What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Replacing Lindsay is the biggest issue. Everybody else that starts right now is JAG and should be competing for their jobs from day one of Spring Camp.

heh, they're always replaceable on paper until we actually have to replace them.

The WRs behind them look promising enough, but do we really know? Winfree was a savior before last year and this year but can't beat out JayMac to get on the field. Ento is Jerry Rice incarnate apparently, but again, couldn't beat out the JAGS. Irwin has been our left tackle for the last 9 years, he might be somewhat hard to replace and Kough was our LG for the last 7 1/2 years. And last but certainly not least, we're trading Lindsay for Donovan Lee and Kyle Evans. Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

What was he supposed to say when asked about the defense possibly regressing due to losing 8 starters? "Yeah, the defense lost a lot of experience, talent and leadership and it's going to be a long year for that side of the ball." You know that's not how a coach speaks about his team in the preseason. He neither said they would be great, or that they would be awful. I don't have any issue with his credibility because of the preseason narrative.

It does not have to be one extreme or the other. But flat-out saying the team was not really losing eight starters was horse ****. And it gets to a larger point which is that he possibly misread the talent and depth on that side of the ball. I do not think that is something to be easily brushed aside.

Last edited:
I just popped over and looked at university of central florida's roster/recruiting rankings/recruiting stars last 4 years and player size and weight... amazing what they have been able to do. I am and never have been a scott frost fan. I always thought he was riding the tails of kelly. No wonder his name is a hot commodity these days. He guided some of the best oregon offenses from a production stand point and look at what ucf is doing now. Amazing.

heh, they're always replaceable on paper until we actually have to replace them.

The WRs behind them look promising enough, but do we really know? Winfree was a savior before last year and this year but can't beat out JayMac to get on the field. Ento is Jerry Rice incarnate apparently, but again, couldn't beat out the JAGS. Irwin has been our left tackle for the last 9 years, he might be somewhat hard to replace and Kough was our LG for the last 7 1/2 years. And last but certainly not least, we're trading Lindsay for Donovan Lee and Kyle Evans. Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
:LOL:

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a good problem to have, just more pointing out that we aren't replacing a bunch of NFL guys like we had to with the defense this year. We're replacing a bunch of marginally talented players with seemingly little to no heart and a lot of entitlement.

I bought the narrative that the D wasn't losing as much as we thought it was. And it was supported early on. But things fell apart and now you have to ask why? If they get better, the narrative probably was ok. If they don't.... how in the world was he so wrong about the D and the O? That's a real bad sign.

Exactly.

I think the talk of firing MacIntyre is absurd, but I hope some tough questions are asked going forward. Some of the depth issues on this team are self-inflicted, which indicates to me there are some big blind spots to be addressed.

Exactly.

I think the talk of firing MacIntyre is absurd, but I hope some tough questions are asked going forward. Some of the depth issues on this team are self-inflicted, which indicates to me there are some big blind spots to be addressed.
Had Falo, Julmisse and Umu been on the team and starting/contributing (which they all surely would have been), and DMac was playing at his pre-injury level, what kind of difference do you think it might have made? I know, I know, "ifs and buts"... Humor me. Would it have made enough of a positive difference on defense to win the two close games with Arizona and UCLA? Would the Oregon State game been as close as it was? It obviously doesn't matter and it should only strengthen the argument of poor recruiting and depth, but I don't think it's a stretch to say if all preseason hands were on deck, things might look different today.

I think it is pretty clear that losing Falo was a big hit to the outside linebacker unit, but the other two were more about depth (even though I projected both to start before the season). Those losses hurt but don't explain some of the performances this year.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a good problem to have, just more pointing out that we aren't replacing a bunch of NFL guys like we had to with the defense this year. We're replacing a bunch of marginally talented players with seemingly little to no heart and a lot of entitlement.

For sure. I'm just saying, losing a lot of experience doesn't seem easy to replace under Mac. I wouldn't even say we're returning anyone "key" with Montez now being a huge question mark going forward. I guess Lynott?

I still think something behind the scenes has fractured this team. Those guys would have made a difference, they are also possibly part of the problem?

I think it is pretty clear that losing Falo was a big hit to the outside linebacker unit, but the other two were more about depth (even though I projected both to start before the season). Those losses hurt but don't explain some of the performances this year.
When Uddofia went down it made a big difference. I would rather have Julmisse lining up out there than Wigley.

When Uddofia went down it made a big difference. I would rather have Julmisse lining up out there than Wigley.
Yes you would rather have Julmisse out there but it wasn't like Wigley was awful, he has actually played pretty well and continues to get better IMO. What I am trying to say is that the dropoff from Julmisse-Wigley and Umu-Franke/Tuiloma isn't as big as the dropoff from Falo to Hasselback (which really hurts).

When the coaches thought our offense was going to be great this year, and the defense was holding its own in practice and scrimmages, I’m sure the thought was “Hey, this defense may be much better than we thought!” When it really should have been “I know this defense is going to be lucky to be average, we have serious problems on offense to go with it we now need to solve.”

Echo chamber and all that.

This is where eliminating FCS teams from the official schedule, but being able to scrimmage one in the spring and one half way through fall camp for a medium size pay day would be huge as an external litmus test rather than just playing against yourself all the time.

Right? I am not sure if it is bad coaching with technique or bad play design? Hard to think all 4/5 players regressed that much.
It's not just the 4/5 players, though. It's the backups who all got an extra year of experience. By now, using the recruit and develop plan that MM has been using (whether by design or necessity), the OL should be the cornerstone of this football team. They've been horrible.

Ill know it when I see it. I knew Hawkins needed to go after the CSU fiasco. I knew Embree needed to go after Fresno. MM still has this team and I believe he can get it turned back around. I sincerely hope he ****-cans DJ Eliot. Eliot has been a nightmare. Horrible hire. Completely over his head.

I disagree that MM has the team. In fact, my read on the players is that he has lost his voice with this team. And the fact that he hired Eliot is another issue. If MM remains on campus next season and the team does poorly, recruiting will be down again in 2019 and 2020 (from already mediocre recruiting in a brand new facility). I don't think RG has the luxury of waiting around on a coach who only has 2 winning season's as a head coach and having to build again from the bottom up. Maybe CU gets lucky and MM bolts for Ole Miss or another job after this season, if not RG will make the tough call and bring in a coach who can recruit and bring W's back to campus with consistency.

RG isn't going to fire MM unless something crazy happens. Just going 4-8 won't be enough for MM to lose his job. MM has earned a lot of rope.

Had Falo, Julmisse and Umu been on the team and starting/contributing (which they all surely would have been), and DMac was playing at his pre-injury level, what kind of difference do you think it might have made? I know, I know, "ifs and buts"... Humor me. Would it have made enough of a positive difference on defense to win the two close games with Arizona and UCLA? Would the Oregon State game been as close as it was? It obviously doesn't matter and it should only strengthen the argument of poor recruiting and depth, but I don't think it's a stretch to say if all preseason hands were on deck, things might look different today.

We miss Falo and Julmisse, but I tend to view Umu as part of the larger high school DL recruiting problem, not as any sort of solution.

As far as people talking about MacIntyre being fired... can any of you tell me where the money is going to come from for that buyout and to hire a new coach in the same pay range?

Exactly.

RG isn't going to fire MM unless something crazy happens. Just going 4-8 won't be enough for MM to lose his job. MM has earned a lot of rope.

Agree with both of you but as Duff states, the questions should be getting pretty pointed and tough. He has a lot to answer for on this one. The O should just not be this bad with all we had coming back. The Oline is hot garbage and the regression by Montez is hard to believe. The D I expected to drop off but I thought we would be able to score enough to win at least 6 to 7 (I predicted 8). Seat gets warm if with a o-fer finish. Not bowling is a huge issue.

I do not believe that MacIntyre will be fired until after the 2019 season regardless of what happens. So people better accept he will be here for the foreseeable future. MacIntyre is here for $3 million per year and I don't see CU having the appetite to eat more than $6 million (if that).

Previous Home Depot Coach of the Year winners. I don't really care that he won the coach of the year but I think it shows a point. Are there some flash in the pan guys (Mangino anyone)? Absolutely, but there are a lot more great coaches in there than bad ones. I don't think one bad season is enough to forget about the ridiculous job he did turning around the program.

How was Dr Tom COY two years after he retired?

Not sure about UCLA, but Falo sure couldn't have hurt in the Arizona game when we could NOT contain the QB. Falo has a lot more athleticism than the guys who replaced him.

I'd be far more forgiving of the problems we are having his year if we weren't told how great everything was all through Spring and Fall practices. If expectations need to be tempered, temper them. Don't blow smoke up my skirt and hope things turn out OK.
Don't listen to coaches about expectations, they'll tell you what everybody wants to hear. What are they supposed to say really? We are terrible.

I do not believe that MacIntyre will be fired until after the 2019 season regardless of what happens. So people better accept he will be here for the foreseeable future. MacIntyre is here for $3 million per year and I don't see CU having the appetite to eat more than $6 million (if that).

I agree that we can't afford to make a move right now. MacIntyre is going to be on a fairly warm seat going into next year if he can't get this group into a bowl game this year for two reasons-One, the 2019 OOC has home games with Nebraska and Air Force.......which in themselves will be huge moneymakers.....even before we start talking about USC and Washington (If my thinking on the scheduling rotations is correct Oregon State falls off for two years after next year-Correct me if I'm wrong) playing here during league. That's going to be the sexiest home schedule we've had in YEARS. Two, RG has set some pretty bold goals for this program in the years to come. He's not the kind of guy who would talk about winning the Pac 12, etc. and then keep around a football coach who underachieves.

Back