What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

Now A&M is throwing out all this money but at some point the amount of money a program has to spend is finite. Spending that kind of money to bring in a bunch of freshman that may not produce for a year or two is a gamble when as far as I know to become a free agent all the athlete has to do is put himself in the portal. Another program may not be able to compete with A&M in overall spending, but 10 different teams could each poach a player once proven in a year or 2. Might be more successful to spend money that way.
Is it? Donors there spent $450 mm to renovate Kyle. They’re on the hook for $100+ mm to pay Jimbo. I don’t think limited funds are a concern for aTm.

“Everything now comes down to how willing are your boosters and how rich are your boosters. You’re pretty much f----- if you don’t have the booster bank.” - SEC Coach (on condition of anonymity)

If Day thinks Ohio State needs 13m per year, is CU closer to 130k or 1.3m?
Has the CU AD ever received an individual donation over $10M? Over $5M?

I'd think your $1.3M is close, but I'd be surprised if our total NIL pool for all sports (not just football) was much more than that number per year. And I'm not confident we even reach that number.

I'd think your $1.3M is close, but I'd be surprised if our total NIL pool for all sports (not just football) was much more than that number per year. And I'm not confident we even reach that number.
I really believe if the administration actually committed to the football program, we would see donors show up (including me). No question.

Up until the NIL ruling college football was an arms race. Your conference gets a new TV contract and fans think everything will be great but instead everything just inflates - the Coaching salaries increase insanely and all the costs go up. Now with the NIL world it is still an arms race but with only about the top 20 schools able to compete. So when do schools like CU get smart and start cutting costs - Why do you need to pay a coach $3.6 Million a year (and the guy we have is not worth that). If the system is rigged so most of the schools cannot really compete why compete on Salary with coaches. There has to be plenty of up and comers who would love for a chance to coach football for a lot less. Yes you become a stepping stone program but so what. Colorado is never going to have enough to compete with the Collective pools some of the schools have - we have never had that type of donor base.

Unless college football does something to save itself, I think we are seeing the beginning of the end. This is not sustainable.

Up until the NIL ruling college football was an arms race. Your conference gets a new TV contract and fans think everything will be great but instead everything just inflates - the Coaching salaries increase insanely and all the costs go up. Now with the NIL world it is still an arms race but with only about the top 20 schools able to compete. So when do schools like CU get smart and start cutting costs - Why do you need to pay a coach $3.6 Million a year (and the guy we have is not worth that). If the system is rigged so most of the schools cannot really compete why compete on Salary with coaches. There has to be plenty of up and comers who would love for a chance to coach football for a lot less. Yes you become a stepping stone program but so what. Colorado is never going to have enough to compete with the Collective pools some of the schools have - we have never had that type of donor base.

Unless college football does something to save itself, I think we are seeing the beginning of the end. This is not sustainable.
This.

I think we see some kind of a super league eventually and the rest of whats left of D1 sitting right below it. I guess it could happen a couple of ways: the best teams stage a coup and all leave their conferences in dramatic fashion though thats less likely. Or the SEC and B1G get bigger and bigger super contracts and schools like Clemson, Oregon, and USC become envious and bolt for the better payday like UT and OU did.

The question then becomes what does the TV contracts look like for the tier right below. The BigXIIs plight is probably the outcome for most schools

The only way CU competes is if they divert money from the coaches salaries to the players. If KD wants to win and not just cash a paycheck, he's already doing this.

I wonder if some schools (like CU, but not necessarily CU in particular) start to adjust their recruiting to avoid the kinds of players that would command those kinds of NIL deals. As a program, put together a solid but unspectacular NIL infrastructure that will appeal to the guys who aren’t at the level where they would get the super NIL deals. Don’t even try to play in the same sandbox as the big programs. Just go after guys you think will be good, but not so good that they bolt after two years for a huge NIL deal.

I wonder if some schools (like CU, but not necessarily CU in particular) start to adjust their recruiting to avoid the kinds of players that would command those kinds of NIL deals. As a program, put together a solid but unspectacular NIL infrastructure that will appeal to the guys who aren’t at the level where they would get the super NIL deals. Don’t even try to play in the same sandbox as the big programs. Just go after guys you think will be good, but not so good that they bolt after two years for a huge NIL deal.

i think that will be a natural development once they start realising that its a complete waste of time recruiting those kinds of players

i think that will be a natural development once they start realising that its a complete waste of time recruiting those kinds of players
before we get to the state Jens describes, there will be a phase, for most schools, where they continue to recruit the best players they can and use the players' early success to attempt to generate NIL money

"I know you really liked watching <player> these last two years... pony up a few million and we can keep that dude around one more"

before we get to the state Jens describes, there will be a phase, for most schools, where they continue to recruit the best players they can and use the players' early success to attempt to generate NIL money

"I know you really liked watching <player> these last two years... pony up a few million and we can keep that dude around one more"

They won't get them.

Team chemistry and cohesion is going to be a challenge going forward in some places.
This has been brought up a bunch over the past 6-8 months. I think you are going to see more Texas type situations than we realize.

Texas A&M is probably going to be our best example here in the next 3-4 years.

This has been brought up a bunch over the past 6-8 months. I think you are going to see more Texas type situations than we realize.

If the dudes ball out and win games, it might work out to some degree but even then it's still a team sport and the stars succeed also because the role players play their part. And I think the "salary disparity" in some locker rooms could be a reasonable cause of concern even then.

If the dudes ball out and win games, it might work out to some degree but even then it's still a team sport and the stars succeed also because the role players play their part. And I think the "salary disparity" in some locker rooms could be a reasonable cause of concern even then.
Most certainly. It'll be interesting which coaches can manage this best. It's inevitable that it'll be a problem to an extent

The other problem is that once you do get some good players and they produce on the field they will transfer out in chasing the NIL dollars somewhere else. Just like we have seen this year.

The only way CU competes is if they divert money from the coaches salaries to the players. If KD wants to win and not just cash a paycheck, he's already doing this.
Are the schools allowed to pay the players now? Did I miss that change?

Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

And unlike the pros, I’d not just “game over, see you next week”, these kids sometimes live together, hang out, go to class. It’s gonna be brutal.

Back