What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel

You think? I've been pretty impressed with the job he has done at FSU. Lot of good teams when he was an OC, too. Not sure what the grading scale is here if Jimbo Fisher is a "meh".
He has recruited very well too in a state where FSU is probably third even though Miami has been down for a while now.

Jimbo is very over-rated.

77-17 as a head coach, never finished worse than #23 final ranking, worst season was 9-4, bowl game record of 4-2, 4 conference championships in six years, one national title.

That seems like a top 5 resume to me.

He has recruited very well too in a state where FSU is probably third even though Miami has been down for a while now.

in terms of support, Gators and Noles are 1a and 1b. Canes are a distant third now and actually have fairly weak fan engagement. Getting worse too.

in terms of support, Gators and Noles are 1a and 1b. Canes are a distant third now and actually have fairly weak fan engagement. Getting worse too.
I'm just talking about recruiting, not fan support. Miami has a ton of advantages there.

I'm just talking about recruiting, not fan support. Miami has a ton of advantages there.

No doubt Miami-Dade and Broward produce a ton of talent, but I'm not sure that the U is getting it over the other two. Things can change, but the Miami program seems stuck in the sand.

77-17 as a head coach, never finished worse than #23 final ranking, worst season was 9-4, bowl game record of 4-2, 4 conference championships in six years, one national title.

Somewhat unfair to him, but Clemson has surpassed them as a program in pretty much every way.

You think? I've been pretty impressed with the job he has done at FSU. Lot of good teams when he was an OC, too. Not sure what the grading scale is here if Jimbo Fisher is a "meh".

He is not "meh," but he is not irreplaceable either.

This is the sort of surface level thinking that had Dan Hawkins as the hottest hire in the country.

All about the trajectory, from where he started. Clemson HAS taken their place at the top and Louisville isn't far away either.

Comparing year to year using conference records:

First 5 years, had 4 firsts and a 2nd place finish.
Last 3 years:

8-0
6-2
5-3

Teams are undisciplined and lose games they shouldn't. Sure they are loaded with talent. They have been forever.

2017 is a "shoe me" year. He could get them back into the playoffs, but if he isn't top 10, I'd say he's very replaceable.

This is the sort of surface level thinking that had Dan Hawkins as the hottest hire in the country.

All about the trajectory, from where he started. Clemson HAS taken their place at the top and Louisville isn't far away either.

Comparing year to year using conference records:

First 5 years, had 4 firsts and a 2nd place finish.
Last 3 years:

8-0
6-2
5-3

Teams are undisciplined and lose games they shouldn't. Sure they are loaded with talent. They have been forever.

2017 is a "shoe me" year. He could get them back into the playoffs, but if he isn't top 10, I'd say he's very replaceable.
His buyout is $44 million, so no he isn't on the hot seat, no matter what happens next year.

2017 is a "shoe me" year. .

FSU Free Shoes University

A pun on the nickname that has been attached to them based on their reputation for recruiting integrity.

Then do that thing that you do and dumb it down for me.
Jesus Christ. "Free Shoes University." A bunch of FSU players were suspended about 10 years ago for selling the shoes they received from the athletic department.

Not way better, check his record year 1 to now. Things are slipping back.

In fact, conf records of 6-2, 5-3.
First 2 years identical to last 2.
2016, got hammered by Louisville
Finished well out of the race in 3rd.
Very close wins vs Miami and NCST.

If he slips behind Miami next, that big contract could prove problematic.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ. "Free Shoes University." A bunch of FSU players were suspended about 10 years ago for selling the shoes they received from the athletic department.

Got it. That has got to be past the statute of limitations on puns and such. Most people around here weren't in high school yet then.

Got the same push back when I posted doubts on RichRod, Graham and Mora two years ago.

No push back from me. RichRod was way past his prime. Mora burns teams out. Graham never stayed anywhere long enough.

I think Jimbo Fisher is way better than those three, but time will tell.

To be fair, buffaholic thinks a lot of coaches are overrated.
Yes - that's true.

Just seems like Jimbo is being grouped into the super-elite with this contract and I'd be concerned about their last two years of very mediocre play.
That sort of play is not typical of Urban, Saban or Harbaugh teams.

What would a Chris Petersen or Kyle Whittingham coached team look like at Florida State? (these are two coaches I respect a lot).

My suspicion is that they may not be recruiting at the same level (as judged by the media on signing day), because they'd choose to pass on a few higher rated guys that may not bring the lunch pail (that one ought to rile a few guys up on here). But I'd suspect they'd be in the conversation for National Championships EVERY year, this far into their tenure.

FSU teams (lately) have had poor QB play (possibly just bad luck) but also discipline and heart question marks.

The question I would have is simply this:

Has recent poor QB play the only thing holding back FSU right now, and is that on track to be fixed? -OR-
Has the culture and leadership within the program fell off, and FSU fans should expect more of the same?

I think there's got to be a sliver of doubt, until proven otherwise.

Back