What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel

Well I don't think people are going to say that last year was mediocre, they went 10-2 in the regular season including a loss at Clemson who might have been the best team in the country. This year they are 9-3 and it's not because of QB play, it's because their defense started off terrible letting up an average of 45 points against their first there P5 opponents (also let up 35 to South Florida during that stretch). The guy has taken his team to a NY6 bowl 5 straight years, I guess everyone just has a different definition of mediocre.

in terms of support, Gators and Noles are 1a and 1b. Canes are a distant third now and actually have fairly weak fan engagement. Getting worse too.

This. That comment was off base. There are probably more FSU alums and supporters in Florida than for any other in state school. UF is harder to get into. Miami is very expensive and is small.

This. That comment was off base. There are probably more FSU alums and supporters in Florida than for any other in state school. UF is harder to get into. Miami is very expensive and is small.
Comment had nothing to do with fan support and engagement just about recruiting.

I'm just talking about recruiting, not fan support. Miami has a ton of advantages there.

Florida produces as much talent as Texas and California. But they have the fewest D1 programs per capita. Thus, there is ample talent to go around. Which is why most of the SEC and ACC schools spend a lot of time there.

Florida produces as much talent as Texas and California. But they have the fewest D1 programs per capita. Thus, there is ample talent to go around. Which is why most of the SEC and ACC schools spend a lot of time there.
No ****. It was meant to be a compliment, all I said is he has recruited very well while being number 3 in the state in terms of recruiting advantages. Thanks for the national recruiting landscape overview though.

Miami fans are a ****ing joke. Especially now at the Dolphins stadium. Nonexistent.

This. Though there is more to the story.

UM has wanted to build an on campus football stadium for years but the City of Coral Gables refused to approve it. When they proposed their basketball arena the city made them reduce capacity so it only holds 7900 people. Coral Gables is a lot like Boulder and doesn't want the riff raff or the traffic that would come with an on campus stadium. If UM were a public school they probably could have told CG to pound sand.

UM had been pestering The city of Miami for decades to invest in and upgrade the old orange bowl. The city refused and let it rot. Joe Robbie who owned the Dolphins had also been asking for years for things and finally gave up. But when the Marlins needed a new space Miami suddenly found the money and demolished the Orange Bowl leaving UM no option but to play up North.

About a decade ago an old strip mall across the street from UM in neighboring city of South Miami closed and they could have/should have bought it and built their stadium there. Oh well.

No ****. It was meant to be a compliment, all I said is he has recruited very well while being number 3 in the state in terms of recruiting advantages. Thanks for the national recruiting landscape overview though.

Testy. I don't think FSU is third by any means.

I wouldn't include Jimbo in the list of great coaches but there aren't many who I would right now.

You can argue about the direction of the program and how it compares to Clemson and the other Florida schools but if you quantify success he is certainly close to the top.

Three measures of a P5 head coach 1. National Championships 2. Conference Championships and major bowl appearances (including playoff losses) 3. Quality seasons measured by 10 wins or more.

Jimbo is one of only 4 currently active coaches with a NC. Saban and Urban are way ahead with multiples, the only other one is Bob Stoops and when Les Miles gets hired again he will be the fifth. That puts him in pretty elite company.

Harbaugh doesn't have one despite all the publicity he gets, neither does Patterson, Swinney, Shaw, Malhzon, etc. etc.

Jimbo has also won his division 4 of his 7 years and been second twice. With that record they have been in good to excellent bowls each year. This season is his worst at the school and they won 9 games not including a potential bowl to again put them at 10 wins.

If I'm a Florida State fan I would be ridiculous to be looking to replace him right now. Unless you can get Saban or Urban odds are not in your favor of getting a more successful coach.

If I'm a Florida State fan I would be ridiculous to be looking to replace him right now. Unless you can get Saban or Urban odds are not in your favor of getting a more successful coach.

This is very true. Replacing Fisher at FSU has a high likelihood of regression.

I do think Fisher and Stoops get demerits for playing in second level conferences. Put them in the SEC, Pac-12, or Big 10 and they lose more games than they do now.

Yeah - but that wasn't the question. The question was is he over-rated? I.E. overpaid. He just signed a monster extension after using LSU as the bait. His last few years have been talent-filled floundering clowns on the field compared to just a few years back. So I'll rewrite you post.

If I'm a Florida State fan I would be concerned with the recent trajectory of the program. Can they develop a QB who can lead them and can they play with discipline in all 3 phases, to compete with the top 5 programs - in line with what we are paying Jimbo?

Matt Lubick to Ole Miss (footballscoop).

Ole Miss: Ole Miss has formally announced the additions of Matt Lubick (WRs) and Bradley Dale Peveto (LBs / STC).

Kendall Briles to FAU as OC under Kiffin

Wow. FAU giving zero ****s about what anyone thinks as long as they start winning some football games. Besides the small issues around the scandal at ****bailer, that dude got busted a 2nd time this year by the NCAA for recruiting violations.

Why would he reach out to them if they'd already been terminated?

Most of the Oregon staff had been there over a decade. Some for like 30 years. Very long-term and loyal bunch that probably deserved a face-to-face and would have likely been open to sharing some insights/opinions on the roster & recruiting board. It just looks like bad form.

Well I don't think people are going to say that last year was mediocre, they went 10-2 in the regular season including a loss at Clemson who might have been the best team in the country. This year they are 9-3 and it's not because of QB play, it's because their defense started off terrible letting up an average of 45 points against their first there P5 opponents (also let up 35 to South Florida during that stretch). The guy has taken his team to a NY6 bowl 5 straight years, I guess everyone just has a different definition of mediocre.
6-2 last year
5-3 this year

In the ACC, that's not elite. You and a lot of media give them the benefit of the doubt. The last two years are downward. And he just got the big extension. Certainly there's a sliver of doubt.

Back