What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I'd be far more forgiving of the problems we are having his year if we weren't told how great everything was all through Spring and Fall practices. If expectations need to be tempered, temper them. Don't blow smoke up my skirt and hope things turn out OK.

I would too and I also want add that the players were also blowing smoke at themselves. Winning requires a certain humility that these guys don't have. Last year's group didn't have any entitlement issues and played hungry throughout the OOC schedule and that carried into the conference schedule.

No one has won it twice so it's all down hill from here. Seriously though, how has Saban only won that award once?

No one has won it twice so it's all down hill from here. Seriously though, how has Saban only won that award once?
Because COY is an award for the perception of overachieving. It’s why Wilcox or Rich Rod are probably the leading candidates if they make a bowl game. Especially Rich Rod... I bet he wins it if they beat SC and win the South.

Because COY is an award for the perception of overachieving. It’s why Wilcox or Rich Rod are probably the leading candidates if they make a bowl game. Especially Rich Rod... I bet he wins it if they beat SC and win the South.
It's got to be James Franklin or Kirby Smart's to lose at this point, no? Right now I'd give the nod to Smart who is winning with a freshman QB.

At this moment, you’re probably right. What about Brian Kelly?
They have some tough games coming up - if they run the table they will be in the playoff and I guess it would depend who is there with them. I fully expect them to drop a game or two down the stretch which would eliminate Kelly.

I'm curious about who specifically the "Fire Mac" crowd wants to replace him with? Is it just anybody but Mac mentality, or do they have specific, realistic options in mind? Would love to get some serious thoughts on who that crowd believes CU can afford (after paying the rest of Mac's contract) and who would want to come here.

I'm curious about who specifically the "Fire Mac" crowd wants to replace him with? Is it just anybody but Mac mentality, or do they have specific, realistic options in mind? Would love to get some serious thoughts on who that crowd believes CU can afford (after paying the rest of Mac's contract) and who would want to come here.
I can understand the frustration that we have been recruiting like **** for years and being tired of getting hopelessly outclassed athletically at times when our scheme doesn't cover for it.

At the same time, to try to pretend last year didn't happen and we should fire him now is just beyond bizarre.

I can understand the frustration that we have been recruiting like **** for years and being tired of getting hopelessly outclassed athletically at times when our scheme doesn't cover for it.

At the same time, to try to pretend last year didn't happen and we should fire him now is just beyond bizarre.
I'm intrigued by the possibility of what this program could become with a staff that emphasizes recruiting, just like everyone else, but it seems like throwing **** against the wall and seeing what sticks to simply say "MacIntyre should be fired". Slider, Big Jim, Drunk Panda, Nor Cal Buff, etc. have all talked tough about it (although Big Jim sucks and has gone silent again), but no one has been realistic about it from a financial perspective, or provided specific names they believe would get this program the right mix of coaching and recruiting to get to the next level.

I can hear the Women's Studies Dept. mobilizing just at the reading of this post... I might even join them.
Hah.

Point being, there aren't a lot of great, can't-miss coaches out there waiting around for a call from RG. Venables, maybe? Obviously a great defensive coach, but does that translate into HC success? Drag Bob Stoops out of retirement? Maybe. Charlie Strong? I think all these potential candidates will have other options and we would be hard pressed to hire them. That would leave us hiring another MM type. Why hire an MM type when you already have MM on the staff?

MM will not be fired, but if/when he is no longer at CU, there will be plenty of good options out there.
Yeah, its pretty pointless to talk about firing him at this point in time, unless something really bad happens behind scenes. However, every time we go down this road, some think there won't be any good options. CU is still a P5 School and has a lot of added advantages they didn't have the last time around. There will be plenty of interest from good to great coaches.

Don’t think @TSchekler is suggesting there would be a lack of interest in the position, I think he is also pointing out that there are financial realities that would make a lot of the options unrealistic if CU tried to make a move this year. As Duff and pate point out though, this is a pretty futile conversation. Much more interested in assistant coaching options and figuring out what changes will be made in the offseason.

I'm sure we'll have some good options when that comes about. Probably what, 2 years?
I think so. I can't see MikMac going anywhere after this season, even if CU goes 4-8. Maybe, and it is a big maybe, he gets another gig, but the end of next season is the earliest I could see any kind of serious discussion about replacing him, and that is still probably a year early.

MM has a long ways to go before hot seat status. I definitely want him to succeed here. I remember when I realized that I no longer supported Hawkins and he needed to go (CSU game 9/6/2009). I think MM is a much better coach than Hawkins and if he can make the tough choices to upgrade his staff then he will do just fine here.

I'm not sure it matters who the "fire Mac" crowd wants. They may be wrong or they may be right, but in the end I trust Rick George to make a very good hire if he lets MM go. He's done wonders for the AD as a whole, and I don't think he's made a bad HC hire yet. Granted, I think the only two are:
  • Women's BB- JR Payne certainly seems to be the real deal- CU went from 7-23 under Lappe in 2015-16 to finishing 17-16 against one of the toughest schedules in the country in 2016-17 with a run to the 3rd round of the WNIT
  • Volleyball- The record has been less than inspiring, but Mahoney has CU up to their highest RPI ranking in a few years, including the only two wins over CSU since 2002.

I'm not sure it matters who the "fire Mac" crowd wants. They may be wrong or they may be right, but in the end I trust Rick George to make a very good hire if he lets MM go. He's done wonders for the AD as a whole, and I don't think he's made a bad HC hire yet. Granted, I think the only two are:
  • Women's BB- JR Payne certainly seems to be the real deal- CU went from 7-23 under Lappe in 2015-16 to finishing 17-16 against one of the toughest schedules in the country in 2016-17 with a run to the 3rd round of the WNIT
  • Volleyball- The record has been less than inspiring, but Mahoney has CU up to their highest RPI ranking in a few years, including the only two wins over CSU since 2002.
That's fine, but more just curious who "the other side" thinks is the solution, since they like to constantly say "I told you so".

Don’t think @TSchekler is suggesting there would be a lack of interest in the position, I think he is also pointing out that there are financial realities that would make a lot of the options unrealistic if CU tried to make a move this year. As Duff and pate point out though, this is a pretty futile conversation. Much more interested in assistant coaching options and figuring out what changes will be made in the offseason.

Even beyond the financial realities, M2 won 10 games and was COY last season. Good coaches want the opportunity to win championships and they understand that takes time and support.

Replacing a coach who took a program from worst in the nation to last years season and who has appeared to do everything else "right" would have to raise some huge warning flags to prospective candidates.

Back