What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you think he is capable to run a FCS program? Two years of high school coaching? Playing in the NFL?
At a place like UNC, sure. If he’s really getting paid $190k a year this is the ultimate low risk/high reward type hire. Hell that may be a pay cut for him coming from Valor.

We’ve spent more time talking about UNC football in the last 12 hours than probably the entire history of AB before this so good for them. Honestly, what is the risk here? What’s the worst case scenario?

At a place like UNC, sure. If he’s really getting paid $190k a year this is the ultimate low risk/high reward type hire. Hell that may be a pay cut for him coming from Valor.

We’ve spent more time talking about UNC football in the last 12 hours than probably the entire history of AB before this so good for them. Honestly, what is the risk here? What’s the worst case scenario?
CSU hired a new coach and everyone is talking about Northern Colorado. Proof of your point.

I believe they lost the dude battle.
giphy.gif

The hire created some short term buzz, for sure. I personally think that’s a terrible justification to hire a football coach.

I think its a great move for UNC given where they are. Earnest Collins was a disaster of a hire they kept several seasons too long because of their budget issues-he was 28-72 up there. He didn't win a game his first year (2011), won one game in 2012, and then won 2 games each his last two years. They can take a risk on a guy like Ed because they're a bad FCS program. This is a no risk, high reward move. If he flops up there, they aren't any worse than they are now.

Look at the media reaction this compared to the reaction to the goober CSU hired-UNC's being praised for doing something bold...........while Rammie's getting mocked for Steve Addazio.

Last edited:
I think its a great move for UNC given where they are. Earnest Collins was a disaster of a hire they kept several seasons too long because of their budget issues-he was 28-72 up there. He didn't win a game his first year (2011), won one game in 2012, and then won 2 games each his last two years. They can take a risk on a guy like Ed because they're a bad FCS program. This is a no risk, high reward move. If he flops up there, they aren't any worse than they are now.

Look at the media reaction this compared to the reaction to the goober CSU hired-UNC's being praised for doing something bold...........while Rammie's getting mocked for Steve Addazio.
Again, the “we suck and it can’t possibly get any worse” narrative makes no sense to me. You don’t hire a football coach with that mentality. Well, maybe they do in Greeley.

Whatever. I really don’t care. I’ve already spent too much mental capital on the subject.

They're a no name FCS program. A high risk hire is not that crazy.
So what would have been wrong with them hiring Wristen from Pueblo? A proven champion and consistent winner with CO recruiting lines already wel-laid out!

Yeah, I know Eddie had to recruit all those Valor kids away from Creek and Regis, but college is difframents!

Last edited:
what makes any coach capable? They have to learn somewhere, although I generally agree with your point. He shouldn’t go from high school to head coach, he should be a coordinator first. Walt Weiss did it lol.
What planet are you from, spouting that kind of nonsense on THIS board!

Dont'cha know from reading all the Mil-GenZ-Xer's geniuses posting here, that great coaches and recruiters arise ONLY from the WOMB?

Totally agree with this. It can't be any more of a train wreck than 2-10 in the Big Sky.

Looks like a win for the AD because it:

created buzz around the hire (more than CSU)
will likely give a little bump in recruiting due to being well known as a former Bronco and can flash Superbowl rings
likely increases tickets sales in Greeley just because people will want to see a former Bronco coaching the local team

and all this before a single game has been played.

Totally agree with this. It can't be any more of a train wreck than 2-10 in the Big Sky.

will likely give a little bump in recruiting due to being well known as a former Bronco and can flash Superbowl rings
likely increases tickets sales in Greeley just because people will want to see a former Bronco coaching the local team

At the least, I'd think that it would help with booster events, season ticket drives and PR type things such as getting air time on local sports media. At least for a year or two. If he doesn't win that stuff won't matter. But if he does win then it will take the program to a place that a no-name winner at UNC couldn't get to.

I thought the goal of college football programs was to win games, not get buzz. UNC will be 2-10 again for the next 3 years. Tell me how that makes things better? To me this reeks of an administration that has totally given up.

In other news no one probably cares about because it doesn't involve Eddy Mac.

Ryan Silverfield gets the interim tag removed at Memphis.

In other news no one probably cares about because it doesn't involve Eddy Mac.

Ryan Silverfield gets the interim tag removed at Memphis.

That was expected. Probably smart for them to hire from in-house this time. The program's rolling and they had a guy they liked, so don't rock the boat.

So what would have been wrong with them hiring Wristen from Pueblo? A proven champion and consistent winner with CO recruiting lines already wel-laid out!

Yeah, I know Eddie had to recruit all those Valor kids away from Creek and Regis, but college is difframents!
John isn't leaving Pueblo for Greeley.

He has a program that already wins big, he knows that community well.

If and when Wristen leaves it will be for a much better job than UNC. Otherwise why go.

This is the issue here. Northern Colorado didn't exactly have a bunch of top candidates lining up for that job.

John isn't leaving Pueblo for Greeley.

He has a program that already wins big, he knows that community well.

If and when Wristen leaves it will be for a much better job than UNC. Otherwise why go.

This is the issue here. Northern Colorado didn't exactly have a bunch of top candidates lining up for that job.
Wristen won't leave Pueblo because he won't get hired anywhere else. There's...baggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back