What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NDSU Football only RunRunRun, death by 1000 cuts no Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
T-Cal breaks down the ndsu QB's and Safety.

I'm sure we can load the box and our Corners can cover anyone they throw at us and our Offense should put up 50.

I'm sure we can load the box and our Corners can cover anyone they throw at us and our Offense should put up 50.

I very much doubt the offense is putting up 50 on NDSU even though as a couple people said... This isn't the same NDSU's of past where they are marching out multiple NFL quality players on each side of the ball. NIL and transfer portal has hit them hard as they haven't been able to recruit the same and they've missed on some developmental players.

I would bet we will see a 2 deep safety look and defensive schemes that require us to run the ball or make short throws on 1st and 2nd down. NDSU on offense... it's going to be a lot of running of the football which will keep the clock ticking. If our Defense is even remotely reasonable this game doesn't turn into a shootout and therefore CU doesn't score 50. NDSU likely won't have costly turnovers or mental mistakes. There's a reason they win ten to twelve games a year in the FCS.

The other item I will add.. NDSU will run alot and those runs will lead to 2nd and 6 and 3rd and 2 or 3. That's exactly what they want to do. As we play the game. Stopping them for a 4 yard run on 1st down or 2nd down is not an accomplishment. That's exactly what they want when the game is close. And as the game wears on those 3 and 4 yarders turn into 8 yarders and 60 yarders. CU needs to win down 1 on defense by either putting enough people in the box that they force a pass play or making a tackle near the LOS so that it's 2nd down and 7 or more. CU wins first down on defense and it's second and 7 or they force NDSU to throw and generate an incompletion. I look back to the CSU game and the way our lines got handled for large stretches. If NDSU does the same. This game is going to be close.

CU should win by 50... But Shurmur is the OC, so who knows what we will get. #2 won't take allow a loss, and with some improved LB play, the Buffs D should stop the NDSU attack.

I very much doubt the offense is putting up 50 on NDSU even though as a couple people said... This isn't the same NDSU's of past where they are marching out multiple NFL quality players on each side of the ball. NIL and transfer portal has hit them hard as they haven't been able to recruit the same and they've missed on some developmental players.

I would bet we will see a 2 deep safety look and defensive schemes that require us to run the ball or make short throws on 1st and 2nd down. NDSU on offense... it's going to be a lot of running of the football which will keep the clock ticking. If our Defense is even remotely reasonable this game doesn't turn into a shootout and therefore CU doesn't score 50. NDSU likely won't have costly turnovers or mental mistakes. There's a reason they win ten to twelve games a year in the FCS.
How about the 4 losses last year? Coaching staff change?

New NDSU HC Tim Polasek was the OC & QBs coach at Wyoming from 2021-2023. Also the Iowa OL coach 2017-2020 and before that he had two stints at NDSU for 10 years out of 11 years so he's no stranger to the NDSU football program. What I like about him is that he didn't lose to CSU while in Laramie.

His offenses in Laramie might have not been flashy but still got the job done.

CU should win by 50... But Shurmur is the OC, so who knows what we will get. #2 won't take allow a loss, and with some improved LB play, the Buffs D should stop the NDSU attack.
Anyone thinking CU will win by more than 3 TD's is delusional. Could CU run away with the game late...Yes. Will this game be close at that half. Also, Yes.

How about the 4 losses last year? Coaching staff change?
11 and 4 and lost in the Semifinals of the FCS. Falls right in line with my comment they average 10 to 12 wins a season. Looking it up. I guess they are even more dominant. They average more than 10 wins a Season.

2022 12-3
2021 14-1
2020 7-3
2019 16-0
2018 15-0
2017 14-1

Travis will have 3 picks and 3 TD's.

Those farm boys won't know what hit them

The will always call it the Hunter hat trick

Last edited:

So everybody’s cool with the backward jersey wrong-armed image of the QB…

Burrito is back, baby!
george GIF

11 and 4 and lost in the Semifinals of the FCS. Falls right in line with my comment they average 10 to 12 wins a season. Looking it up. I guess they are even more dominant. They average more than 10 wins a Season.

2022 12-3
2021 14-1
2020 7-3
2019 16-0
2018 15-0
2017 14-1

The records look good but it does not fit the narrative of what is going on with the NDSU program. If things were truly good, then why did the NDSU head coach leave Fargo for a LBs coach position with USC after spending his life in that part of the country? He was a goner based on what happened that season.

I'm a follower of FCS ball and what you appear to not be seeing is that NDSU has fallen behind rival SDSU since the Jacks won the last two FCS championships and the weakest Dakota school, South Dakota, beat NDSU in Fargo last season. They lost to UND as well and even if the Bison got revenge on USD in the playoffs, it still does not change the narrative of what is going on in Fargo which is basically that NDSU is not the same program it was last decade when they were very strong.

The new NDSU coach appears to be a good hire but the portal has hit them hard and they had a lot of seniors last season so there is work to do in Fargo to get things going again.

CU should win this one and I don't recall NDSU beating FBS teams with the talent that the Buffs have at the skill positions. Plus the Buffs can study the Wyoming game tapes from the last three years in addition to the NDSU tapes. That's more than enough for this one.

I figure it will be closer than we want and then the usual assortment of ass clown fuskers will show up and issue their usual proclamations. Then we will beat the fuskers by 14 or more.

Wait what team was this thread about?

I figure it will be closer than we want and then the usual assortment of ass clown fuskers will show up and issue their usual proclamations. Then we will beat the fuskers by 14 or more.

Wait what team was this thread about?
North Dakota. They used to be the Utes. No, check that. They were the Sue. Now they’re the Eagles or something.

That's certainly a list of incredibly mediocre QBs. FWIW this will be as weak an NDSU squad as they've had in a decade. We better frickin win.
Scary to think all 4 of those QB's are better than anything CU has had outside of Shadeur in about 30 years. Wentz and Lance as top 3 NFL Draft picks is hardly mediocre. You calling Sanders Mediocre if he goes pick 5?

It's very hard for a non-P4 school to sustain the kind of success they had been having.

The recruited some kids who developed way over their projections, we know here that the "hidden gems" strategy isn't sustainable. They have lost some recruits after bigger $ programs at the G5 level saw their recruiting success and started poaching. The lost some kids to transfers to bigger schools.

They have also lost coaches including some key assistants to bigger money programs.

They still have a bunch of tough, smart kids but CU should be able to dominate from the start athletically.
Pre NIL of course... They were able to convince Lance to stay with NDSU after U of Minn came calling late. They also were able to keep Wentz right out of ND because he had been injured in High School (guy's injury history has been forever) and colleges avoided him because he didn't have much tape. The rest of the QB's they've developed into very solid college level QB's.

The OL is an incredible story. It seems like they have an NFL lineman in the trenches every year and the other 4 are always above adequate. And they recruit TE's who can block and can run just enough a route tree to be dangerous on play action.

If this thread was about CSewe and each ram fan got to make one cut, they would fall far short of 1000. So good on you, green and gold Bison!

The records look good but it does not fit the narrative of what is going on with the NDSU program. If things were truly good, then why did the NDSU head coach leave Fargo for a LBs coach position with USC after spending his life in that part of the country? He was a goner based on what happened that season.

I'm a follower of FCS ball and what you appear to not be seeing is that NDSU has fallen behind rival SDSU since the Jacks won the last two FCS championships and the weakest Dakota school, South Dakota, beat NDSU in Fargo last season. They lost to UND as well and even if the Bison got revenge on USD in the playoffs, it still does not change the narrative of what is going on in Fargo which is basically that NDSU is not the same program it was last decade when they were very strong.

The new NDSU coach appears to be a good hire but the portal has hit them hard and they had a lot of seniors last season so there is work to do in Fargo to get things going again.

CU should win this one and I don't recall NDSU beating FBS teams with the talent that the Buffs have at the skill positions. Plus the Buffs can study the Wyoming game tapes from the last three years in addition to the NDSU tapes. That's more than enough for this one.
He was absolutely on his way out. It was also a $150,000+ a year pay raise I believe. The Defense has fallen off..100 percent and as some people said Entz recruiting was falling off as well. Just like USC out NIL CU. South Dakota state and South Dakota appear to have deeper pockets than NDSU and I expect that SDSU will be the jewel of the league going forward.

As someone said...we should out athlete NDSU. Which I absolutely believe to be true. Which is why they are going to play 2 deep and Zone schemes that force CU to win in the trenches. If Sanders keeps a clean pocket and we can run for 4 plus a carry. CU wins this one easily. But I'm on the fence that we simply smash mouth and do what we wish with NDSU on week 1.

Scary to think all 4 of those QB's are better than anything CU has had outside of Shadeur in about 30 years. Wentz and Lance as top 3 NFL Draft picks is hardly mediocre. You calling Sanders Mediocre if he goes pick 5?
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Point 1 = Yes, very scary
Point 2 = Yes, draft status aside, very mediocre careers
Point 3 = Da fuq?

He was absolutely on his way out. It was also a $150,000+ a year pay raise I believe. The Defense has fallen off..100 percent and as some people said Entz recruiting was falling off as well. Just like USC out NIL CU. South Dakota state and South Dakota appear to have deeper pockets than NDSU and I expect that SDSU will be the jewel of the league going forward.

As someone said...we should out athlete NDSU. Which I absolutely believe to be true. Which is why they are going to play 2 deep and Zone schemes that force CU to win in the trenches. If Sanders keeps a clean pocket and we can run for 4 plus a carry. CU wins this one easily. But I'm on the fence that we simply smash mouth and do what we wish with NDSU on week 1.
IMHO there's also a deeper group of pockets in ND among grads of UND than among grads of NDSU. Just from my experience up there.

Pretty damn confident that NDSU can run all the cover 2 they want but they ain't stopping deep shots to Shepard, Horn, Hunter, Wester, Miller, etc.
There will be very few deep shots with the coverage they will play. Go look at the tape they played against Kansas State when KSU had Lockett who was probably in the same elite speed group as anyone CU has. I think Lockett did get one long TD where he got away from the DB's and got a mismatch on a safety.

Difference between that KSU team and CU is that we have a variety of guys to contend with in the 15-to-20-yard variety that's going to cause problems as they cross the field in their zone. I guess in a way if you are defining deep shots as 15-20 yards downfield. I completely agree. NDSU is going to be in a world of hurt trying to cover that if Sanders keeps a clean pocket when they rush 4.

Pre NIL of course... They were able to convince Lance to stay with NDSU after U of Minn came calling late. They also were able to keep Wentz right out of ND because he had been injured in High School (guy's injury history has been forever) and colleges avoided him because he didn't have much tape. The rest of the QB's they've developed into very solid college level QB's.

The OL is an incredible story. It seems like they have an NFL lineman in the trenches every year and the other 4 are always above adequate. And they recruit TE's who can block and can run just enough a route tree to be dangerous on play action.
They have gotten and will continue to get some guys.

Problem though comes when a school is consistently recruiting above their level every other coach notices.

The result is that every G5 program that is trying to rebuild, even some bottom P4 programs who are struggling in recruiting say "We can use of few of those guys" and go after them.

Even with that they will keep some. Some guys would rather win at a smaller school than lose at a bigger one, but enough will end up taking the bigger offer that they can't sustain the level they had.

They have gotten and will continue to get some guys.

Problem though comes when a school is consistently recruiting above their level every other coach notices.

The result is that every G5 program that is trying to rebuild, even some bottom P4 programs who are struggling in recruiting say "We can use of few of those guys" and go after them.

Even with that they will keep some. Some guys would rather win at a smaller school than lose at a bigger one, but enough will end up taking the bigger offer that they can't sustain the level they had.
NIL is going to decimate high end FCS schools.

NIL is going to decimate high end FCS schools.
It may.

It may also benefit them a lot.

Top end FCS programs, some of which have like the Montana and Dakota schools have more support financially and otherwise than a lot of lower end G5 schools may be able to take a big advantage of NIL.

Those schools are never going to be able to compete with the top P4 schools on NIL but they weren't able to compete when the money was under the table either. They aren't going to be giving kids $150,000 a year to play for them.

What they will be able to do though is offer NIL when other FCS programs can't. The NIL that NDSU can offer may only be $500 a month but for a kid getting offered $0 at other FCS schools that can be a big difference. That gets you a kid who is a backup for a couple years and develops into a solid starter.

There will be very few deep shots with the coverage they will play. Go look at the tape they played against Kansas State when KSU had Lockett who was probably in the same elite speed group as anyone CU has. I think Lockett did get one long TD where he got away from the DB's and got a mismatch on a safety.

Difference between that KSU team and CU is that we have a variety of guys to contend with in the 15-to-20-yard variety that's going to cause problems as they cross the field in their zone. I guess in a way if you are defining deep shots as 15-20 yards downfield. I completely agree. NDSU is going to be in a world of hurt trying to cover that if Sanders keeps a clean pocket when they rush 4.
Curious why you're referencing how they played a team/player a decade ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back