What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Would you agree that a coach who can't go 6-6 with an OOC that featured two gimmes and a G5 he's owned during his time here the year after winning the division belongs on the hot seat going into next year?
Even if the team tanks, MikMac will be here next year. I am sure RG gets it, but like it or not, he is the AD at CU, and CU does not roll that way. I think he definitely gets another year, and then if CU tanks again, he could be gone depending on how bad next year is.

Part of me thinks we are now just playing out the string. This year, barring a miracle, is toast. Given the dreadful play of the OL and DL, I don't hold out a lot of hope for next year. But, if MikMac is "encouraged" to get some AC's who can recruit, bring in a couple of JUCO OL and DL who are P12 ready (and admittedly, that is a TALL order), then maybe the ship can be righted quickly. There are quality skill position guys on the roster.

The prior paragraph has a lot of what if's, so I think it is more likely CU is playing out the string.

What is your minimum expectation for conference wins next year before RG acts?
Ill know it when I see it. I knew Hawkins needed to go after the CSU fiasco. I knew Embree needed to go after Fresno. MM still has this team and I believe he can get it turned back around. I sincerely hope he ****-cans DJ Eliot. Eliot has been a nightmare. Horrible hire. Completely over his head.

This CU team replaced a senior laden team that featured a 4 year starter QB. This team is breaking in a new QB and a new DC. Young teams make mistakes. They blow coverage. The commit stupid penalties. They botch plays. It is what it is. Experience and leadership can not be emphasized enough. Right now we seem to have a vacuum of both. When I say leadership, talk is one thing, backing it up is another. Someone needs to elevate their game. Montez, for example, needs to have a will the team to victory game.

And anyway, that too shall pass. I think there is time going forward to see this team mature get more experience as time goes on.

I think Mac is safe. I think if he brings in another good class everything will be fine down the road. The only risk I see that makes his chair hot is losing big in all the rest of the games.

I'd be far more forgiving of the problems we are having his year if we weren't told how great everything was all through Spring and Fall practices. If expectations need to be tempered, temper them. Don't blow smoke up my skirt and hope things turn out OK.

This CU team replaced a senior laden team that featured a 4 year starter QB. This team is breaking in a new QB and a new DC. Young teams make mistakes. They blow coverage. The commit stupid penalties. They botch plays. It is what it is. Experience and leadership can not be emphasized enough. Right now we seem to have a vacuum of both. When I say leadership, talk is one thing, backing it up is another. Someone needs to elevate their game. Montez, for example, needs to have a will the team to victory game.

And anyway, that too shall pass. I think there is time going forward to see this team mature get more experience as time goes on.

I think Mac is safe. I think if he brings in another good class everything will be fine down the road. The only risk I see that makes his chair hot is losing big in all the rest of the games.
MM recruiting classes have not been “good”. Numerous were horrible. One was mediocre. This one is currently ranked 41/7. That won’t cut it.

I'd be far more forgiving of the problems we are having his year if we weren't told how great everything was all through Spring and Fall practices. If expectations need to be tempered, temper them. Don't blow smoke up my skirt and hope things turn out OK.
I don't think anybody (probably even the coaches) really saw Montez playing at a bottom third of the Pac 12 QB level, or the OL having the issues they have had. Mac repeatedly said last year was all about the defense and that side of the ball would take a hit this year, so I don't think they were blowing smoke about that, but EVERYBODY thought this offense would carry the team.

Hard questions need to be asked as to why the offense is putrid this year. From Chev/Lindgren on down. It's not just talent on the OL, although that's a big part of the problem. Reminds me of the HaLk era where everyone is thinking instead of attacking. We make everything so hard. The only unit that isn't under achieving in a big way is the TE unit, and that's more because we expected nothing from them than because they are doing great things.

Hard questions need to be asked as to why the offense is putrid this year. From Lindgren on down. It's not just talent on the OL, although that's a big part of the problem. Reminds me of the HaLk era where everyone is thinking instead of attacking. We make everything so hard.

With the exception of Kelly being gone, this is last season's OL which did a pretty good job. When you return 4/5 starters on an OL you expect improvement not massive regression. Something is going on.

The OL should not have regressed. They should have gotten better. No idea what is going on there.

I don't think anybody (probably even the coaches) really saw Montez playing at a bottom third of the Pac 12 QB level, or the OL having the issues they have had. Mac repeatedly said last year was all about the defense and that side of the ball would take a hit this year, so I don't think they were blowing smoke about that, but EVERYBODY thought this offense would carry the team.

MacIntyre certainly did not say the defense would take a massive step back though.

With the exception of Kelly being gone, this is last season's OL which did a pretty good job. When you return 4/5 starters on an OL you expect improvement not massive regression. Something is going on.
Agreed. And when you also include a returning stud at RB like Lindsay, that pretty much only leaves the QB position as the difference. I love the upgrade in physical tools that Montez brings, but I think he has a ways to go in doing the little things that Sefo did well as an experienced QB (checking into better plays, recognizing blitzes and hitting hot receivers, shifting protection, etc).

Agreed. And when you also include a returning stud at RB like Lindsay, that pretty much only leaves the QB position as the difference. I love the upgrade in physical tools that Montez brings, but I think he has a ways to go in doing the little things that Sefo did well as an experienced QB (checking into better plays, recognizing blitzes and hitting hot receivers, shifting protection, etc).
Not to mention the huge accuracy problem he has on deep balls.

MacIntyre certainly did not say the defense would take a massive step back though.
I believe he said they would be "good" by the end of the season. THey were ok against WSU, but they better figure some things out before USC gets here or we will give up 500 yards of rushing to a team with 2 OL.

Yeah, not a massive step back, but he did say it would take a while to gel and become a cohesive unit. I just feel like you could have read between the lines on that one. The expectations for the offense is what was obviously blown out of proportion. Even from a national perspective, people thought Montez was the 2nd coming, and there was no reason to believe an OL that lost one starter, from a fairly decent unit in 2016, would be this bad.

I'm disappointed in Montez, for sure. This being his third year in the program, and with significant playing time under his belt last year, I certainly did not expect to see what I'm seeing. He has no confidence in himself, the plays being run, or the players around him. He makes idiotic plays in the most crucial situations. It's like he has zero situational awareness and even if he did, he is unable to actually make a play when needed.

The OL should not have regressed. They should have gotten better. No idea what is going on there.
Right? I am not sure if it is bad coaching with technique or bad play design? Hard to think all 4/5 players regressed that much.

Yeah, not a massive step back, but he did say it would take a while to gel and become a cohesive unit. I just feel like you could have read between the lines on that one. The expectations for the offense is what was obviously blown out of proportion. Even from a national perspective, people thought Montez was the 2nd coming, and there was no reason to believe an OL that lost one starter, from a fairly decent unit in 2016, would be this bad.

Well, there was a dumb narrative from MacIntyre and the AD that we were not really replacing eight starters on defense.

The offensive issues are baffling. Maybe my biggest issue is why our underclassmen QBs are incapable of being good.

I'm disappointed in Montez, for sure. This being his third year in the program, and with significant playing time under his belt last year, I certainly did not expect to see what I'm seeing. He has no confidence in himself, the plays being run, or the players around him. He makes idiotic plays in the most crucial situations. It's like he has zero situational awareness and even if he did, he is unable to actually make a play when needed.

Paralysis by analysis.

Well, there was a dumb narrative from MacIntyre and the AD that we were not really replacing eight starters on defense.

The offensive issues are baffling. Maybe my biggest issue is why our underclassmen QBs are incapable of being good.
Well, it all depends on how you want to classify starters. Lost 3 DB starters to the NFL, but Laguda and Moeller were definitely "starters" last year, with Fisher getting a decent amount of PT as well. I also think Drew Lewis >>>> Olugbode, so I don't think that one really hurts. I think it's pretty clear that losing the 3 guys up front and Jimmy Gilbert was the biggest issue, but then getting McCartney and Falo back (who were both starters at one point or another) was thought to soften the blow, plus Javier being able to at least be serviceable in the middle. Obviously it hasn't turned out in our favor in almost any regard, but it doesn't really matter what the narrative was; we all knew the defense would take a hit, even if we didn't think it'd be this bad.

Even if the team tanks, MikMac will be here next year. I am sure RG gets it, but like it or not, he is the AD at CU, and CU does not roll that way. I think he definitely gets another year, and then if CU tanks again, he could be gone depending on how bad next year is.

Part of me thinks we are now just playing out the string. This year, barring a miracle, is toast. Given the dreadful play of the OL and DL, I don't hold out a lot of hope for next year. But, if MikMac is "encouraged" to get some AC's who can recruit, bring in a couple of JUCO OL and DL who are P12 ready (and admittedly, that is a TALL order), then maybe the ship can be righted quickly. There are quality skill position guys on the roster.

The prior paragraph has a lot of what if's, so I think it is more likely CU is playing out the string.

Never said fire him now or after this year in that post or any other one on this subject. If this team cannot make a bowl, two things-First, staff changes are a must, and I think they need to start with Brian Lindgren. MM has been in this business for years and should understand this. Second, as I said-we played two paycheck games and CSU (and I think MM is 4-1 against them in his time here) OOC. If this team doesn't get to 6 wins, MM should be on the hot seat going into next year.

Well, it all depends on how you want to classify starters. Lost 3 DB starters to the NFL, but Laguda and Moeller were definitely "starters" last year, with Fisher getting a decent amount of PT as well. I also think Drew Lewis >>>> Olugbode, so I don't think that one really hurts. I think it's pretty clear that losing the 3 guys up front and Jimmy Gilbert was the biggest issue, but then getting McCartney and Falo back (who were both starters at one point or another) was thought to soften the blow, plus Javier being able to at least be serviceable in the middle. Obviously it hasn't turned out in our favor in almost any regard, but it doesn't really matter what the narrative was; we all knew the defense would take a hit, even if we didn't think it'd be this bad.
Amazing that we only have 3 sacks in conference. Only 5 teams in the nation have fewer in conf sacks.

The 5 Pac12 teams we've played have given up an astounding 75 sacks so far. A total of 3 of them were to us. That's abysmal.

The narrative matters for the head coach to have credibility.

I bought the narrative that the D wasn't losing as much as we thought it was. And it was supported early on. But things fell apart and now you have to ask why? If they get better, the narrative probably was ok. If they don't.... how in the world was he so wrong about the D and the O? That's a real bad sign.

What are we to do when we go about replacing.. 7 starters on offense with an in flux QB situation next year?

Guess we'll be rebuilding for awhile..

What was he supposed to say when asked about the defense possibly regressing due to losing 8 starters? "Yeah, the defense lost a lot of experience, talent and leadership and it's going to be a long year for that side of the ball." You know that's not how a coach speaks about his team in the preseason. He neither said they would be great, or that they would be awful. I don't have any issue with his credibility because of the preseason narrative.

What are we to do when we go about replacing.. 7 starters on offense with an in flux QB situation next year?

Replacing Lindsay is the biggest issue. Everybody else that starts right now is JAG and should be competing for their jobs from day one of Spring Camp.

It is starting to look like the only time a MikMac team will be above average is when he has a Senior laden team. So relax, it is going to be a while before the cycle repeats.

Back