What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Tucker leaves CU for Michigan State

They were paying Tucker (who had never been a HC in cfb) almost 3 million dollars, so it’s not like they offering chump change.

They just can’t compete with the SEC and Big 10 who have better media rights deals.

But hey, the PAC 12 pays the highest executive salaries and has the highest rent for its headquarters of any conference, so the former tennis player running the conference clearly has the right priorities. *sigh*
$3 million is objectively a lot of money.
$3 million is below average for competitive P5 programs.

Colorado’s AD will have to fundraise in order to make up the gap.

That was a new contract extension after he'd done well.

Ah, ok. So potentially a G5 has more leverage to protect themselves after a extension with a higher buyout knowing bigger programs will come calling?

Idk, obviously we were caught flatted footed on that piece or out leveraged because RG and LC bought the snake oil.

$3 million is objectively a lot of money.
$3 million is below average for competitive P5 programs.

Colorado’s AD will have to fundraise in order to make up the gap.

Tucker was the 9th highest paid coach in the PAC 12 and likely would have gotten a raise if he’d wanted to stay.

That’s not bad for an unproven head coach with a career 5 and 7 record.

You have to protect yourself in case it doesn’t work out, so unless you’re hiring Urban Meyer, I don’t think they should break the bank for head coaches.

I don’t think head coach salary is an issue, I think its assistants pool money is the bigger issue. Other teams have doubled some of CU’s better assistants to get them to leave over the past 5 or so years.

Ah, ok. So potentially a G5 has more leverage to protect themselves after a extension with a higher buyout knowing bigger programs will come calling?

Idk, obviously we were caught flatted footed on that piece or out leveraged because RG and LC bought the snake oil.

MSU made a career 5-7 coach the 12th highest paid coach in all of college football.

They were desperate and Midnight Mel always viewed CU as a stepping stone. A series of events that couldn’t have been foreseen unfolded.

Tucker was the 9th highest paid coach in the PAC 12 and likely would have gotten a raise if he’d wanted to stay.

That’s not bad for an unproven head coach with a career 5 and 7 record.

You have to protect yourself in case it doesn’t work out, so unless you’re hiring Urban Meyer, I don’t think they should break the bank for head coaches.

I don’t think head coach salary is an issue, I think its assistants pool money is the bigger issue. Other teams have doubled some of CU’s better assistants to get them to leave over the past 5 or so years.
Yes. Total compensation is vital. AC budget is crucial, but you need a HC who can get the assistants.

CU should do better at contracts.

But I don't know that Jack Graham's financial management as AD should ever be used as a benchmark.

And in this case I had just posted a small correction to another post about the context of a deal.

MSU made a career 5-7 coach the 12th highest paid coach in all of college football.

They were desperate and Midnight Mel always viewed CU as a stepping stone. A series of events that couldn’t have been foreseen unfolded.

I agree 100%. MSU was desperate and acted irrationally. But this conversation about buyouts seems to show that RG and his team undervalued the importance of that clause last year.

I agree 100%. MSU was desperate and acted irrationally. But this conversation about buyouts seems to show that RG and his team undervalued the importance of that clause last year.
I think I read somewhere that MT’s buyouts in his MSU contract were very similar to what he had here? $6.5M year one and $2.5M year two. That leads me to believe that these are demands by Mel....which says a lot. One thing it says is that he probably wouldn’t have come here with higher buyouts. Another thing it says is “give me an easy way out in year two if I need it.”

Maybe we shouldn’t be so hard on RG regarding this shortfall in MT’s contract. RG didn’t see this coming, oh well. What’s MSU’s excuse?

I think I read somewhere that MT’s buyouts in his MSU contract were very similar to what he had here? $6.5M year one and $2.5M year two. That leads me to believe that these are demands by Mel....which says a lot. One thing it says is that he probably wouldn’t have come here with higher buyouts. Another thing it says is “give me an easy way out in year two if I need it.”

Maybe we shouldn’t be so hard on RG regarding this shortfall in MT’s contract. RG didn’t see this coming, oh well. What’s MSU’s excuse?

Wow, you’re right. And the sub tweet continues about year for year extensions for any penalties from violations prior to arrival.

MT’s buyout got to $3 million after the second NSD. It was $10 million in December. We structured a poor deal.

MT’s buyout got to $3 million after the second NSD. It was $10 million in December. We structured a poor deal.
I’m not saying it was a good deal, I’m saying that CU might not have had a choice. I’m saying it looks like this is a demand by Mel, RG gambled and lost. His deal at MSU is even sweeter, and they have WAY more money committed. There is a pattern here.

I’m not saying it was a good deal, I’m saying that CU might not have had a choice. I’m saying it looks like this is a demand by Mel, RG gambled and lost. His deal at MSU is even sweeter, and they have WAY more money committed. There is a pattern here.
I get it. We have to learn a lesson and make better decisions next time around. We can prevent the poaching, but it will require an investment.

I think I need Mel’s agent for my next career move.
That’s the other thing I forgot to say before. Mel had two different agents during this time. There is only one constant between these negotiations, and that is Snake Oil Mel.

One wonders if MSU was actually in full on panic/crisis mode and lunged off a bridge without thinking, and if the higher ups are now sitting around pondering this deal and getting very nervous.

Last edited:
Last I’ll say about our former HC because I’m over him. For everyone hoping for “karma” to get even and for NCAA sanctions to destroy his new school and for his abject failure, etc, etc, etc, you are wasting your time and energy. He will, most likely, be very successful.

So forget about OFHC and look ahead. He left us better off than we were. RG knows what he’s doing and, believe it or not, the CU job has a great deal of appeal. Very soon a new era will begin.

This was last post in this thread.

Back