What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Settlement - Salary Cap & Back Payment of NIL to Former Players

Yeah I’m sure Sankey’s primary concern is the players. Players who absolutely do not understand any differences in the way their income is taxed from a W2 to a 1099.

The apologizing for adults at the expense of the players is a near certainty with a segment of the population
Sankey understands well. Kramer taught him. All SEC teams have classes on NIL tax implications. That’s standard today.

The players don’t know what they want, yet. It will emerge, likely with unions. Dartmouth Union has already commented on the House agreement. It will be interested to see who joins their effort.

Everybody seemed to want change, until House. I think it’s the right first step in the right direction to bring meaningful reform to the current chaos. Lots of steps left on this process, indeed. But I have no problem with the current House settlement.

Everybody seemed to want change, until House. I think it’s the right first step in the right direction to bring meaningful reform to the current chaos. Lots of steps left on this process, indeed. But I have no problem with the current House settlement.
Players want to get paid as much as possible with total freedom of movement and the leverage that grants.

Schools want to pay as little as possible with severe restriction on movement and the leverage that grants.

Players want to get paid as much as possible with total freedom of movement and the leverage that grants.

Schools want to pay as little as possible with severe restriction on movement and the leverage that grants.
Agree. The issues are actually pretty simple as you assert, but the resolution is several steps away, choppy steps.

These issues need to be negotiated, IMO, via traditional EE / ER means.

As I said weeks ago, any "salary cap" that is implemented is just a facade as big money schools will still operate their collectives in order to pay players even more. This very clearly benefits the B1G and SEC programs that are now receiving $50m+/year more than ACC and Big 12 programs just from media rights alone and is what is really going to separate the P2 from the B12 and ACC.

As I said weeks ago, any "salary cap" that is implemented is just a facade as big money schools will still operate their collectives in order to pay players even more. This very clearly benefits the B1G and SEC programs that are now receiving $50m+/year more than ACC and Big 12 programs just from media rights alone and is what is really going to separate the P2 from the B12 and ACC.

There is nothing new here, Ross. In house collectives and acceleration toward the P2 are good things IMO.

There is nothing new here, Ross. In house collectives and acceleration toward the P2 are good things IMO.
Only if you mean acceleration toward P2 is going to include more realignment and consolidation of current "P4". Increasing the P2 from 34 to ~48 total programs.

Only if you mean acceleration toward P2 is going to include more realignment and consolidation of current "P4". Increasing the P2 from 34 to ~48 total programs.
Agree, I don’t think it’s just 34. And I don’t think it’s 64. And I don’t think Vandy, Rutgers, etc get cut. I think there is room for CU in this group especially with Prime.

I think the Super Conference(s) emerges simultaneously with athlete pay and EE reform, each accelerating each other.

I’m more optimistic than before House.

Agree, I don’t think it’s just 34. And I don’t think it’s 64. And I don’t think Vandy, Rutgers, etc get cut. I think there is room for CU in this group especially with Prime.

I think the Super Conference(s) emerges simultaneously with athlete pay and EE reform, each accelerating each other.

I’m more optimistic than before House.
How does the money work for adding another 14-20 schools, though? I assume streamers will have to get involved to help make up the difference that NBC, CBS, FOX and ESPN can't/aren't willing

How does the money work for adding another 14-20 schools, though? I assume streamers will have to get involved to help make up the difference that NBC, CBS, FOX and ESPN can't/aren't willing
Legit question.

I think extra monies flow via Sponsorships, ticket prices, new/bigger playoff money, streamers (as you mention), tax on managing collectives, donations, budget cuts, operational efficiencies, less CapEx spending, less facilities expansion, no more slides/barbershops. And some teams may turn to PE.

I don’t think 48 teams will have a problem finding 22 percent rev distribution, but I also don’t think the number remains at 22 especially if players organize.

Rick better hire a CFO.

Legit question.

I think extra monies flow via Sponsorships, ticket prices, new/bigger playoff money, streamers (as you mention), tax on managing collectives, donations, budget cuts, operational efficiencies, less CapEx spending, less facilities expansion, no more slides/barbershops. And some teams may turn to PE.

I don’t think 48 teams will have a problem finding 22 percent rev distribution, but I also don’t think the number remains at 22 especially if players organize.

Rick better hire a CFO.
I'm not expecting all revenues across the P2 to be equal in an expanded format, but I do expect the media rights revenue to be at least in the same ball park across all programs. Maybe a lower initial amount for new members that gradually increases over time, or some kind of a base revenue distribution for all programs with extra distributions to programs based on ratings, success, etc.

Agree that other revenues on a per school basis will need to be the priority and responsibility of the individual programs, but IMO, the massive gap in passive (TV) revenue has to close somewhat.

I'm not expecting all revenues across the P2 to be equal in an expanded format, but I do expect the media rights revenue to be at least in the same ball park across all programs. Maybe a lower initial amount for new members that gradually increases over time, or some kind of a base revenue distribution for all programs with extra distributions to programs based on ratings, success, etc.

Agree that other revenues on a per school basis will need to be the priority and responsibility of the individual programs, but IMO, the massive gap in passive (TV) revenue has to close somewhat.
Agree. Gnarly issues ahead. I hope it all works. Come August, we’ll change our focus.

I really don't have a grasp of what is going on, but I do know this. As a fan I feel sick to my stomach. It's hard enough to follow a team where a good chunk of the players, and in CU's case the coaches, change every year. Next thing to come is players holding out and strikes.

There has to be parity rules
Nothing beats college admin and 3rd party leeches already workshopping loopholes
Even NFL has parity, so get in line you crooked fukks.
Conferences and the NCAA are useless

There has to be parity rules
Nothing beats college admin and 3rd party leeches already workshopping loopholes
Even NFL has parity, so get in line you crooked fukks.
Conferences and the NCAA are useless
The best you can probably hope for is a sliding scale for revenues, like I mentioned above. There's reason for the blue bloods of the sport to agree to P2 expansion, but only to a certain point and as long as they are still unquestionably making more money than most other programs.

Anyone who thinks that N"western or Vandy are getting booted is forgetting that conferences get to use private institutions to get away from FOIA requests to public schools.

What's even the point of college sports at that point?

Just have high school guys in a separate draft, have a minor league system...

Isn’t that what it already is?
It didn’t start that way, but now that kids and parents are treating youth leagues (pre middle school) as full time training grounds for national attention this is exactly what it has become.

The best you can probably hope for is a sliding scale for revenues, like I mentioned above. There's reason for the blue bloods of the sport to agree to P2 expansion, but only to a certain point and as long as they are still unquestionably making more money than most other programs.
That is not fair play, the Dallas Cowboys do not get to spend another $100M to improve the team

If there is not a plan to have a truly fair system, then screw it, things will go sideways again.

I would rather have a 48 team Super League than have uneven conferences

The CFP is essentially the Champions League, and the B1G is the Premier League, and the SEC is La Liga, etc...

That is not fair play, the Dallas Cowboys do not get to spend another $100M to improve the team

If there is not a plan to have a truly fair system, then screw it, things will go sideways again.

I would rather have a 48 team Super League than have uneven conferences

The CFP is essentially the Champions League, and the B1G is the Premier League, and the SEC is La Liga, etc...
College football has always been the least equitable sport out there. I think the networks would like to emulate the NFL as much as possible, but they only control so much. Why would Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Texas, Oregon, Michigan, LSU, OU, etc agree to be compensated the same as Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Illinois, Maryland, etc?

College football has always been the least equitable sport out there. I think the networks would like to emulate the NFL as much as possible, but they only control so much. Why would Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Texas, Oregon, Michigan, LSU, OU, etc agree to be compensated the same as Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Illinois, Maryland, etc?
They do not have to be COMPENSATED the same, but they must have the same Hard Salary Cap, so that as you build your teams, it is a fair fight. You can make more money, and you can build more facilities, and you can pay more white guys to be your coaches, but keep the roster building equal.

We must get Creative

They do not have to be COMPENSATED the same, but they must have the same Hard Salary Cap, so that as you build your teams, it is a fair fight. You can make more money, and you can build more facilities, and you can pay more white guys to be your coaches, but keep the roster building equal.

We must get Creative
There will be a hard salary cap, just like there has been ($0), and now it's $20m/year. However, there are still third party collectives willing to give money to recruits outside of that, so rich programs will circumvent that salary cap to entice players to come to their school. The college environment is unique in that there are wealthy donors willing to donate large sums of money as tax write offs. That simply isn't the case in professional sports, not to mention the pros pay their elite players far more than elite college players make, so elite HS/College players can be enticed by some booster throwing an extra $1m at them.

The best they can do is put some kind of sliding/graduating scale for revenue distribution to make sure all programs are within a certain range of each other and then whatever new league entity is created can outlaw collectives or third party pay for play and try to enforce any under the table compensation.

Unequal media rights payments to teams will surely be discussed in the next TV deal. I’m not sure it happens in the next cycle though, especially if the P2 can skim the best 14 of the little 2 to make a 48 team super conference with 2 leagues, 4 divisions, play only within p2, their own TV and playoff deals, unions, CBA, caps, medical care, etc. Even the NFL knows the value of smaller markets and weak opponents.

I think CU will be in that 48, especially if Stays.

Just my 2 cents.

We must get Creative
This. A cap is an essential part of the CBA. But no union is going to settle for 22 percent of revs like present in the House settlement. I give you cap, you share more money.

Unequal media rights payments to teams will surely be discussed in the next TV deal. I’m not sure it happens in the next cycle though, especially if the P2 can skim the best 14 of the little 2 to make a 48 team super conference with 2 leagues, 4 divisions, play only within p2, their own TV and playoff deals, unions, CBA, caps, medical care, etc. Even the NFL knows the value of smaller markets and weak opponents.

I think CU will be in that 48, especially if Stays.

Just my 2 cents.
But that's exactly why I think unequal media rights payments will have to be part of a new super conference set up. The pie will have to grow much larger to support 14 new teams, but the money probably isn't there to add 14 new members at a pro rata basis and the top 20% aren't going to take a pay cut to a level set payout.

If a 48 team super league forms with everything you mention, I have to think there were will be a tiered revenue structure. They know the value of the small markets and weaker opponents, but they will never agree to share with them equally.

But that's exactly why I think unequal media rights payments will have to be part of a new super conference set up. The pie will have to grow much larger to support 14 new teams, but the money probably isn't there to add 14 new members at a pro rata basis and the top 20% aren't going to take a pay cut to a level set payout.

If a 48 team super league forms with everything you mention, I have to think there were will be a tiered revenue structure. They know the value of the small markets and weaker opponents, but they will never agree to share with them equally.
That is a fail to begin with, they must agree to play together
Why did we punch ourselves in the nuts in 2004 and make ourselves suck?
All these talking dikkheads are like do not compare Alabama to Colorado, cause that is just stupid, yet in 2004-2007 Colorado self destructs from being a top 5 program and falls to the bottom
Meanwhile, Alabama, which is flailing, hires Nick Saban in 2006-2007 and two 6-6 teams play in the Independence Bowl and the two programs go dramatically different ways.

Fair points. I see it differently.

There really does need to be congressional action to, at a minimum, erase Title IX.

I really have to LOL at asking congress to sh*t on female taxpayer citizens rights to make a bunch of “football only” men happy 😆 right after The Dobbs ruling too.

Some of you have daughters as well.

Whats going to happen is probably 80% of schools opt out of paying because they dont have the TV revenue. Esp if courts rule all players are paid equally. The remaining 20% try to join some kind of super conference where pay is allowed. The TV money then concentrates there along with the best players at the sacrifice of the 80%’s TV money. Some of the 20% drop out later shrinking the top league size further because they cant make the money work. Roster sizes shrink quickly from 80 down to 60.

If the 80-85% of schools that opt out cant get TV money they then drop sports or just have club teams and MBB/WBB (title ix). College sports essentially implode. At least the 115 football teams worth ceases to exist. A substantial number of HS players are left unrecruited by the 20% and their career ends.

The NFL sees their pipeline implode and buys the XFL or USFL or whatever its called and starts a minor league and takes players directly similar to baseball.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone has said this, but get ready to see almost all varsity sports go away. Most schools are going to have nothing but football and men's basketball, with the requisite number of women's sports to stay in compliance.

Things like swimming, cross country, track, wrestling, baseball, etc - there's not going to be enough money left over. Title IX is the only thing that will save women's sports at all.
Id agree. I would expect that we will have multiple olympic centers open by the USOC so that elite high school players in those sports have somewhere to go.

I really have to LOL at asking congress to sh*t on female taxpayer citizens rights to make a bunch of “football only” men happy 😆 right after The Dobbs ruling too.

Some of you have daughters as well.

Whats going to happen is probably 80% of schools opt out of paying because they dont have the TV revenue. Esp if courts rule all players are paid equally. The remaining 20% try to join some kind of super conference where pay is allowed. The TV money then concentrates here at the sacrifice of the 80%. Some of the 20% drop out later shrinking the size further. If the 80-85% of schools that opt out cant get TV money they drop sports or just have club teams.

The NFL sees their pipeline implode and buys the XFL or USFL or whatever its called and starts a minor league and takes players directly similar to baseball.
Football programs being spun off from direct/official University affiliation, while maintaining a licensing agreement for the name, logos, facility usage, etc is far more likely than your scenario. There is too much money in college football, and that money is only there if there is some affiliation with the Universities themselves. Minor league football has never worked because fans don't care about them, and that isn't going to change.

Back