What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I wish we'd hear something about possible assistants, qb coach perhaps. I hope they get on that and don't wait too long where they are reaching for someone.

I wish we'd hear something about possible assistants, qb coach perhaps. I hope they get on that and don't wait too long where they are reaching for someone.
It's apparently looked down upon to **** all over people's hopes on Christmas...

So I will refrain.

Huge blow to the Wazzu program. Grinch coming in as DC is pretty much the key thing that made the difference between what we were used to with Leach teams and what they did the last couple years. He did an amazing job as a DC in a very challenging situation.

Per Fooball Scoop:
Ohio State: Washington State defensive coordinator Alex Grinch will join the Ohio State staff reports Alex Gleitman. Last week we reported Grinch was a strong candidate to go to Ohio State.

Huge blow to the Wazzu program. Grinch coming in as DC is pretty much the key thing that made the difference between what we were used to with Leach teams and what they did the last couple years. He did an amazing job as a DC in a very challenging situation.

Per Fooball Scoop:
Ohio State: Washington State defensive coordinator Alex Grinch will join the Ohio State staff reports Alex Gleitman. Last week we reported Grinch was a strong candidate to go to Ohio State.
Obviously no seasick crocodiles wanted the Columbus gig.

Without a relatively solid defense, Leach's slinging offensive schtick doesn't hold up well, right? What reliable resources keep the Coug machine rolling in Pullman? I'm betting that as things unravel, the pirate jumps ship before his stock falls in a couple years.

Obviously no seasick crocodiles wanted the Columbus gig.

Without a relatively solid defense, Leach's slinging offensive schtick doesn't hold up well, right? What reliable resources keep the Coug machine rolling in Pullman? I'm betting that as things unravel, the pirate jumps ship before his stock falls in a couple years.

I think he'll get some solid up and comer like Grinch was when he took that gig-he's gotta be going to OSU as the Co-DC.......I think an assistant there (Kerry Coombs?) may get a DC gig somewhere else.

They’d have to figure out who would run the team day to day and when he’s doing his radio gigs, but they’d be back in the championship game every year and it’s be good for CU

I don't see it as particularly good for CU - Logan does not have a record of players he coaches going to CU.

I don't see it as particularly good for CU - Logan does not have a record of players he coaches going to CU.
Neither does Valor as a program up to this point, other than Stenstrom, and I think Chev is the main reason that relationship is/was strong. At the very least, Logan being there wouldn’t hurt the Buffs like Thenell does at Mullen.

If memory serves, Logan has been on record saying that he loves CU and wants kids to go to CU but, he neither steers kids to CU nor away. He helps them make the decision that is best for the kids. That is his job as a mentor and a coach and I have no problem with that.

Sometimes, kids just don’t want to play for the state school. They want to go somewhere else. You know, like Darian Hagan or Alfred Williams for example.

If memory serves, Logan has been on record saying that he loves CU and wants kids to go to CU but, he neither steers kids to CU nor away. He helps them make the decision that is best for the kids. That is his job as a mentor and a coach and I have no problem with that.

Sometimes, kids just don’t want to play for the state school. They want to go somewhere else. You know, like Darian Hagan or Alfred Williams for example.
My BIL played for Logan back in his Arvada West days and he said he never actually got too involved in recruiting, for better or worse. He said there were very few exceptions where he’d actually “help” a kid or get involved. The guy is just too busy. He isn’t even involved with the Freshman/JV teams in his program, and delegates most day to day practice stuff to his ACs.

What is going to happen once all the FBS teams (129 teams) hire a 10th coach and the vast majority of those are likely top assistant coaches from FCS or D2, or even other FBS schools? The mass amount of upward movement from that many coaches getting filled is going to be another interesting wave of hires like the head coaches were. If Grinch is any indication, there could be some interesting guys that could get wooed away from certain programs and that would affect the final signing period! We are essentially looking for our QB coach and our 10th guy, and since there has not been any talk of movement, we look as though we might be looking at active coaches that are finishing or are going to finish their bowl games soon?

SIAP Pretty interesting story on Mike Gundy hiring his OC from DII Shippensburg University in 2013.
Gundy's challenge boils down to this: Would any Power 5 coach conduct a coordinator search that begins on the internet, includes several phone calls to a football office where no one answers and ends in a Pennsylvania hotel lobby with a young Division II coach making $52,500 a year?

"No chance," Gundy told ESPN.com. "I don't care what people think. They can go fly a kite for all I care. Nah, most people aren't going to be strong enough in their own skin to say there's a guy at Division II wherever that's the best coach for a major Power 5 conference school that had been in the top five in offense year after year after year."

Gundy's pursuit and hiring of Mike Yurcich in 2013 to coordinate Oklahoma State's offense should at least make other coaches think before they target big-name assistants in the coming weeks. Oklahoma State leads the nation in passing and ranks third in scoring and second in total offense under Yurcich, a 2016 Broyles Award finalist.

Edit: Presented only as interesting, not a suggestion for us.

Last edited:
Gundy can do that because he's the architect of that offense. He can go outside and bring in bright young minds then conform them to his vision. I'd feel comfortable with HCMM doing that on defense. On offense? not so much. See: Lindgren, Brian.

My BIL played for Logan back in his Arvada West days and he said he never actually got too involved in recruiting, for better or worse. He said there were very few exceptions where he’d actually “help” a kid or get involved. The guy is just too busy. He isn’t even involved with the Freshman/JV teams in his program, and delegates most day to day practice stuff to his ACs.
OT: My son ran XC at A-West at the same time your BIL was there. Since he isn’t married, I’m pretty sure my son is not your BIL.

Back