What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Because he has ties to the school, and his family ties to the school are deep as well.
I’m not arguing with you, but his ties to UT are tenuous at best. He was a graduate assistant for one year - 31 years ago. What are the other family ties?

I’m not arguing with you, but his ties to UT are tenuous at best. He was a graduate assistant for one year - 31 years ago. What are the other family ties?

His wife was a cheerleader there, they met when he was a GA. His son is a current student.

Last edited:
His wife was a cheerleader there, they met when he was a GA there. His son is a current student there.
Ok. Makes a little more sense. I still don’t get why they think he is the answer, though. What kind of Rolodex does he have? What kind of staff would he put together?

Ugh. I’m glad it’s them and not us. I’d be very concerned if CU was hiring a guy who had been out of coaching for nine years.

Mentioned this in the other games thread.

Charlie Strong having a very good season at USF, looking to go 9-1 tonight. Will he be a candidate for a P5 job again this quickly or will he have to wait another year or two?

Mentioned this in the other games thread.

Charlie Strong having a very good season at USF, looking to go 9-1 tonight. Will he be a candidate for a P5 job again this quickly or will he have to wait another year or two?
That depends if he wants to coach at a Kansas type school or a better situation.

The whole Gruden to Tennessee would be absolutely awesome. I would pay money to watch that reality show.

The whole Gruden to Tennessee would be absolutely awesome. I would pay money to watch that reality show.
Well, at least he has some recent experience with the Reality TV thing. He made an appearance on Hard Knocks this season; he showed-up in the QB meeting room, where Sefo was studying at the time. He gave a Ra-Ra speech to the QBs. When he left the room HC Koetter said something to the effect of "you can tell he still has the coaching bug".

He was a very successful, long time coach that reached the pinnacle of his profession. He has also stayed very involved in the sport and clearly knows how to run a team. I think it’s fair to question how he might translate to the college game with the recruiting aspect, dealing with boosters, the academic side of things with players, etc, but I wouldn’t just write him off as having no shot at succeeding.

He was a very successful, long time coach that reached the pinnacle of his profession. He has also stayed very involved in the sport and clearly knows how to run a team. I think it’s fair to question how he might translate to the college game with the recruiting aspect, dealing with boosters, the academic side of things with players, etc, but I wouldn’t just write him off as having no shot at succeeding.

His biggest challenge would be adjusting to the offensive coaching constraints in college football.

I think he could be relatively successful, but would never measure up to Tennessee's outdated expectations.

Gruden would be very successful. He still connects with the kids (as evidenced by his QB show), he's full of energy and has a high football IQ. I think he'd recruit just fine, if not excel at it. I'd be shocked if he couldn't adjust to P5 football. I'd love to see him back in coaching, particularly in the college game. He certainly has a big enough personality to handle the spotlight, that's for sure.

We may even get some spider 2 Y banana.

Gruden would be very successful. He still connects with the kids (as evidenced by his QB show), he's full of energy and has a high football IQ. I think he'd recruit just fine, if not excel at it. I'd be shocked if he couldn't adjust to P5 football. I'd love to see him back in coaching, particularly in the college game. He certainly has a big enough personality to handle the spotlight, that's for sure.

We may even get some spider 2 Y banana.

The guy is a motivator and he has people skills.

Hard to see him not being popular with the boosters. Tennessee has some talent on that roster and is in a position where the right staff could recruit more. As bad as they have been recently as long as he gives them reasonable hope they will give him time. I don't see him allowing the team to be disorganized and fall apart.

What he may have problems with though is the time restraints now in college football. Gruden as a coach was a workaholic and put huge time into the details. With the limitations on contact and practice time he may not be able to implement and teach what he wants to teach.

What he may have problems with though is the time restraints now in college football. Gruden as a coach was a workaholic and put huge time into the details. With the limitations on contact and practice time he may not be able to implement and teach what he wants to teach.

He'll have the same limitations as every other coach will have. There's no question he'll have to adjust, but I find it hard to imagine that he wouldn't be able to do so. He'll attract high-level talent, both athletes and assistant coaches. Maybe I think too highly of him, but I think he'd be very successful.

What are they basing that on?
Basically, bring a head coach in the NFL is night and day compared to college football. You have to teach young, immature people about the game of football who aren’t motivated by money and don’t have anywhere near the experience that NFL players do. Chris Landry has a podcast on it if you want to listen to it but he is very connected in the SEC. He said that Gruden struggled a ton with young players in his career, could never develop young quarterbacks, and relied on vets a lot. His system is way too complex and it is very hard to teach to young guys, this is a lot different than coming into a qb camp and coaching kids up. His last point was about evaluation, which apparently he struggled evaluating young guys in the nfl as well and that would be magnified at the college level trying to project players before they are even grown.

Basically it is what everyone has said, he is a big name that would bring attention around the country and he could probably recruit well but he isn’t a very good fit for running a college program, especially one as big as Tennessee.

Really the entire SEC is so desperate to beat Saban that they are now grasping at straws. Gruden at least to an outsider appears that he might be able to beat him. After that, at least on paper, there are no options.

Really the entire SEC is so desperate to beat Saban that they are now grasping at straws. Gruden at least to an outsider appears that he might be able to beat him. After that, at least on paper, there are no options.
Well Gruden is 1-0 lifetime against Saban. Gruden's Buccaneers beat Saban's Dolphins 27-13 back in 2005.

Tennessee is trying to lure the guy Saban could never beat!

If anything it would make him more likely to move. You're not going to get top notch cancer care in Jonesboro, Arkansas.

I'm not sure where he goes......too big for Memphis as an example, but doesn't make sense at any of the SEC openings we'll have.

I'm not sure where he goes......too big for Memphis as an example, but doesn't make sense at any of the SEC openings we'll have.
If Mullen were to leave Miss St. I could see Anderson there. Other than that, I think a middle of the road P5 team is his next stop. Think Vandy, UNC, TexasTech (I realize none of those may open up just yet). I am not sure he has the kind of cache to get a blue blood job yet. I would not mind seeing him in Boulder if MikMac gets hired away.

Question: Why is it such a given that these old coaches have such an input in future HC hirings? Spurrier at Florida and Snyder at KSU... I get that they are "legendary", but I think it's ridiculous.

With the limitations on contact and practice time he may not be able to implement and teach what he wants to teach.
Serious question for folks who know these things: was Gruden one of the major contributors/consultants to the Madden games?

A lot of high school coaches are short cutting the "learn our school's offense" by wholesale lifting of concepts (and even terminology) from the Madden games, and having their players "learn" the offense by playing the game on their own outside of the structured practice times.

If Gruden was a major contributor to the Madden franchise the past 4-5 years, he might have an unconventional leg-up on teaching his concepts in the "limited" practice / contact time allowed by NCAA rules.

That depends if he wants to coach at a Kansas type school or a better situation.
I'd be 100% behind Charlie Strong to CU if our job was open. He'd been my favorite candidate since he was at Louisville and nothing since that has altered my feelings on this.

Actually, you can go back to when he was DC at Florida and I would have been excited about hiring him. Dude can coach and runs a high integrity program.

I'd be 100% behind Charlie Strong to CU if our job was open. He'd been my favorite candidate since he was at Louisville and nothing since that has altered my feelings on this.

Actually, you can go back to when he was DC at Florida and I would have been excited about hiring him. Dude can coach and runs a high integrity program.

I like Charlie, but I don't think he moves this year, either-He's getting P5 money to coach at USF (his contract is structured to where USF is paying him a million or so for the length of his Texas buyout-3 years?, with the Horns picking up the rest). Same deal with his assistants.....the bulk of whom were with him at Texas, and are all collecting money from UT still.

I dunno man, did you see his ST's at UT? They made Neinas and the clinic guy from D II Danny's staff ( I can't remember his name, and for that I am thankful) look like all stars. Piss poor ST's is almost all coaching failure.

Back