What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday Carousel Update:

New stuff noted with an UPDATE tag. Lots to cover, updates are now more of a conglomeration so you don't have to scroll through to catch up.

Filled Jobs:

Rutgers-
Chris Ash out (h/t dwyermj), Nunzio Campanile was interim. Schiano back for Round 2 (h/t Jalapeno).

Washington-
On and off the Carousel in what may be world record time, Peterson out, Lake in. (h/t MKBuffs) Shout out to onealcd for his swami-like predictive powers on this one.

Florida State- Willie Taggert out after less than two years. (h/t vinniew_11). Mike Norvell in. (h/t CarolinaBuff) Leavitt gone (h/t Trufflesauce). ODell Haggins retained as DL (h/t DeNiro). UPDATE: Fmr. Auburn OC/QB Ken Dillingham filling same role at FSU. (h/t DeNiro).

Ole Miss- Matt Luke is out (h/t jeric). The Lane train rolls into Oxford, Lane Kiffin in, stiffing Arky. (h/t DeNiro, ahoelsken, Hawg) MikMac stays as DC. (h/t BinaryBuff) Love, S and C from FAU follows. RichRod sent packing (h/t ahoelsken)

Arkansas- Chad Morris is out. Could not win even one SEC game. (h/t Duff). UGA OL coach Sam Pittman in. Underwhelming hire. UPDATE: Fmr. Mizzou HC Barry Odom now DC (h/t Duff). I am hearing Jay Johnson turned down an offer to be OC at Arky.

Mizzou- Barry Odom out. (h/t Duff) Eli Drinkwitz in (h/t DeNiro), a $4MMper year. Ted Roof added to staff (h/t bombay).

UNLV- Sanchez does not survive. (h/t Jens). Ced Cormier is WR coach on UNLV's staff, I hope he lands on his feet. Arroyo Oregon DC in (h/t DeNiro)

USF- Charlie Strong is out. (h/t DeNiro) Clemson co-OC Jeff Scott in. (h/t DeNiro) UPDATE: Strong gets $3MM buyout.

UTSA- Frank Wilson out. (h/t DeNiro) Jeff Traylor, from Arky, in. (h/t DeNiro) Barry Lunney, also from Arky to be OC. UPDATE: Dan DePrato, fmr. Buff GA now ST Coord. (h/t Tschek)

Old Dominion- Bobby Wilder resigns (h/t DeNiro) Ricky Rhane from PSU in. (h/t OUBUFF)

Colorado St.- Bobo out (h/t 85Alum) Steve "dude" Addazio (h/t Jens). UPDATE: Sons, brothers, sisters, wives getting job on HC Dude's staff as Urb's S in L and Dude son get jobs on the csewe staff. (h/t Dio).

FAU- Kiffin out, to Ole Miss, Willie Taggart in (h/t DeNiro) Kiffin attempting to raid Bama staff.

Boston College- Steve Addizzio out. (h/t DeNiro) UPDATE: Ryan Hefley, tOSU DC gets gig (h/t DeNiro).

App. State- Drinkwitz off to Mizzou. UPDATE: Interim Shawn Clark takes over (h/t DeNiro).

Memphis- Norvell off to FSU, Ryan Sutterfield in (h/t DeNiro).

Open Jobs:

University of Almost Mexico- Bob Davie out. (h/t Black Dynamite) Danny Gonzales ASU DC in play (h/t DeNiro), possibly Curtis Luper TCO Co-OC.

Fresno St.- Tedford steps down for health reasons, MikMac, Pat Hill, Mike Martz, Beau Baldwin, Troy Taylor, Sparkles and DII Danny early names (h/t DeNiro)

Secondary Market-

[None]

Possibles:

Clay Helton- Near riot conditions as Bohn announces retention of Helton (h/t Serenity). SC trying to fend off Tejas for Graham Harrell. (h/t DeNiro)

fUCLA- Could Kelly be leaving? Maybe. (h/t Duff) $9MM to buy Kelly out, he owes $9MM if he leaves.

UTEP- I mean who cares, but (h/t DeNiro) points out Dimel has not had success, so UT-Juarez may be coach shopping.

Okie Lite- The yearly, will he or won't he leave drama of Gundy's Mullet begins anew (h/t DeNiro).

NMSU- Marin safe (h/t De Niro).

Other News:

Show me the Money- Cali leads the way to player pay, starting 2023. Hapless NCAA and Conferences clutch pearls.

Sheriron Jones- The well-traveled QB gets caught in a solo routine. CU dodged a bullet. (h/t sewallbeach)

Arizona- Gets defensive about its DC and fires him, and one defensive AC. (h/t Jens). Chuck Cecil now DC (h/t ahoelsken). Fired their DL coach, Sumlin dropping defensive AC's on a near weekly basis. (h/t DeNiro). Sumlin back for year three (h/t Jens)

ASU- Herm guns down his OC and pretty much the whole O staff. UPDATE: Boise OC Zak Hill hired as OC (h/t DeNiro)

Wazzu- Tracy Claeys "resigns". (h/t Tractor) Leach extended (h/t DeNiro)

USC- hires Mike Bohn as AD (h/t ZKobalt), 11 other P12 programs chuckling uncontrollably.

Minnesota- PJ Fleck extended for 7 years, kNU in mourning.

Indiana- Tom Allen negotiating a raise, and presumably, an extension. kNU mourns more.

kNU- Frost extended by two years, then promptly loses, again, to Wiscy. (h/t blackdynamite), I think he had it first. kNU extends no bowl streak with loss to Iowa.

BYU- Kilani 'the Mushroom" Sitaki extended.

Willie Taggart- As noted in the FSU update, not so slick Willie never signed a formal agreement with FSU and the buyout provisions are up in the air. Willie needs to lawyer up and go after his agent and former attorney. This one cost him a bundle.

No. Colorado- Earnest Hollings gets the axe. (h/t ahoelsken) UPDATE: Pass the Mustard, Eddie McCaffrey new head Bear (h/t ahoelsken)

UNLV-UN-R: Game erupts into a full blown brawl.

Northwestern- McCall the OC/QB canned. (h/t DeNiro) Mike Bajakian new OC (h/t DeNiro)

Texas St.- Bob Stitt out (h/t DeNiro)

ISU/Matt Campbell- Extension signed through 2025 (h/t TSchek)

Tejas- Making play for SC OC Harrell, 2.2 MM offered (h/t Duff) UPDATE: Chris Ash new DC (h/t somebody, I forgot)

Oregon St.- Bigger AC pool (h/t DeNiro)

Liberty- Hugh Freeze gets raise (h/t DeNiro)

Mike Bobo- Lands OC gig at So. Carolina for $1.2 MM/yr.

No. Carolina- Mack Brown extended

Notre Dame- OC Chip Long gone (h/t dwyermj)

UGA- Matt Luke now OL.

Auburn- Chad Morris retreads to the plains. (h/t Hawg)

All Encompassing, Long Awaited SJ Tuohy Update- SJ Tuohy, the little kid in the Blind Side movie, actually exists, and was fired from the Arky staff as Dir. of Player Development. Stay tuned for more breaking news on this very important story.

All I want for Xmas is for D2 to get that Fresno gig. We'd kick their ass on 9/12/20

Fresno State should be announcing a new HC early tomorrow.

My money is on Indiana OC DeBoer. Their AD is keeping things very tight lipped.

Last edited:
For New Mexico I think they are going to pull Hill from Weber State as soon as they're eliminates from the FCS playoffs.

I mean who cares it's not like they need to start recruiting any time soon.

I watched Mike Bohn’s interview about retaining Clay Helton on the Pac 12 network about a week or so ago. He began the interview almost shouting with his opening line being something to the effect of “First off, this is about the student athletes...”. The whole interview was cringeworthy because you could tell he was struggling to defend retaining Helton.

I watched Mike Bohn’s interview about retaining Clay Helton on the Pac 12 network about a week or so ago. He began the interview almost shouting with his opening line being something to the effect of “First off, this is about the student athletes...”. The whole interview was cringeworthy because you could tell he was struggling to defend retaining Helton.
Yeah, because it wasn't really his decision... As I've said.

If you want an AD who you can tell to retain a mediocre coach and let him take the shrapnel - hire Mike Bohn.
Step 2 in a Mike Bohn tenure is having an AD who will then fire said coach when directed and then hire who he is told to hire by the search committee while taking full accountability for any resulting fallout on budget, player, fan or PR issues.

In this case, it appears that he has already hired the next HC by out-bidding everyone to keep their OC on a new 3-year deal. So either Harrell is the unofficial coach-in-waiting or Bohn's next HC search will include the stipulation that the new HC will have to be willing to retain Harrell and maybe others from the current staff.

All this equals opportunity for CU to make a move in the South -- particularly with the messes at UCLA and Arizona along with questions on how long past age 65 Herm will want to stay at ASU. At Utah, Whittingham just turned 60. I'm a bit surprised that he didn't decide to ride this senior class out of town to his last job, but it looks like he'll retire a Ute at this point. Not sure he'll ever have another team as good as this year's, but I expect them to be good as long as he is there.

Step 2 in a Mike Bohn tenure is having an AD who will then fire said coach when directed and then hire who he is told to hire by the search committee while taking full accountability for any resulting fallout on budget, player, fan or PR issues.

In this case, it appears that he has already hired the next HC by out-bidding everyone to keep their OC on a new 3-year deal. So either Harrell is the unofficial coach-in-waiting or Bohn's next HC search will include the stipulation that the new HC will have to be willing to retain Harrell and maybe others from the current staff.

All this equals opportunity for CU to make a move in the South -- particularly with the messes at UCLA and Arizona along with questions on how long past age 65 Herm will want to stay at ASU. At Utah, Whittingham just turned 60. I'm a bit surprised that he didn't decide to ride this senior class out of town to his last job, but it looks like he'll retire a Ute at this point. Not sure he'll ever have another team as good as this year's, but I expect them to be good as long as he is there.
SC may be hamstrung with the Harrell deal. You make a great point, with that kind of deal, either he is the de facto HCIW, or an anchor the next guy has to tote around...either way, not a good scenario. The HCIW thing doesn't work very well, and forcing an OC on a prospective HC limits your pool of candidates.

But then again, if anyone in the Pac has the $$$ to absorb a bad contract, it is SC. Pres. Folt seems, however, dead set on putting her mark on the "way things are done now" at SC. I am kind of hoping SC has found their Bitsy.

Last edited:
What took them so long if this is the move? They only have 1 recruit committed. Yikes.
Agreed. But not the worst strategy for a program like UNM to focus on the Feb signing period and the guys from TX, AZ & OK (with a bit of CA & CO) who slipped through the cracks.

What took them so long if this is the move? They only have 1 recruit committed. Yikes.

Hopefully for Gonzales' sake that's a pretty long deal with a buyout big enough to where the school can't dump him early. That thing's a bigger mess than Beaver U was when Jonathan Smith went back there. Marvin Lewis probably replaces him if he can't get one of the 6-8 NFL openings we'll see on 12/30.

Good hire for New Mexico that benefits CU:

He has the recruiting connections in the PAC12 footprint. UNM would do very well to pick up a lot of kids out of Arizona who are right below PAC12 level players.

It is also a good time because UTEP is terrible and a lot of the Texas schools are in transition. He should be able to pick up a bunch of kids who will make them a better program.

Until they actually get an administration that isn't an obstacle to success their ceiling will be lower than it should be but the program has the potential to get at least middle of the road fairly quickly.

Might see things moving again here in a couple weeks...especially since guys like Shaw, Riley, and Rhule may be targets for open NFL gigs.

Might see things moving again here in a couple weeks...especially since guys like Shaw, Riley, and Rhule may be targets for open NFL gigs.

We still have some big time coordinator gigs that are out there that could effect us positively-Texas still needs an OC. Is Jimmy Lake going to continue to call the defense next year at Washington? I would think he probably gives that back to Pete Kwiatkowski, but I haven't seen anything.

All three of the guys you mention could work in Carolina for one @lawdogg

Grades to this point in the carousel-Ole Miss, Washington get A's. Arky gets a C for Sam Pittman, and little brother gets a D for hiring the coach with the lamest shtick in the history of this business.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back