What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Transfer Portal and the Buffs

The problems at the tackle position span multiple staffs. CU whiffed on OT Grant Polley, who was a highly touted recruit out of Denton TX that just quit the game almost immediately (awful vetting), OT Jake Moretti was a massive risk that didn’t work out (and rarely does), OT Jake Wray medically retired (terrible luck), and then you have a couple of developmental guys in Senn from Austria and Lichtenhan from CA. Many of us said that Senn would not work out. We’ll see how Tank develops, but he’s at least a couple of years away. The need at tackle was very obvious this last cycle, and we got “guards this year, tackles next year” from Rodrigue. Boateng, Fenske, and Max Wray, if CU can land those other two, is a significant talent upgrade, but the staff needs to find and develop prep talent. At present, we have only one tackle I have confidence in to start and play adequately (Frank Fillip), but he just went under the knife for a torn labrum. It really is very bad roster management at one of the most critical positions on the field. If we don’t land some of these transfers, CU could be in for a very rough season. It’s pretty hard to mask bad tackle play.

part of what we have is a marketing problem – start calling CU and OL school and recruit as such, the rest will fall into place-ish

The problems at the tackle position span multiple staffs. CU whiffed on OT Grant Polley, who was a highly touted recruit out of Denton TX that just quit the game almost immediately (awful vetting), OT Jake Moretti was a massive risk that didn’t work out (and rarely does), OT Jake Wray medically retired (terrible luck), and then you have a couple of developmental guys in Senn from Austria and Lichtenhan from CA. Many of us said that Senn would not work out. We’ll see how Tank develops, but he’s at least a couple of years away. The need at tackle was very obvious this last cycle, and we got “guards this year, tackles next year” from Rodrigue. Boateng, Fenske, and Max Wray, if CU can land those other two, is a significant talent upgrade, but the staff needs to find and develop prep talent. At present, we have only one tackle I have confidence in to start and play adequately (Frank Fillip), but he just went under the knife for a torn labrum. It really is very bad roster management at one of the most critical positions on the field. If we don’t land some of these transfers, CU could be in for a very rough season. It’s pretty hard to mask bad tackle play.
Just play 6 guards and a center!

we've definitely shown that we aren't smart and/or lucky with the risks that we take on OL recruits who were blue chips that we landed because injury concerns scared away the top programs, but then again it's not like we had better options

being an O-Lineman is killer on your body, and if you have critical issues as a 16 year old, can't imagine the odds of those improving as you get older are very high
Funny part is, I believe most of our draft picks one that span have been OL.

All Rod does is reach for G5 tackles and lightly recruited guards. Guy has to go after this year

All Rod does is reach for G5 tackles and lightly recruited guards. Guy has to go after this year
The talent on the line last year was not spectacular. Yet, Rod used schemes to allow the QB time and opened up holes for the running game. Obviously he is challenged as a recruiter, ot would be nice to have the Recruiting Coordinator pit in some effort. If the OL plays well this year, with even less talent, I think he should be given some time and some assistance in Recruiting (and damn sure no more signing your friends son).

You can generally point to a few areas of the team as to why this team was not able to sustain after 2016.

The secondary probably cost us a bowl bid in 2017 and 2018. QB play probably cost us a bowl bid in 2019. Let's hope OT is not that position group in 2021.

Wait, is that an actual take that someone had on 247? That Kiffin would be coming to poach Rod?
haha, yeah. One guy also told me that Rod was a miracle worker with what he did last year.

I don't want to bash Rodrigue too much because I do think he did a good job last year. We shall see what he does with recruiting too improve his position going forward.

2022 Tackles in Colorado is ridiculously good. Even Better than the last two years

and we might get shut out!

fitzpatrick Texas lean
Miller Stanford
Jones Michigan verbal
Gray Arizona lean
miikula blowing up got his first Sec offer
Weahtrby a maybe.

if we just controlled 50 percent of the tackles in the state. We would be loaded.
Since 2016, I count 7 starting tackles on P5 or high G5 rosters and 16 on the two deeps.

I spent way too much time on this but it’s worse than I expected.

2022 Tackles in Colorado is ridiculously good. Even Better than the last two years

fitzpatrick Texas lean
Miller Stanford
Jones Michigan verbal
Gray Arizona lean
Weahtrby a maybe.

if we just controlled 50 percent of the tackles in the state. We would be loaded.
Since 2016, I count 7 starting tackles on P5 or high G5 rosters and 16 on the two deeps.

Have any over the last 3-4 years seen much playing time at these other programs?

Have any over the last 3-4 years seen much playing time at these other programs?

2016 CU took Vaughn and Roberts, meanwhile Reinkensmeyer from Valor Christian started 3 years at VaTech at Center Guard and Tackle. Would have been a 3rd Rd pick this year, but elected the seminary

JT Gentry BYU went on mission rising up as guard

2017 a down year, Cryder is the starting Center at Wyoming at 6’4 300 Draftable

2018 Spencer Lovell Arizona State 6-7 320, RS Sophomore Backup RT and LT. Swing guy

Zach Watts RS Soph Backup RG battling for starting job. 6-5/285

Barret Miller Jr 6’5 moved inside Starting guard

Drake Nugent RS Soph 6’2 300 Starting Center

2020 Too early
Kara’s and Heitmann doing well but entire two deep is seniors

Rosengarten is moving up at RT. They love him

Gentry UVA on mission back 2022

Attebrry Michigan RS.
Willis Kansas Stste redshirting

2021 not there yet except Zuhn I think he graduates in December.

You can generally point to a few areas of the team as to why this team was not able to sustain after 2016.

The secondary probably cost us a bowl bid in 2017 and 2018. QB play probably cost us a bowl bid in 2019. Let's hope OT is not that position group in 2021.
It wasn’t as bad as Espinoza island, but it’s twice in a decade that CU had to throw some WRs into the secondary at the last minute.

It wasn’t as bad as Espinoza island, but it’s twice in a decade that CU had to throw some WRs into the secondary at the last minute.
When you have ten WRs and three safeties, that’s bound to happen.

Rodrique appears to be a great teacher and developer of talent. I've always maintained that OL is more about development than stars, at least compared to any other position. Yes, stars still matter at OL, but development and judgement of raw talent/desire is bigger at OL, than other positions. I can offer only anecdotal evidence and thus it's not an argument, it's just my long-held opinion. Probably a function of there's a lot of poor technique coaching in High School, combined with how big of an effect the weight room and training table will have on incoming frosh. So I point this out not to restart the age-old argument, but to simply state that is my opinion, but I'm not going to argue or defend it here. But yes, I will take a 4-star over a 3-star all day, but I do also think that some coaches are really good at finding diamonds for the OL, more than any other position. We will see if Rodrique is that guy.

Rodrique was always going to struggle to fight P5 schools until he is established as a legit D1 coach (we are not the only ones grumbling about his resume). His resume doesn't back him up on that. So I expected him to be taking guys from lower P5 and mostly G5 offer lists, but guys he could work with. That was my expectation. So far, he's not lived up to that with only 2 signees/commits. I have no problem with either of them, but where's the rest?

My concerns:

(1) Numbers. We only signed 2 last year. That's way too low. We need 5 a year, so in 2022, we need numbers, and we stand at zero.
(2) No OTs in '21 and so far, none in '22. We do have 3 scheduled to visit and 2 would be bare minimum. All look good to me btw.
(3) Regional - He seems to play better East of DFW. I worry about recruits from AL, MS, East Texas sticking here over time. We need to oversign.

Rodrique appears to be a great teacher and developer of talent. I've always maintained that OL is more about development than stars, at least compared to any other position. Yes, stars still matter at OL, but development and judgement of raw talent/desire is bigger at OL, than other positions. I can offer only anecdotal evidence and thus it's not an argument, it's just my long-held opinion. Probably a function of there's a lot of poor technique coaching in High School, combined with how big of an effect the weight room and training table will have on incoming frosh. So I point this out not to restart the age-old argument, but to simply state that is my opinion, but I'm not going to argue or defend it here. But yes, I will take a 4-star over a 3-star all day, but I do also think that some coaches are really good at finding diamonds for the OL, more than any other position. We will see if Rodrique is that guy.

Rodrique was always going to struggle to fight P5 schools until he is established as a legit D1 coach (we are not the only ones grumbling about his resume). His resume doesn't back him up on that. So I expected him to be taking guys from lower P5 and mostly G5 offer lists, but guys he could work with. That was my expectation. So far, he's not lived up to that with only 2 signees/commits. I have no problem with either of them, but where's the rest?

My concerns:

(1) Numbers. We only signed 2 last year. That's way too low. We need 5 a year, so in 2022, we need numbers, and we stand at zero.
(2) No OTs in '21 and so far, none in '22. We do have 3 scheduled to visit and 2 would be bare minimum. All look good to me btw.
(3) Regional - He seems to play better East of DFW. I worry about recruits from AL, MS, East Texas sticking here over time. We need to oversign.

Your #3 is the real elephant in the room.

My concerns:

Even though he knows what he’s doing, nobody in $EC country ever gave him a crack. In a place like the $EC where recruiting is simpler than Colorado, that is very alarming.

fitzpatrick Texas lean
Miller Stanford
Jones Michigan verbal
Gray Arizona lean
Weahtrby a maybe.

Big fan od Mikula. I also like Simpson who is out of state. Don't care if it instate or out of state recruiting.

Back