What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Tucker leaves CU for Michigan State

It’s not like it matters at this point but I don’t really believe that this was all a last minute “offer he couldn’t refuse” situation. I remember thinking that the videos of him talking to the phone with the new recruits on NSD seemed oddly canned and impersonal. Maybe I’m reading them wrong but they seemed odd to me especially the call with Jayle Stacks. Tucker talks about him flipping. Struck me as weird.

So your argument is that he got the double double and stayed in the job a few days later?

It’s not like it matters at this point but I don’t really believe that this was all a last minute “offer he couldn’t refuse” situation. I remember thinking that the videos of him talking to the phone with the new recruits on NSD seemed oddly canned and impersonal. Maybe I’m reading them wrong but they seemed odd to me especially the call with Jayle Stacks. Tucker talks about him flipping. Struck me as weird.

Clearly he did not communicate to his agent that he was not open to other jobs this year. That's standard practice. He's a snake.

These are great suggestions. In large part, I fully agree. I’m just not sure they mesh with the timeline. But, I agree with the principles.

Who was dictating the timeline? Mel, MSU, or CU? Seems to me Mel has impulse control issues and flip-flops on a moment’s notice. He confirms his loyalty with RG on Sat and bails two days later.

It was within in Mel’s power to slow MSU’s roll.
It was in Mel’s power to not work behind RGs back.

If Mel was transparent with RG on Mon-Tue, and had he collaborated with the various stakeholders from a place of trust and transparency, it would have been well within the realm of reasonableness to professionally manage the timeline and the PR messaging better.

From my end of the telescope, I see his agent notifying Mel on Sat letting him know “close but no cigar”, causing Mel to double down on his faux loyalty to the Buffs. And then on Monday, his agent hits the jackpot and puts Mel’s full self-serving character on display as demonstrated by unforgettable deceit and a shameful midnight runner. If he really cared about CU+RG+his players, he could have avoided the whirlwind. Instead he is a coward for letting the whirlwind define who he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
snake oil salesman. lied to kids; lied to his co-workers, lied to his employees and employers; lied to the fans; lied to boosters; lied to the press; lied to recruits; lied to players. lied, lied, lied.

there are right ways and wrong ways to do things. timing matters. honesty matters. had this happened at in a normal time window, i would be still be pissed and view him in a very unfavorable light. but, the way he did this is wrong. i understand that the timing was triggered by msu's coach departing at the worst possible time, but their troubles do not excuse tucker's actions.

at the end of the day, he decided a fat check was more important to him than his word to a whole bunch of people who trusted him. he can talk about integrity and doing things the right way and all the rest. he's put a permanent stain on his reputation and, frankly, i now hope he fails miserably. he will be negatively recruited against and rightfully so.

he's not worthy of our respect or thanks. he is simply an opportunistic user who lied to a bunch of kids for his own benefit.

now that i have all that off my chest, i am done talking about this giant lying asshole. i may gloat a bit if he falls on his face.
I feel about spot on with your post. I couldn't get mad at a coach for taking more money for a job he's supposedly qualified for, but the way he handled it is absolute garbage. I don't know how else to put it really?

Clearly he did not communicate to his agent that he was not open to other jobs this year. That's standard practice. He's a snake.
Agent: we are not interested in offers this year. Thank you for calling but we are all set.

school/Recruiter: we are talking about generational wealth and goodies beyond belief.

agent: we understand, but thank you.

school/recruiter: I just eNt to make sure you understand this could very well be a top
10 CFB salary.

Agent: I’ll get back to you.

this is standard practice.

Agent: we are not interested in offers this year. Thank you for calling but we are all set.

school/Recruiter: we are talking about generational wealth and goodies beyond belief.

agent: we understand, but thank you.

school/recruiter: I just eNt to make sure you understand this could very well be a top
10 CFB salary.

Agent: I’ll get back to you.

this is standard practice.
At the end of the day, what we got here was desperation being pounced upon by a snake oil salesman.

Or maybe RG & LC weren't enamored with the idea of the $375k pay increase for Brumbaugh already on the table not being enough... and being expected to step up to pay even more than that for a guy whose favorite recruiting move was finding a recruit because he was sleeping on a coach in the football office of a Mississippi JUCO and looked good to him -- which allowed him to poach 2 guys from Old Dominion in a single class.
Tennessee was willing to pay up. Seems like we don't understand the market. Ive lost employees in the past that really pissed me off because I thought there should have been some loyalty. The reality is that I didn't do my job to keep he employee engaged and comfortable. The first inclination is to rage that the guy was just an asshole, but introspection allowed to me to see that I was not without fault. If CU is serious about being a contender they need to find more money. The Pac12 obviously was not the answer. I don't see the point of having a football program if you are not doing all you can to be the NC. We have been trying to be a discount contender since before Barnett, and the results speak for themselves. Sure, we are spending more than ever, but we are still way behind the programs that play in January. There is more to this story than one greedy person.

All of those calls seemed to lack any focus or energy. He called them all 'big guy' and said basically the same things. He seemed distracted for sure, but that could have been anything.

Tennessee was willing to pay up. Seems like we don't understand the market. Ive lost employees in the past that really pissed me off because I thought there should have been some loyalty. The reality is that I didn't do my job to keep he employee engaged and comfortable. The first inclination is to rage that the guy was just an asshole, but introspection allowed to me to see that I was not without fault. If CU is serious about being a contender they need to find more money. The Pac12 obviously was not the answer. I don't see the point of having a football program if you are not doing all you can to be the NC. We have been trying to be a discount contender since before Barnett, and the results speak for themselves. Sure, we are spending more than ever, but we are still way behind the programs that play in January. There is more to this story than one greedy person.
I'm not upset at Brumbaugh. I'm upset that Tucker, as his boss, would use it as a justification for why he started to entertain the idea of leaving. There was nothing hidden from him or changed on him from the job he was so thankful for a year ago. None of his bosses changed. His budget was increasing. CU did exactly what Tucker expected and he still went shopping - doing it in a very deceitful way with zero integrity.

So your argument is that he got the double double and stayed in the job a few days later?
My feeling is that Tucker was considering the job in earnest and wanted the it the entire time as soon as he heard about it. That may have been before it was public. Dantonio announced his retirement a day before NSD. His retirement didn’t blindside MSU especially since he is remaining with the university.

My feeling is that Tucker was considering the job in earnest and wanted the it the entire time as soon as he heard about it. That may have been before it was public. Dantonio announced his retirement a day before NSD. His retirement didn’t blindside MSU especially since he is remaining with the university.
That’s different than what you wrote before. He very likely had passive interest. MSU is a better job than Colorado.

There’s no evidence to suggest that his interest to actually move came until the major dollar offer came from MSU.

And he said he was the Main Event! How is a 3 star the main event over a 4 star?

That’s different than what you wrote before. He very likely had passive interest. MSU is a better job than Colorado.

There’s no evidence to suggest that his interest to actually move came until the major dollar offer came from MSU.
You are so right. Happy?

I feel like starting a twitter account to remind every MSU recruit that Mr. Integrity said the exact same things to every CU recruit. 'Think before you commit to someone committed only to themselves.'
I would love to see MSU's recruiting collapse below Rutgers levels.

It literally says in the contract the terms for either party terminating the contract, including dates. There’s no statement of damages violated by MT as outlined in the contract. There’s no basis for this type of action other than hurt feelings.

As a trial attorney who mainly handles contract disputes (though not in sports or entertainment), I can tell you that a surprisingly high number of terms of a contract are subject to dispute and interpretation - or at least people willing to try. There are a number of legal doctrines giving rise to disputes and introduction of evidence beyond the four-corners of any written contract.

As I said before, I do not disagree that any attempt to pursue damages on this set of facts and this contract would be ridiculous. Change a fact or term here or there, though, and who knows. Change the “norm” of allowing other schools to talk to your coach... and things get interesting.

As a trial attorney who mainly handles contract disputes (though not in sports or entertainment), I can tell you that a surprisingly high number of terms of a contract are subject to dispute and interpretation - or at least people willing to try. There are a number of legal doctrines giving rise to disputes and introduction of evidence beyond the four-corners of any written contract.

As I said before, I do not disagree that any attempt to pursue damages on this set of facts and this contract would be ridiculous. Change a fact or term here or there, though, and who knows. Change the “norm” of allowing other schools to talk to your coach... and things get interesting.
Colorado has to be careful not to make itself litigious with coaches. We do not want to dissuade future candidates from working in Boulder.

The way Colorado solves this issue is by boosting buyout amounts and setting dates that correspond to the beginning of seasons instead of time periods near the close of the NSD period. It will require some additional investment in HC hires, but will save us in the long run.

Of course, this will also require Colorado to hire good attorneys to help structure the contracts. So far, we’ve gotten jammed the last two times we’ve had a coach change by our own contract language.

Any thoughts about putting a number on the liquidated damages of the sudden vacancy at CU?

The negotiated $3M buyout stated in the liquidated contract is the obvious starting place.

But whether that amount covers the actual cost of damage to CU is not crystal clear, nor do I know if that $3m has a basis that reflects the real-world cost:

Some of these costs that CU will or might absorb includes
- coaching search at HC, assistant and staff levels.
- risk in loss of ticket sales (or growth momentum), donation amounts due to program instability and/or step backwards in on-field performance
- no ROI on commits who are released & additional incremental recruiting costs needed to shore up the roster
- unbudgeted salary adjustments to bring new staff salary costs into alignment with rising market rates

While it’s fun to assume CU could plow the $3M into raises for assistants, it also wouldn’t be surprising if Tucker’s departure ends up setting CU back more than $3M. Maybe much more. We won’t really know the dollar figure until later.

To me, the $3M Tucker owes CU sure seems like it’s not large enough to cover the damages associated with him liquidating the contract. Anybody feel differently?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your point and what is it we do here exactly?
The system is broken
The resets at programs can be devastating
So, instead of backstabbing you pay to play. Buyouts are essentially Transfer Fees, but are generic and are for the coaches only, not the collective changes and net cost of those changes. Tortuous Interference happens in spades in American business and if you have less money or power, then screw you. I am just saying you need to add language about staff interference and tie more fees to the process to help the previous school recover. Not sure of every detail, but as mentioned in so many other posts, our contracts suck!!!

At the end of the day, what we got here was desperation being pounced upon by a snake oil salesman.
And a very desparate out of control Athletic Department with no morals wanting to stay relevant! Two willing parties with equaling abhorrent ethics when it comes to results and money.

The system is broken
The resets at programs can be devastating
So, instead of backstabbing you pay to play. Buyouts are essentially Transfer Fees, but are generic and are for the coaches only, not the collective changes and net cost of those changes. Tortuous Interference happens in spades in American business and if you have less money or power, then screw you. I am just saying you need to add language about staff interference and tie more fees to the process to help the previous school recover. Not sure of every detail, but as mentioned in so many other posts, our contracts suck!!!

Football contracts quite commonly have minimum fee release clauses also. Every single player in Spain has one mandated by law. It's all about setting it high enough to deter interest.

Football contracts quite commonly have minimum fee release clauses also. Every single player in Spain has one mandated by law. It's all about setting it high enough to deter interest.
Exactly. If MT’s buyout was $11 million, he’s still Colorado’s coach.

Back