be.
It’s a crappy job.

Back