What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New DC Poll-Top 4 candidates

Rank order the top 4 candidates.

• D Gibbs

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • C Pendergast

Votes: 71 64.0%
  • DJ Durkin

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • G Gibbs

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
You have to be kidding me. His defense leads the nation this year and he is considered one of the TOP DCs in the nation PLUS (even though the AllBuffs wisdom says DCs don't recruit) - he is a top recruiter.

I would take him in a heartbeat even with the Million $ price tag.

Interesting stats you show, but just to clarify, it wasn't his defense in 99-03. That would be the other Stoops brother (Veneables had the "co" title, but focused on linebackers).

BV was the dc from 04-11, but there were only 2 decent years during that span. He was "allowed" to pursue other opportunities so that bobby's brother could come back as the dc.

Nice to see he's doing a bit better at Clemson.

Yep. And John Granato is fairly plugged into the UH scene. I think this is our guy unless that comeback win has given Gibbs second thoughts. Even then, Herman will likely want to hire his own DC anyway.

Yep. Apparently the guy is a big UH booster

That it is, was on the wrong column

Granato is a sports media guy. He's hosted sports talk for quite a while and has gotten into radio management. Like I said, he is plugged into UH athletics. I think his info is legit unless Gibbs has second thoughts.

Are we sure that tweet would not have anything to do with Michigan?
Doubt it b/c I don't think he has been identified anywhere as a possible candidate for Michigan and obviously Harbaugh can get almost anyone on the market. D Gibbs is a great candidate this year but I don't think he is a top choice for UM.

It could, however, be for TT where he also interviewed. So far noone seems to reporting anything on Colorado, in fact I can't find any scoop sites (outside of Rivals) that have formally reported who CU has interviewed. However D Gibbs interview with TT was public knowledge and reported in numerous places. I think RG and HCMM are keeping things on the down low.

There is some bashing of the SEC going on in major media while praise for the PAC given that we are totally dominating the bowl season at this point.

One season will not completely change the national mindset regarding the strength of the PAC vs. the SEC but it is certainly opening people's eyes. I wonder if it could have any influence on coaching decisions if not this season, in the coming seasons. Still the SEC is seen as the place for the conference with the best all-around talent and best coaches. But this season could help change that, making the PAC more attractive for up and coming coaches.

You would think of all the coaches that might be attracted to the PAC, you have to think a DC who thinks he can outreach any OC, they would love the challenge of proving it in the PAC with the crazy talented offenses and the significant variety in offenses to scheme against.

There is some bashing of the SEC going on in major media while praise for the PAC given that we are totally dominating the bowl season at this point.

One season will not completely change the national mindset regarding the strength of the PAC vs. the SEC but it is certainly opening people's eyes. I wonder if it could have any influence on coaching decisions if not this season, in the coming seasons. Still the SEC is seen as the place for the conference with the best all-around talent and best coaches. But this season could help change that, making the PAC more attractive for up and coming coaches.

You would think of all the coaches that might be attracted to the PAC, you have to think a DC who thinks he can outreach any OC, they would love the challenge of proving it in the PAC with the crazy talented offenses and the significant variety in offenses to scheme against.

I hope the power shifts for recruiting. Coaches are smart enough to see through the bull****, but 17 year olds for the most part are not.

I hope the power shifts for recruiting. Coaches are smart enough to see through the bull****, but 17 year olds for the most part are not.
This is not an argument but a question. How many athletes from the core PAC footprint (not including TX since there are no PAC teams in TX and there is an SEC one), choose SEC every year? Is it like 5 or more like 50?

May as well post this:

Possible new DC candidate who MacIntyre has coached with before?

Marion Hobby, Co-DC & DE Coach, Clemson

Marion Hobby
Sport(s)Football
Current position
TitleCo-Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Ends Coach
TeamClemson
ConferenceACC
Biographical details
BornNovember 7, 1966 (age 48)
Irondale, Alabama
Playing career
1986–1989
1990–1992
Tennessee Volunteers
New England Patriots
Position(s)Defensive End
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1996–1997
1999–2004
2006–2007
2008–2010
2011–Present
Tennessee–Martin (S&C)
Louisiana–Lafayette (DT/S&C)
Tennessee (Asst. S&C)
Ole Miss (DL)
Clemson (DE)
New Orleans Saints (DE)
Duke (DC/DL)
Clemson (Co-DC/DE)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Hobby

UAUJBWEFKGUUNLN.20140821175503.jpg

• Named one of the top-10 recruiters in the ACC in 2013 by Rivals.com.

• Clemson has finished in the top 25 all four years he has been an assistant coach.

• In 2008, Duke’s defense held opponents to 23.4 points per game, best in 20 years, and held three opponents to less than 10 points, a first for the program since 1976.

• Has NFL experience, as he was an assistant coach with the Saints in 2006 and 2007. The 2006 Saints had a 10-6 record and won the NFC South. He coached Will Smith, who had 10.5 sacks and started in the Pro Bowl.

• Prior to coming to Clemson, he worked for David Cutcliffe at Mississippi for six seasons (1999-04). During that time, the Rebels had a 44-29 record and four bowl wins.

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&ATCLID=205529432

May as well post this:

Possible new DC candidate who MacIntyre has coached with before?

Marion Hobby, Co-DC & DE Coach, Clemson
Does this mean you are giving credence to the rumor we might be looking at him? I am not sure I am opposed to him, but if true, it is certainly concerning that we may have struck out with our top 3/4 candidates.

Well, I really like the recruiting aspect of his bio
From Rivals last year:
Marion Hobby, Clemson
Buzz: Hobby took the lead on Ebenezer Ogundeko, and their relationship helped to lure the four-star despite a late push from in-state school Syracuse. Hobby was the lead recruiter for four-star wide receiver Mike Williams, one of top talents in the state of South Carolina who also helped fill a position of need in this year's class. Hobby's in-state work continued when he reeled in versatile athlete Jadar Johnson and helped to keep him despite late pushes from other BCS schools.

Clemson D was salty, but not sure how much of that was Venables and how much was Hobby. Also, doesn't look like he's coached out west to this point in his career.

Last edited:
I will laugh so hard, if after all the speculation that the Buffs will get a stud defensive coordinator, they end up hiring Marion freaking Hobby

I would say that it sounds like we missed on our primary targets if we end up moving to Hobby.

I would say that it sounds like we missed on our primary targets if we end up moving to Hobby.
Not sure how else you could read this. Unless perhaps it was a guy HCMM was quietly pursuing and noone (like Rivals) got a whiff of it.

I will laugh so hard, if after all the speculation that the Buffs will get a stud defensive coordinator, they end up hiring Marion freaking Hobby

Go play intramurals, brother. Seriously, you are to this board what Hawkins was as the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back