What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NDSU Football only RunRunRun, death by 1000 cuts no Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burrito is back, baby!
george GIF
Finally!

There will be very few deep shots with the coverage they will play. Go look at the tape they played against Kansas State when KSU had Lockett who was probably in the same elite speed group as anyone CU has. I think Lockett did get one long TD where he got away from the DB's and got a mismatch on a safety.

Difference between that KSU team and CU is that we have a variety of guys to contend with in the 15-to-20-yard variety that's going to cause problems as they cross the field in their zone. I guess in a way if you are defining deep shots as 15-20 yards downfield. I completely agree. NDSU is going to be in a world of hurt trying to cover that if Sanders keeps a clean pocket when they rush 4.
As Lama said that was a long time ago with a much better NDSU team....KSU also never had the talent that CU does on offense.

As long as there's no stupid turnovers this game shouldn't be close.

He was absolutely on his way out. It was also a $150,000+ a year pay raise I believe. The Defense has fallen off..100 percent and as some people said Entz recruiting was falling off as well. Just like USC out NIL CU. South Dakota state and South Dakota appear to have deeper pockets than NDSU and I expect that SDSU will be the jewel of the league going forward.

As someone said...we should out athlete NDSU. Which I absolutely believe to be true. Which is why they are going to play 2 deep and Zone schemes that force CU to win in the trenches. If Sanders keeps a clean pocket and we can run for 4 plus a carry. CU wins this one easily. But I'm on the fence that we simply smash mouth and do what we wish with NDSU on week 1.

You lost me on the South Dakota schools having more resources than the North Dakota schools. ND has the oil that SD doesn’t have. SDSU does have the benefit of being the only Dakota school with an open air stadium which allows them to expand as they see fit while the other Dakota schools are limited depending on their domed stadiums. But that does not imply they have better resources. USD just renovated the Dakotadome and SDSU did a full rebuild of their football stadium recently. That is something both ND schools did about 25-30 years ago.

The ND schools already had state legislation passed that gives them a leg up in NIL in the FCS landscape and will be able to attract good athletes for years to come.

If CU shows up to play against NDSU, the Buffs will win. Not unlike last year’s CSU game.

It may.

It may also benefit them a lot.

Top end FCS programs, some of which have like the Montana and Dakota schools have more support financially and otherwise than a lot of lower end G5 schools may be able to take a big advantage of NIL.

Those schools are never going to be able to compete with the top P4 schools on NIL but they weren't able to compete when the money was under the table either. They aren't going to be giving kids $150,000 a year to play for them.

What they will be able to do though is offer NIL when other FCS programs can't. The NIL that NDSU can offer may only be $500 a month but for a kid getting offered $0 at other FCS schools that can be a big difference. That gets you a kid who is a backup for a couple years and develops into a solid starter.
I'm not sure any of what you stated makes sense.

Kids developed at a FCS school are going to take NIL money and the opportunity to play on a bigger stage. NDSU isn't winning a recruiting battle versus Colorado State or Wyoming if it comes down to NIL either. NDSU wins recruiting battles because of the culture and the development against other FCS schools. In the past once developed those kids would stay and dominate at NDSU. Now with NIL the opportunity to go to a Utah, Minnesota, Wyoming, Kansas, KSU, etc and play at a higher level or for more money will pull more of the kids out of the program.

I'm just not following where you think NDSU is going to win a recruiting battle because of their NIL funds. Their recruiting footprint is in the Midwest of Iowa, Minn, Nebraska, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Dakota's and they very rarely won a recruiting battle against those P4 schools prior to legal NIL. Unless you think they are going to change their recruiting footprint what smaller FBS school are they recruiting against in the Midwest?

Curious why you're referencing how they played a team/player a decade ago?
I know they recently played and lost to Arizona on the road but I don't think AZ beat them with a single deep ball down field. If I remember correctly Arizona's QB that year was a scramble threat and he did just enough with his arm to keep them honest.

You probably don't watch NDSU. Their style of Defense and Offense hasn't changed very much in a decade plus. With Wentz they through a little more deep balls. With Lance there was more designed QB runs. When they have a fast/athletic slot receiver you can expect jet sweeps as one of the wrinkles into their ground and pound offense. It's been the same style from the past 3 coaches who all were from the same coaching tree. So how they played Lockett will be a true sample of how they plan to play our speed receivers. They will blitz if their front 4 can't win up front just as other teams do. They will be good tacklers. They will run the ball on first down a lot. It's not going to catch anyone by surprise. They don't get cute, but they will take calculated shots like faking punts.

You lost me on the South Dakota schools having more resources than the North Dakota schools. ND has the oil that SD doesn’t have. SDSU does have the benefit of being the only Dakota school with an open air stadium which allows them to expand as they see fit while the other Dakota schools are limited depending on their domed stadiums. But that does not imply they have better resources. USD just renovated the Dakotadome and SDSU did a full rebuild of their football stadium recently. That is something both ND schools did about 25-30 years ago.

The ND schools already had state legislation passed that gives them a leg up in NIL in the FCS landscape and will be able to attract good athletes for years to come.

If CU shows up to play against NDSU, the Buffs will win. Not unlike last year’s CSU game.
I have heard from NDSU alums that South Dakota State is investing more in their program and has a deeper pocket of donors. Along with a much larger state of talent to recruit from locally. Could be just alums being grumpy since SDSU is the cream of the crop now. It will be interesting to see how the Montana schools ascend with the influx of California money moving in.

Oil Money isn't near Fargo or Grand Forks so I'm not sure how that impacts them. The oil money is to the West and trickles into Montana. It's essentially 3/4 a state away from Fargo.

As Lama said that was a long time ago with a much better NDSU team....KSU also never had the talent that CU does on offense.

As long as there's no stupid turnovers this game shouldn't be close.
I believe that was around a Top 35 KSU team. So they were very talented. Finished 8-5 with a loss to NDSU. Their other 4 losses. Unranked Texas and 3 ranked teams from the Big 12. We would do cartwheels if CU went 8-5 with a couple close losses and not a single blow out on the resume. They smoked Michigan in their bowl game.

In all my explaining of NDSU I may have come across I don't think we will win. I do think we will win. I just think we have to play a good game to do so and I disagree with the people who think Hunter, Horn, etc are just going to run wild because they are better athletes. The fact of the matter is NDSU will have a gameplan in place to slow this game down and try to turn it into a battle of the trenches. As I stated very early, CU needs to get out in front and force NDSU to pass. If we win the coin toss we should take the ball. We want to make them have to throw the ball. Their WR's are their biggest weakness.

In all my explaining of NDSU I may have come across I don't think we will win. I do think we will win. I just think we have to play a good game to do so and I disagree with the people who think Hunter, Horn, etc are just going to run wild because they are better athletes. The fact of the matter is NDSU will have a gameplan in place to slow this game down and try to turn it into a battle of the trenches. As I stated very early, CU needs to get out in front and force NDSU to pass. If we win the coin toss we should take the ball. We want to make them have to throw the ball. Their WR's are their biggest weakness.
There not just better athletes, they're far more talented than anyone in their secondary and we have the best QB in the nation throwing them the ball.

There not just better athletes, they're far more talented than anyone in their secondary and we have the best QB in the nation throwing them the ball.
Sounds like the same things being said last year prior to Sanders getting sacked 50 plus times. It doesn't matter how great your athlete is if the QB doesn't have time to throw. It's also not like the NDSU Defense is subpar. It's very likely they won't be the worst defense we face this season.

I'm not sure any of what you stated makes sense.

Kids developed at a FCS school are going to take NIL money and the opportunity to play on a bigger stage. NDSU isn't winning a recruiting battle versus Colorado State or Wyoming if it comes down to NIL either. NDSU wins recruiting battles because of the culture and the development against other FCS schools. In the past once developed those kids would stay and dominate at NDSU. Now with NIL the opportunity to go to a Utah, Minnesota, Wyoming, Kansas, KSU, etc and play at a higher level or for more money will pull more of the kids out of the program.

I'm just not following where you think NDSU is going to win a recruiting battle because of their NIL funds. Their recruiting footprint is in the Midwest of Iowa, Minn, Nebraska, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Dakota's and they very rarely won a recruiting battle against those P4 schools prior to legal NIL. Unless you think they are going to change their recruiting footprint what smaller FBS school are they recruiting against in the Midwest?
They aren't going to win recruiting battles with Wyoming or CSU, usually. They don't need to. They need to out recruit the teams they play and they have the resources to do that.

There are also some kids who would normally fill out the recruiting classes for those G5 schools but who aren't in line for much if any NIL at those schools. NDSU is one of the better supported FCS schools and has more financial resources available than some of the lower end G5 schools. In those cases NIL could and will make a difference even though it is much less than the NIL at the P4 schools or the NIL that those G5 schools may be paying their priority recruits in contrast to the plan B guys.

We NDSU football is only Run-Run-Run, if you force us to pass we will stutter, stumble and go 0-3. Since y'all have Travis Hunter we will never throw the ball on this side of the field, you can take it from me. Few years ago when we played Iowa Hawkeyes CB Desmond King was the Big10 player for the year, we never threw the ball in his direction. So plan for the run , Death by 1000 cuts CSU Buff fans.
F.ucking NoDak.

I know they recently played and lost to Arizona on the road but I don't think AZ beat them with a single deep ball down field. If I remember correctly Arizona's QB that year was a scramble threat and he did just enough with his arm to keep them honest.

You probably don't watch NDSU. Their style of Defense and Offense hasn't changed very much in a decade plus. With Wentz they through a little more deep balls. With Lance there was more designed QB runs. When they have a fast/athletic slot receiver you can expect jet sweeps as one of the wrinkles into their ground and pound offense. It's been the same style from the past 3 coaches who all were from the same coaching tree. So how they played Lockett will be a true sample of how they plan to play our speed receivers. They will blitz if their front 4 can't win up front just as other teams do. They will be good tacklers. They will run the ball on first down a lot. It's not going to catch anyone by surprise. They don't get cute, but they will take calculated shots like faking punts.
I watch NDSU enough to know that not one player or coach is there that was part of the 2013 game against K-State. I'm trying to figure out why you think how they schemed that game has any bearing whatsoever in how they approach the game in August. And FWIW, they have adjusted and changed schemes over the last decade. It's not worth arguing at this point, though. Bison keep it somewhat close through 2 quarters, but CU wins this game somewhere in the range of 35-17 despite the entire country rooting against us.

I watch NDSU enough to know that not one player or coach is there that was part of the 2013 game against K-State. I'm trying to figure out why you think how they schemed that game has any bearing whatsoever in how they approach the game in August. And FWIW, they have adjusted and changed schemes over the last decade. It's not worth arguing at this point, though. Bison keep it somewhat close through 2 quarters, but CU wins this game somewhere in the range of 35-17 despite the entire country rooting against us.
We will see on the Defense. NDSU is going to run out there 4-3 defense and sit back in zones and try to get to the QB with 4 rushers with a mix of some blitzes as needed. One of the best ways to beat their defense is with a QB who is athletic and scrambles. Sanders should do just enough on the ground to keep them honest, but he certainly isn't someone who wants to take chunk gains on the ground.

Grant Olson Defensive Coordinator for the Bison. Played from 2010 - 2013 with the Bison before joining their coaching staff in 2014.
NDSU's current head coach was with the Bison from 2006 to 2012 and 2014 to 2016 before coming back for 2024 as the now Head Coach.

You might want to watch NDSU a little more. They are a model of consistency.

North Dakota. They used to be the Utes. No, check that. They were the Sue. Now they’re the Eagles or something.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my oldest 15 years ago or so. He was doing a 4th or 5th grade project on the Great Plains. He kept talking about the 'Sisiwaks'. Finally I asked him who the Sisiwaks were.

"You know, the Indians that lived on the Plains."

"I've never heard of them."

"No, everybody knows about them. They're in all the books."

"The Sisiwaks? Are you sure?"

"Yeah, they were largest Indian tribe on the Plains."

"Wait. Is the name spelled s-i-o-u-x?"

"Yeah."

"That's pronounced 'Sioux'."

"'Sioux'? Why?"

"It's French."

"Why did they speak French?"

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my oldest 15 years ago or so. He was doing a 4th or 5th grade project on the Great Plains. He kept talking about the 'Sisiwaks'. Finally I asked him who the Sisiwaks were.

"Yeah."

"'Sioux'? Why?"

"It's French."

I think Not Sure was probably making a joke. The thread was about NDSU. His post was about UND. Two very different schools.

"Yeah."

"'Sioux'? Why?"

"It's French."

Ok, but how do you get sisiwaks from Sioux in any language?

Different how?
UND is kinda like the CU of North Dakota and NDSU is like the CSU. UND has the state’s very good law school and is a higher bandwidth venue. I worked with a number of great UND grad attorneys and professionals during my work life so that’s probably skewing my opinion a little bit.

Never lived in ND but spent the better part of 15-20 years traveling to the state and working properties up there and getting wells drilled. Also spent lot of time on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation in ND.

Can’t beat the walleye dinners in Bismarck. Yum…

NDSU is the land grant Ag school. Probably pretty good at what it does. If I wanted to create a hybrid sunflower, do durum wheat research or learn the economics of running a cattle outfit, ND State would probably be a good choice. Like I said, CU/CSU.....

Last edited:
I have heard from NDSU alums that South Dakota State is investing more in their program and has a deeper pocket of donors. Along with a much larger state of talent to recruit from locally. Could be just alums being grumpy since SDSU is the cream of the crop now. It will be interesting to see how the Montana schools ascend with the influx of California money moving in.

Oil Money isn't near Fargo or Grand Forks so I'm not sure how that impacts them. The oil money is to the West and trickles into Montana. It's essentially 3/4 a state away from Fargo.

Those NDSU alums are grumpy because SDSU has been beating them. Same for the other two Dakota schools especially last year. It’s like CU losing to AFA, CSU, and Wyoming in the same year.

It appears that NDSU isn’t investing into the program but I believe they opened a new indoor practice facility not that long ago and so has SDSU. I talked with NDSU fans online when it came to NDSU being potentially in the MWC and learned that one side of the Fargodone has the correct supports to have a new upper deck (or something) and add like 6 to 7 thousand more seats. The Fargodone is 32 years old so they might opt into building a replacement rather than expansion. That would have to include the idea of a move up to FBS.

I just saw a paywall article that had the headline saying NDSU is staying in FCS for now in light of some recent FCS schools accepting invites to CUSA for next year. NDSU’s student body is just about 12k which is small compared to the MWC student bodies. That is one big factor that will keep NDSU in the FCS.

UND is kinda like the CU of North Dakota and NDSU is like the CSU. UND has the state’s very good law school and is a higher bandwidth venue. I worked with a number of great UND grad attorneys and professionals during my work life so that’s probably skewing my opinion a little bit.

Never lived in ND but spent the better part of 15-20 years traveling to the state and working properties up there and getting wells drilled. Also spent lot of time on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation in ND.

Can’t beat the walleye dinners in Bismarck. Yum…

NDSU is the land grant Ag school. Probably pretty good at what it does. If I wanted to create a hybrid sunflower, do durum wheat research or learn the economics of running a cattle outfit, ND State would probably be a good choice. Like I said, CU/CSU.....
dude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back