What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Jesus. Why does the current coaching staff treat all this coaching hiring/firing stuff with CIA level hyper confidentiality? It's a college football program. No one's getting water boarded or shipped off to GITMO.

Jesus. Why does the current coaching staff treat all this coaching hiring/firing stuff with CIA level hyper confidentiality? It's a college football program. No one's getting water boarded or shipped off to GITMO.
Maybe if we started water boarding we'd get better results....

1. MM doesn't release firings or terminations. Period.
2. Nobody announces hirings until the contracts are signed.

If the coach in question is retiring, I think they would have announced it. Evidently, he's looking for a landing spot (ala Baer, LaRussa, et. al)

This thread started with the title of RichRod, so just winding back around, IMO RichRod and others like him are the Poster Children for "running your career into the ground through OCD job changes". If this idiot had never left West Virginia, he likely could have insulated himself with good assistants and functional recruiting enough to have kept the program rolling. Instead he went to Michigan, got exposed/over his head and has been swimming upstream unsuccessfully since then. Not the only guy to do this BTW. The smart guys like Shaw, Ferentz, Fitzgerald, Peterson, that are 1.a talents but probably not quite on par with Saban and Urban are wise enough to stay where they're at and create a local legacy. We will see over the next 3 year which group Chip Kelly is in. If I was forced to bet, I'd bet that he will be a higher paid (and fatter) version of RichRod. And mainly because I think that the SoCal recruits that he will/has to coach will be the typical UCLA players that are hard to motivate. I'm optimistic about our near term future in the P12 South given all the recent crazy **** that's happened. Much more concerned with USC and Utah over UCLA and the Arizona train wrecks. I think that things are truly looking up for CU football .

Yeah not bad for them at all. Have to worry about his understanding of the front 7 being a DB coach and his inexperience as a play caller but seems like he will help in recruiting. Per usual though with Bobo hires, they won't likely stay for very long.

Last edited:
Yeah not bad for them at all. Have to worry about his understanding of the front 7 being a DB coach and his inexperience as a play caller but seems like he will help in recruiting. Per usual though with Bobo hires, they won't likely stay for very long.
Such is life as a G5 program in today's college football world.

This thread started with the title of RichRod, so just winding back around, IMO RichRod and others like him are the Poster Children for "running your career into the ground through OCD job changes". If this idiot had never left West Virginia, he likely could have insulated himself with good assistants and functional recruiting enough to have kept the program rolling. Instead he went to Michigan, got exposed/over his head and has been swimming upstream unsuccessfully since then. Not the only guy to do this BTW. The smart guys like Shaw, Ferentz, Fitzgerald, Peterson, that are 1.a talents but probably not quite on par with Saban and Urban are wise enough to stay where they're at and create a local legacy. We will see over the next 3 year which group Chip Kelly is in. If I was forced to bet, I'd bet that he will be a higher paid (and fatter) version of RichRod. And mainly because I think that the SoCal recruits that he will/has to coach will be the typical UCLA players that are hard to motivate. I'm optimistic about our near term future in the P12 South given all the recent crazy **** that's happened. Much more concerned with USC and Utah over UCLA and the Arizona train wrecks. I think that things are truly looking up for CU football .

What got Richrod in trouble was that people caught up to the zone-read. Was he ever a great head coach? I'd argue that there is no proof. His zone-read implementation was absolutely a break-thru and he had some guys at WVU who ran it to perfection. He cashed that into a huge payday at Michigan, but the world of football caught up to it and he was exposed as a garbage human being who couldn't lead men. That's been his legacy. He did have a short pop with his superhuman QB this year, but then defenses made adjustments as the year went on and the film got put down.

As for Kelly, we will see. I think there's a lot of similarities between him and RichRod. Kelly had a great DC at Oregon. If he's able to score a lot of points (I think he will, just not at the same levels as Oregon once did), it will come down to the D. I question Kelly's ability to lead as well. When the offense is no longer so far better than anything else, is he fundamentally a good leader, CEO and football coach? Jury's out IMO. But it's not a bad gamble by any means by UCLA.

As for your theory about "smart guys" I think it's hogwash, but interesting. Lots of guys have changed jobs to move up in stature as RichRod did by going to Michigan. I think you cherry-picked your examples.

I can't say their strategy of attempting to catch lightning in a bottle with SEC hires is a bad one, but as has been mentioned if they're any good they won't be around for long.

May be a solid strategy if they can turn it into some recruits who were Bama backup plans or PWO targets.

What got Richrod in trouble was that people caught up to the zone-read. Was he ever a great head coach? I'd argue that there is no proof. His zone-read implementation was absolutely a break-thru and he had some guys at WVU who ran it to perfection. He cashed that into a huge payday at Michigan, but the world of football caught up to it and he was exposed as a garbage human being who couldn't lead men. That's been his legacy. He did have a short pop with his superhuman QB this year, but then defenses made adjustments as the year went on and the film got put down.

As for Kelly, we will see. I think there's a lot of similarities between him and RichRod. Kelly had a great DC at Oregon. If he's able to score a lot of points (I think he will, just not at the same levels as Oregon once did), it will come down to the D. I question Kelly's ability to lead as well. When the offense is no longer so far better than anything else, is he fundamentally a good leader, CEO and football coach? Jury's out IMO. But it's not a bad gamble by any means by UCLA.

As for your theory about "smart guys" I think it's hogwash, but interesting. Lots of guys have changed jobs to move up in stature as RichRod did by going to Michigan. I think you cherry-picked your examples.

Did CU catch up to the zone read? Or just other? Somebody please tackle 14.

I don't know how I missed it, other than I pay little or no attention to the NFL, but Gruden did get back into coaching. Weird.

Yeah, a 100 million weirds.
I dunno, he was making plenty of dough sitting in a booth pontificating. Sure, I imagine the Raiders are paying him more but if it were me, I would not want the headache if my alternative was to make whatever obscene amount of money ESPiN was willing to pay. JMO.

I dunno, he was making plenty of dough sitting in a booth pontificating. Sure, I imagine the Raiders are paying him more but if it were me, I would not want the headache if my alternative was to make whatever obscene amount of money ESPiN was willing to pay. JMO.
It’s the Raiders. He signed a ten year contract. They haven’t kept a coach for ten years since John Madden. Gruden can coach for five or six years, then go back into the booth and keep getting paid. Good for him.

Back