What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

What got Richrod in trouble was that people caught up to the zone-read. Was he ever a great head coach? I'd argue that there is no proof. His zone-read implementation was absolutely a break-thru and he had some guys at WVU who ran it to perfection. He cashed that into a huge payday at Michigan, but the world of football caught up to it and he was exposed as a garbage human being who couldn't lead men. That's been his legacy. He did have a short pop with his superhuman QB this year, but then defenses made adjustments as the year went on and the film got put down.

As for Kelly, we will see. I think there's a lot of similarities between him and RichRod. Kelly had a great DC at Oregon. If he's able to score a lot of points (I think he will, just not at the same levels as Oregon once did), it will come down to the D. I question Kelly's ability to lead as well. When the offense is no longer so far better than anything else, is he fundamentally a good leader, CEO and football coach? Jury's out IMO. But it's not a bad gamble by any means by UCLA.

As for your theory about "smart guys" I think it's hogwash, but interesting. Lots of guys have changed jobs to move up in stature as RichRod did by going to Michigan. I think you cherry-picked your examples.
I think what a lot of people missed with Kelly is how he's hacked / approached / worked around the college practice time limits.

His practice system gives every player far more reps in practice than the standard. The key is that the coaches don't correct mistakes in practice, but simply focus on getting players reps (every one of which is filmed).

Mistakes on the practice field are broken down and corrected in the film room (and on the study notes the players get on their playbook tablets).

There is very little standing around watching a coach demonstrate how to do x, or watching your teammates do y, and they never stop the entire offense to correct a problem one player made, then make everybody do it again. Everybody just immediately goes to the next play without any correction of the mistake, that will happen later.

If you think about the serious practice time limits it's a pretty smart approach.

I do not think Kelly is at all like Rich Rod. I think Kelly will be successful at UCLA - he will have access to talent and will the coach the heck of them.

What got Richrod in trouble was that people caught up to the zone-read. Was he ever a great head coach? I'd argue that there is no proof. His zone-read implementation was absolutely a break-thru and he had some guys at WVU who ran it to perfection. He cashed that into a huge payday at Michigan, but the world of football caught up to it and he was exposed as a garbage human being who couldn't lead men. That's been his legacy. He did have a short pop with his superhuman QB this year, but then defenses made adjustments as the year went on and the film got put down.

As for Kelly, we will see. I think there's a lot of similarities between him and RichRod. Kelly had a great DC at Oregon. If he's able to score a lot of points (I think he will, just not at the same levels as Oregon once did), it will come down to the D. I question Kelly's ability to lead as well. When the offense is no longer so far better than anything else, is he fundamentally a good leader, CEO and football coach? Jury's out IMO. But it's not a bad gamble by any means by UCLA.

As for your theory about "smart guys" I think it's hogwash, but interesting. Lots of guys have changed jobs to move up in stature as RichRod did by going to Michigan. I think you cherry-picked your examples.

Thanks for this good post. I guess we'll see how much of Chip's success in Eugene was due to Uncle Phil's open checkbook and how much was due to coaching acumen. I think the jury is out on Chip and the ball is in his court.

Why are we complementing CSUs strategy? McElwain was good, but Bobo ****ing sucks

Why are we complementing CSUs strategy? McElwain was good, but Bobo ****ing sucks
That ignores what actually each inherited. McElwain inherited a team that had been built pretty well and was a few studs away from being really good . He found a RB and WR to go with it and rode it. But he didn't replenish worth a **** and the defense was woefully lacking in bodies when he left. Didn't really leave a QB in waiting either.

Bobo is building a solid foundation that is capable of being a pest for a long time.

If Bobo makes it another two years, I think the story will be played out and they will be the #1 team in the MWC and a g5 leader.

Mike Bobo is a poor man’s Mike MacIntyre. Solid coach, not special, and not a guy that is ever going to vault a program to being a conference elite. And yes, he gets the “poor man” label compared to Mac, because Mac has at least won a division championship and 10 games, and has never been out coached by Bobo.

McElwain inherited a terrible team and turned them around to win 10 games in a year they played 2 P5 teams out of conference. Yes he inherited a few NFL players that he developed into studs but that is something that he should be proud of not used against him. Bobo inherited a team loaded on offense with a ton of returning starters and hasn't done anything with them other than win 7 games a year in a conference they should be favored in every year. He is a very overrated recruiter that loses a ton of top commits near signing day and a couple more each summer when some can't get into school. He hasn't done anything at CSU that is really sustainable and uses most of his resources on getting kids from the South and is still the highest paid coach in the conference, which makes little to no sense at all.

At some point the admin up there has to see that his strategy is pretty terrible and needs to change. He had a great opportunity to hire a DC with connection in the MWC that could take them to the next level recruiting Cali or Texas but he doubled down and I'm sure the assistant coaches will be similar hires.

Mike Bobo is a poor man’s Mike MacIntyre. Solid coach, not special, and not a guy that is ever going to vault a program to being a conference elite. And yes, he gets the “poor man” label compared to Mac, because Mac has at least won a division championship and 10 games, and has never been out coached by Bobo.
And ya know. He won EVERY national coach of the year award last season while Bobo hasn’t been recognized for ****.

When evaluating coaches, I try not to look at their W-L record during a short stint as the ONLY measure of quality of coach. The prior coach to McElwain had fully stocked the team and developed good talent at all positions. Many insiders felt they were ready to break out. McElwain added some Juco/transfer talent to finish it off. But he then left them with absolutely nobody on defense, and Bobo had a much bigger job than outsiders would have thought. This is a case of timing, where the wrong guy gets all the credit.

Check back in a few years to see how this has worked out for Bobo. It's a very solid platform he's building for G5 success.

Please! Let’s not hijack another thread with the same BS about the lil bruh aggie that could. There’s a thread wherein all of these points can be read On-Demand.

Spoiler alert: lil bruh aggie is going to keep sucking.

I wish I could like this post more than once

When evaluating coaches, I try not to look at their W-L record during a short stint as the ONLY measure of quality of coach. The prior coach to McElwain had fully stocked the team and developed good talent at all positions. Many insiders felt they were ready to break out. McElwain added some Juco/transfer talent to finish it off. But he then left them with absolutely nobody on defense, and Bobo had a much bigger job than outsiders would have thought. This is a case of timing, where the wrong guy gets all the credit.

Check back in a few years to see how this has worked out for Bobo. It's a very solid platform he's building for G5 success.

Oh come on - last years team was supposed to be the truth. Has Bob beat ANY of CSU's rivals? He has some wins because the MWC has been downright awful for a couple of years now.

I think it is very reasonable to hope that we let an already recently debated item stay in the thread where it is housed. As a moderator, I am sure you’re aware of how to ignore my postings if you don’t like how I often refer to colorado state. Seems like you’re trying awfully hard too.

Probably should not be calling anyone out if you insist on using "lil bruh aggie" over and over again. Trying a little too hard.

I think it is very reasonable to hope that we let an already recently debated item stay in the thread where it is housed. As a moderator, I am sure you’re aware of how to ignore my postings if you don’t like how I often refer to colorado state. Seems like you’re trying awfully hard too.

I do not care how often you refer to CSU. But you seem to care a lot more than you let on by using that term. Maybe you and Mtn Buff can form a support group.

That ignores what actually each inherited. McElwain inherited a team that had been built pretty well and was a few studs away from being really good . He found a RB and WR to go with it and rode it. But he didn't replenish worth a **** and the defense was woefully lacking in bodies when he left. Didn't really leave a QB in waiting either.

Bobo is building a solid foundation that is capable of being a pest for a long time.

If Bobo makes it another two years, I think the story will be played out and they will be the #1 team in the MWC and a g5 leader.

Capable of being a pest? These games with them are getting less competitive........not more so. Had we executed on offense in this years game, we would have beaten them by four touchdowns

Capable of being a pest? These games with them are getting less competitive........not more so. Had we executed on offense in this years game, we would have beaten them by four touchdowns
You were watching a different game than me. We shouldn't have won that game.

As much as I despise csu, if it wasn't for some questionable calls, that could have been a loss.

You were watching a different game than me. We shouldn't have won that game.
It can be argued that they should have scored 17 points and possibly tied the game at some point, had a few OPI calls not been called, but that doesn't account for a bigger sense of urgency from CU had that been the case. Don't be "CSU fan" trying to rationalize the loss solely based on a few poor calls.

It can be argued that they should have scored 17 points and possibly tied the game at some point, had a few OPI calls not been called, but that doesn't account for a bigger sense of urgency from CU had that been the case. Don't be "CSU fan" trying to rationalize the loss solely based on a few poor calls.

True, but if CU's urgency is what we saw during the year....

I think Bobo is a decent coach, but he does not have the "it" factor IMO. The Ansley hire is decent, but not sure it is any sort of game changer in the MWC. They are losing a big in-state recruiting influence with English retiring, which opens the door further for Wyoming. Plus they are not really beating out Boise or SDSU for Cali recruits either. Seems like a recipe for a lot of 7-9 win seasons. Pretty good, but not special.

Back