What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Sanford – OC/Interim Head Coach University of Colorado

Adele No GIF

Sanford is coaching for his next job. He knows it. We know it. Everybody save for a few half wits knows it, too.

There was some earlier talk about Sanford going to Northern Colorado as their coach.

Considering that he established some strong relationships with the team and Coach Prime is going to be moving a bunch of them out the door Sanford could turn the UNC program around out of the portal with CU kids.

There are going to be a bunch of those guys who don't get BCS level offers but should be solid G5 or FCS level players. They just weren't P5 players thus 1-11.

Better if he goes D1 and get's a nice salary so it offsets his CU severance. No good for CU to subsidize a UNC HC.

Better if he goes D1 and get's a nice salary so it offsets his CU severance. No good for CU to subsidize a UNC HC.
He should at least have G5 OC/QB opportunities, which generally pay better than FCS OC.
Don't see any way he goes FCS as a coordinator. He would go as a head coach.

He still would get paid less than he would as a P5 coordinator and in most cases less than he would as a G5 coordinator. It would though allow him to keep living in Colorado (even if it smells kind of like Nebraska) and would get him back to a head coaching job.

If he can turn it around with his BCS level background that would set him up for a head coaching job at G5.

He strikes me as a guy who would be willing to sacrifice money to be in a situation he wants to be including being the guy running a program.

Don't see any way he goes FCS as a coordinator. He would go as a head coach.

He still would get paid less than he would as a P5 coordinator and in most cases less than he would as a G5 coordinator. It would though allow him to keep living in Colorado (even if it smells kind of like Nebraska) and would get him back to a head coaching job.

If he can turn it around with his BCS level background that would set him up for a head coaching job at G5.

He strikes me as a guy who would be willing to sacrifice money to be in a situation he wants to be including being the guy running a program.
Typo. I meant FCS HC.

No one has addressed why the hell UNC would want him. Yay, thanks for guiding us through the end of a disaster. But he’s still a failed head coach and a failed OC. UNC can find better options than that. And if they can’t, they can find cheaper options.

Just saw a story during the Broncos halftime preseason game on Sanford taking the Mead High School HC job.
Yikes.

The story doesn’t say he is taking the HC job. It says he’s going to be helping out. Doesn’t specify a role. 3A high school analyst? 😂

One of Sanford's chatty neighbors is the uncle of Jason Klatt, the head football coach at Mead High School. Randy connected the two and they arranged a meeting.
Sanford is now helping Klatt and the Mavericks as they gear up for a run at the Class 3A state championship title this fall.

Just saw a story during the Broncos halftime preseason game on Sanford taking the Mead High School HC job.
Yikes.

Not taking over the head job. He is volunteering with them. Jason Klatt is the head coach at Mead if you had bothered to read the article. Jason is the brother of Joel.

BTW, I know one of Mike's neighbors, not the chatty one mentioned in the article. I was told that Mike's wife likes the area and didn't want to move again, so likely he didn't really pursue any other jobs this year. No need to as he had a 3 yr contract so he is still getting paid.

Whatever. That's something to keep him busy.
here’s a more fun question- would you ever have imagined a year ago that we’d have this 2023 coaching staff in place, have overhauled the roster and have a chance to win games?? So glad we are where we are now. Good luck to anyone who was here before. But rather focus on the coaching staff we have now than the past.

I don't have any hard feelings towards Mike Sanford. Legitimately good dude who cares deeply about the players and CU students. I just didn't want him to become our HC or remain on staff. I think, given his values, he should look for a HC job in the RMAC or similar. He's too nice and too much of a purist for this level of competition.

Not taking over the head job. He is volunteering with them. Jason Klatt is the head coach at Mead if you had bothered to read the article. Jason is the brother of Joel.

BTW, I know one of Mike's neighbors, not the chatty one mentioned in the article. I was told that Mike's wife likes the area and didn't want to move again, so likely he didn't really pursue any other jobs this year. No need to as he had a 3 yr contract so he is still getting paid.
He does have to look for a job per the terms of the contract to offset his remaining salary. Whether CU cares to enforce the terms of the contract is another matter.

I don't have any hard feelings towards Mike Sanford. Legitimately good dude who cares deeply about the players and CU students. I just didn't want him to become our HC or remain on staff. I think, given his values, he should look for a HC job in the RMAC or similar. He's too nice and too much of a purist for this level of competition.
UNC

He does have to look for a job per the terms of the contract to offset his remaining salary. Whether CU cares to enforce the terms of the contract is another matter.
He has to make the appearance of trying but doesn't have to really try. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up out of football for a bit or ends up doing analyst work somewhere nearby. I thought he would have been a good get for UNC.

Back