What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

SIAP Pretty interesting story on Mike Gundy hiring his OC from DII Shippensburg University in 2013.

Edit: Presented only as interesting, not a suggestion for us.
Anybody believe the OC at Okie State does anything except act as a asst. to Gundy, the real OC? Me either.

No but I could have been his, if you catch my drift... just kidding DBT
140207_2724044_Weekend_Update_Segment___Grumpy_Old_Man_anvver_2.jpg

I give Gundy credit - he had an issue (turnover) and came up with a plan and a PROCESS for solving the problem. He did his homework and found his candidate. Gundy to me is similar to Mike Leach in that he is somewhat of an odd duck in the coaching ranks.

I like to think whittingham and gundy are way more similar than gundy and leach. Football guys.

Herm offered tony White the defensive backs coaching job at ASU, will be interesting to see if he jumps for that dumpster fire.

Herm lost out when Phil Bennet and Billy Napier left. Herm needs a seasoned AC, a guy with recent CFB experience. A guy who knows how to be the fork, not the devil. Herm, may I present your newest AC candidate.

Dan hawkins.jpg

He was a crappy HC, but if all he had to concern himself with was pounding it and launching it, he might actually be successful.
He has never called plays. Went straight from coaching fullbacks to being a head coach, with Petersen being the guy calling the offense. Before that, another great OC guy in Koetter had been HC.

He has never called plays. Went straight from coaching fullbacks to being a head coach, with Petersen being the guy calling the offense. Before that, another great OC guy in Koetter had been HC.
Maybe that was his problem. Much the same way that Neuhisal went from WR coach to HC and never took the step of OC. OC might be Danny Boy’s calling.

We will never know, but this kind of stuff is fun to discuss.

It's hard to imagine that Boise State was lucky enough to survive that debacle. How lucky was Hawkins to stumble upon Petersen (Koetter took the OC with him to ASU, iirc)? Dumb luck that he parlayed into a Bohn-doggle.

Maybe that was his problem. Much the same way that Neuhisal went from WR coach to HC and never took the step of OC. OC might be Danny Boy’s calling.

We will never know, but this kind of stuff is fun to discuss.
I know 2 things about Hawkins and his meddling with the offensive coordination from the time he was here:

1) He refused to allow Helfrich to install an Oregon style attack to best utilize B Jax and then Hansen

2) He jumped into the middle of things when they were installing an option play to tell Darian Hagan he was teaching it wrong

I know 2 things about Hawkins and his meddling with the offensive coordination from the time he was here:

1) He refused to allow Helfrich to install an Oregon style attack to best utilize B Jax and then Hansen

2) He jumped into the middle of things when they were installing an option play to tell Darian Hagan he was teaching it wrong

Hilarious. I never heard that. Ok, so I stand corrected.

Telling Darian Hagan that he’s teaching the option wrong. Precious.

This ain’t intramurals, brother. Get the real expert in there!

Back