What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I dunno man, did you see his ST's at UT? They made Neinas and the clinic guy from D II Danny's staff ( I can't remember his name, and for that I am thankful) look like all stars. Piss poor ST's is almost all coaching failure.
With that, when you're playing almost all frosh and sophs in your starting 2-deep 44 it's pretty typical that special teams suffer because they're drinking from a firehose on the offense and defense assignments.

But we shouldn't hire the ST Coach from when he was at UT. :D

I'd be 100% behind Charlie Strong to CU if our job was open. He'd been my favorite candidate since he was at Louisville and nothing since that has altered my feelings on this.

Actually, you can go back to when he was DC at Florida and I would have been excited about hiring him. Dude can coach and runs a high integrity program.
I wanted Charlie Strong at the exact same time. Think he became “available” during the demise of the Hawkins years. We could not afford him if I remember correctly. Don’t think we ever even reached out to him. Just financially we were on a 2-3 year hold. Hence we had the proverbial fire sale years with the Embree/Bieniemy years.

Ok. Makes a little more sense. I still don’t get why they think he is the answer, though. What kind of Rolodex does he have? What kind of staff would he put together?

Ugh. I’m glad it’s them and not us. I’d be very concerned if CU was hiring a guy who had been out of coaching for nine years.
Yeah. It would suck to have a coach with a limited roledex that depends on special circumstances like school ties, and questionable past behaviors to get quality assistants. Poor bastards may end up with somebody like Neinas on staff for 4 years.

I don't know Venables isn't getting more run there-I'd hire that guy tomorrow too if we had an opening.
I won't say I know the reason, but he has been stuck as a DC for a long time and nobody has snatched him up. There has to be a reason.

Question: Why is it such a given that these old coaches have such an input in future HC hirings? Spurrier at Florida and Snyder at KSU... I get that they are "legendary", but I think it's ridiculous.
Well for Snyder it is in his contract that he will be a special assistant to the AD and will have a vote on deciding the next coach.

Well for Snyder it is in his contract that he will be a special assistant to the AD and will have input on deciding the next coach.
FIFY. It might be semantics, but it also might be an important distinction in this case.

I'd be 100% behind Charlie Strong to CU if our job was open. He'd been my favorite candidate since he was at Louisville and nothing since that has altered my feelings on this.

Actually, you can go back to when he was DC at Florida and I would have been excited about hiring him. Dude can coach and runs a high integrity program.
I could get behind him too, but my point was it will probably take 2 good years to get some attractive offers. Some bigger P5 schools may look at 1 year is riding what Taggert started.

What are they basing that on?

Maybe he was referring to this article below.
I think Gruden would be at least as good a recruiter as Butch but he would be great at coaching the kids up and would be immensely better with in-game decisions.

The concerns surround the fact Gruden has not coached at all in nine years and has not roamed a college football sideline in 26 years. Also, Gruden was basically a .500 coach (57-55) in his seven years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers even after winning the Super Bowl in his first season with the Bucs in 2002. Some contend that roster had been largely assembled by former coach Tony Dungy, who had one losing season in his 13 combined years with Tampa Bay and the Indianapolis Colts.

Gruden had seasons in which his teams went .500 or worse in five of his 11 years in the NFL. He last coached in college when he served as Pittsburgh'swide receivers coach in 1991. There is also concern about his recruiting ability, especially in the hyper-charged SEC culture that lives day-to-day on recruiting.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...rns-about-jon-gruden-as-a-coaching-candidate/

Seems contradictory to the “he is focused on making a NY6 bowl and waiting to determine his future until after the season” narrative.

Nebraska booster gonna Nebraska booster

They will have themselves wound up and ready for him to take them to the NC in two years. If it turns out to be false the crash and burn, as usual with them will be glorious.

If it is true, $35 million over 7 it would be hard for him to turn down but I will believe it when I see it.

Back