What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Transfer Portal and the Buffs

Injuries will ruin CU season if OL depth is not added. Need to get either Boateng or Wray. Just read on cubuffs.com that Coach Rodrigue likes Wiley in the run game and he still needs to work a little bit on his pass protection. Looks like Wiley is almost ready to step in as the starter at RT.

Injuries will ruin CU season if OL depth is not added. Need to get either Boateng or Wray. Just read on cubuffs.com that Coach Rodrigue likes Wiley in the run game and he still needs to work a little bit on his pass protection. Looks like Wiley is almost ready to step in as the starter at RT.
Soooo, he is not ready to protect the quarterback but is ready to start! Got it.

Soooo, he is not ready to protect the quarterback but is ready to start! Got it.
The coach said, he has to work a little bit more to improve his pass protection. He has played well in the spring. Even Garret Boles have a lot of things to work on in pass protection. It coach speech. He is playing right tackle. Can give him help in pass protection.

The coach said, he has to work a little bit more to improve his pass protection. He has played well in the spring. Even Garret Boles have a lot of things to work on in pass protection. It coach speech. He is playing right tackle. Can give him help in pass protection.
Comparing Jake Wiley to a guy who was a first round NFL draft pick. I'd tell you to never change, but I don't think you have an intention of doing so.

Comparing Jake Wiley to a guy who was a first round NFL draft pick. I'd tell you to never change, but I don't think you have an intention of doing so.
The comparison is even a 1st round pick in the NFL draft had a lot to work on in pass protection.

The comparison is even a 1st round pick in the NFL draft had a lot to work on in pass protection.
Garrett Bolles struggled with holding and technique in the NFL until last year, but he was a dominant LT at Utah. How about you compare the college careers of these NFL players to the college careers of these hidden gems in CU's program.

Garrett Bolles struggled with holding and technique in the NFL until last year, but he was a dominant LT at Utah. How about you compare the college careers of these NFL players to the college careers of these hidden gems in CU's program.

Boles was an undersized tackle that also struggled in College. He was athletic. For the college level okay. I don't know about dominant. That is why he dropped in the draft. I had him in the 2nd round. I had the guy that went New Orleans from Wisconsin rated higher. My point is you can't write off a young player early in his development. Even Sherman have things to work on in pass protection. I think Wiley is going to be a decent option at tackle for the Buffs.

Boles was an undersized tackle that also struggled in College. He was athletic. For the college level okay. I don't know about dominant. That is why he dropped in the draft. I had him in the 2nd round. I had the guy that went New Orleans from Wisconsin rated higher. My point is you can't write off a young player early in his development. Even Sherman have things to work on in pass protection. I think Wiley is going to be a decent option at tackle for the Buffs.
Sherman is the best Tackle CU has had since Bakhtiari, and he is likely going to be a 6th/7th rounder or UDFA. Garrett Bolles "dropped" in the draft to the mid 1st round. Yes, he also struggled with holding in college, but he was viewed as the best or second best Tackle in that draft.

If Wiley develops into a solid player, that's great, but the CU staff isn't bringing in backup Centers and scouring the portal for multiple Tackles to come in and add depth. They are looking for guys who are going to start because Wiley ain't it at this time.

Sherman is the best Tackle CU has had since Bakhtiari, and he is likely going to be a 6th/7th rounder or UDFA. Garrett Bolles "dropped" in the draft to the mid 1st round. Yes, he also struggled with holding in college, but he was viewed as the best or second best Tackle in that draft.

If Wiley develops into a solid player, that's great, but the CU staff isn't bringing in backup Centers and scouring the portal for multiple Tackles to come in and add depth. They are looking for guys who are going to start because Wiley ain't it at this time.

Well the OL coach said he is impressed with Wiley play so far . Like every young player including Sherman and Bakhtiari they have things to work on. Even if Wiley was a dominant force with no weakness. CU still have to add more bodies to the OL for depth. Injuries do happen.

I’m confused. I thought BigBang was happy with our tackles. Now, not so much?

Well the OL coach said he is impressed with Wiley play so far . Like every young player including Sherman and Bakhtiari they have things to work on. Even if Wiley was a dominant force with no weakness. CU still have to add more bodies to the OL for depth. Injuries do happen.
They are not scouring the portal for bodies, dude. They are looking to add an entire position recruiting class worth of OL because the talent in that position group is very much lacking

I suspect the coaches also know getting a real read on the OL is a little tough. Not like the front seven they are practicing with is loaded by any stretch.

They are not scouring the portal for bodies, dude. They are looking to add an entire position recruiting class worth of OL because the talent in that position group is very much lacking
The talent is young not lacking. You need depth and competition. That is why they are scouring the transfer portal.

So, our only tackle with game experience on the team is out with a torn labrum.

Right now there is one healthy left tackle on the team according to Rodrigue: Frosh Lichtenhan. The other starting tackle right now? Frosh Wiley.

Umm, yea, I'd like another tackle in the transfer portal.

The OL is worse than I thought injury wise. Out for spring with medical issues, some of which are unknown: Frosh Austin Johnson, Nikko Pohahau, starting guards Lytle, Roddick, and starting tackle Filip.

Last edited:
When was the last time you heard a college position coach come out and say "Well, we really suck right across the board. I have a few warm bodies here but the way they are playing now I don't know if they would start for the FCS school up the road in the next two years."

It's coach speak. You work with what you have, you try to build confidence and hope that they turn into the potential you saw when you recruited them. And that potential wasn't seen by many others because you have a guy who despite his size didn't get other P5 offers and another who had a grand total of three.

We are all Buff fans here. Nobody wants these guys to work out more than we do.

Fact it though that our talent on the OL is sub-standard and our recruiting isn't turning that situation around. Yes there are guys like Bakhtiari who significantly play above their expected levels from recruiting but look at the number of OL recruits we have had in recent (and not so recent) years who not only never became legitimate P5 players but who frankly didn't even make it to G5 or FCS level.

It's fun to dream about what these guys could be but next fall will be here soon and watching most of them get dominated by other teams is a rude awakening.

When was the last time you heard a college position coach come out and say "Well, we really suck right across the board. I have a few warm bodies here but the way they are playing now I don't know if they would start for the FCS school up the road in the next two years."

It's coach speak. You work with what you have, you try to build confidence and hope that they turn into the potential you saw when you recruited them. And that potential wasn't seen by many others because you have a guy who despite his size didn't get other P5 offers and another who had a grand total of three.

We are all Buff fans here. Nobody wants these guys to work out more than we do.

Fact it though that our talent on the OL is sub-standard and our recruiting isn't turning that situation around. Yes there are guys like Bakhtiari who significantly play above their expected levels from recruiting but look at the number of OL recruits we have had in recent (and not so recent) years who not only never became legitimate P5 players but who frankly didn't even make it to G5 or FCS level.

It's fun to dream about what these guys could be but next fall will be here soon and watching most of them get dominated by other teams is a rude awakening.

Sure it is coaches speech. Just like how Dorell ripped into the team a few weeks ago for a poor practice. You have to portray a positive culture. Young people do get better overtime. My point is you can't write any player off. I have watched Wiley when he was in High school. He is a decent OL. Will get better with more experience and coaching.

Last edited:
create amiyah scott GIF

This. I saw Wiley play in person 4-5 times in HS and watched quite a bit of his film. He needs to have made some amazing gains since HS to even be serviceable at this point. Possible? Yes. Probable. Doubtful.

This. I saw Wiley play in person 4-5 times in HS and watched quite a bit of his film. He needs to have made some amazing gains since HS to even be serviceable at this point. Possible? Yes. Probable. Doubtful.
I never saw tackle athleticism in him.

We all make typos in these blogs. But I have now seen this multiple times in the same context from the same poster - the word should be “has”.

Filip is 295, can get to 300 pounds by fall camp.

You can't get experience if you are not given an opportunity. I like the young tackles. My only concern is depth. Injuries can happen.
Come on man, injuries will happen. It's pretty much a given.

Back