What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Transfer Portal and the Buffs

Wish both Senn and Nikko the best. We will be fine. Plenty of guys in the transfer portal. Will need to recruit at least 2 tackles in the 2022 class.

Wish both Senn and Nikko the best. We will be fine. Plenty of guys in the transfer portal. Will need to recruit at least 2 tackles in the 2022 class.
The CU offensive line is a steaming pile of manure at present, with the coaches hoping to get bailed out by the transfer portal. They likely will get bailed out (I think and I hope), but relying on transfers every year to fill out your tackles is a dangerous proposition. Prep recruiting needs to improve substantially.

The Recruiting has improved for the O Line in the last 5 years. Players go pro, injuries happen, players transfer. I still think the OL will be good in the fall.

Last edited:
Look at the
I appreciate your optimism, but our OL recruiting has stunk. We can’t keep the top kids in state and have a roster filled with mostly 3* projects. Like it or not it’s a huge concern.
It is tough to get a class to pan out. (Class of 2017)
B8F070A1-54A1-401F-9CD6-18236C1C6222.jpeg

On paper it was. In reality, they pulled in one high quality OL with Roddick having potential to be another good starter for his career. It’s been all down hill since that class
And looking slightly deeper than paper there were obvious issues. Morretti was dropped from OSU because of injury concerns, turns out they were right. Paige was a huge project, and Roddick was a project in the other direction because he was massively overweight.

And looking slightly deeper than paper there were obvious issues. Morretti was dropped from OSU because of injury concerns, turns out they were right. Paige was a huge project, and Roddick was a project in the other direction because he was massively overweight.
And honestly, part of the hype for that class was when that other kid from DeSoto (I think) was committed for a minute and then flipped to ****bailer and started at C as a True Freshman. Losing Polley also sucked, but it doesn't look like he ever got his **** together to play anywhere else.

Roddick has turned out to be a starter, a good player for the Buffs. William Sherman was drafted by the Patriots. At the time Moretti was one of the best tackles in the country coming out of high shool. Grant Polley was also heavily recruited. He was rated higher than Sherman . In 2017 that class was considered a good recruiting class. Sure in hindsight after injuries and etc. The ranking will change.

we've definitely shown that we aren't smart and/or lucky with the risks that we take on OL recruits who were blue chips that we landed because injury concerns scared away the top programs, but then again it's not like we had better options

being an O-Lineman is killer on your body, and if you have critical issues as a 16 year old, can't imagine the odds of those improving as you get older are very high

The next year gave the team two starters and a work in progress. (2018)
View attachment 44540

Carson Lee the following year looks like a future multi year starter at Center. And they say OL recruiting has been bad.
Yes, at some point, guys you recruit have to start for you, and Interior OL recruiting has definitely been OK, but again, watch what they are doing at Tackle and come back to tell us all how good OL recruiting has been

That was a good recruiting class.
Chappelle Show Lol GIF

Roddick has turned out to be a starter, a good player for the Buffs. William Sherman was drafted by the Patriots. At the time Moretti was one of the best tackles in the country coming out of high shool. Grant Polley was also heavily recruited. He was rated higher than Sherman . In 2017 that class was considered a good recruiting class. Sure in hindsight after injuries and etc. The ranking will change.
Dude, EVERYONE knew Moretti was high risk, high reward coming out of HS. Too many (ahem) body enhancers (ahem) in that program. Sometimes they break your body down. Paige was a favor to Good 'ol Six Zero and the rest were mid/low level 3-stars.
Decent. Not good.

Mitchrod is a good coach. The OL got good push in the run game and had decent passpro. The problem is that he cannot recruit at this level. No matter how good of a coach you are, if your guys are losing because of talent disparity, that won’t be enough to win.
I completely agree. He got more out of the OL than I expected by a long shot. I don't know if all the OL recruiting failure rests on him, as I really don't know if that is his responsibility or not. I would suspect the position coach would be at least partially responsible.

As you point out, you have to have P12 talent, even if you are a good position coach, to succeed.

I was piling on, and maybe I should not have.

It escapes me how year after year CU is scrambling to cobble together an OL with duct tape, bailing wire and transfers. Other teams seem to be able to recruit a reasonable two-deep, and CU, for the last ten to twelve years, scrapes together a starting five, some playing out of position, and prays nobody gets hurt. Who was the last CU QB who did not have to run for his life on anything more than a bubble screen?

I completely agree. He got more out of the OL than I expected by a long shot. I don't know if all the OL recruiting failure rests on him, as I really don't know if that is his responsibility or not. I would suspect the position coach would be at least partially responsible.

As you point out, you have to have P12 talent, even if you are a good position coach, to succeed.

It escapes me how year after year CU is scrambling to cobble together an OL with duct tape, bailing wire and transfers. Other teams seem to be able to recruit a reasonable two-deep, and CU, for the last ten to twelve years, scrapes together a starting five, some playing out of position, and prays nobody gets hurt. Who was the last CU QB who did not have to run for his life on anything more than a bubble screen?
If you cannot recruit your position group as an assistant (at the very least), that’s a problem.

It feels to me like 2019 and 2020 had reasonably decent OL talent and depth, but now we are looking at the same situation we’ve struggled with since Barnett was here.

Extra frustrating because the state of Colorado seems to be producing a lot of highly rated olineman over the last several years and they don't seem to choose CU. Hopefully Carson Lee pans out

Back