What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

What makes people think they can afford to let him go? They hit their Alumni so hard for money for the stadium, and they have done nothing with it. Has to be tough for their fan base and really tough for an AD or state legislator to pine up more money.
They are stuck in a tough place. I've mentioned this before. The current buyout on Bobo is $5.5 million, if they wait until Jan 1 it drops to $3 million but their entire conference media revenue share is about $3.5 million.

Unless they get a donor or donors to step forward or Bobo decides to be incredibly generous and just gives away buyout money this is a huge hit to their budget.

If they fire him they aren't going to have a lot of money left to pay the new coach, it will have to be done on the cheap. They also are going to have to go very cheap on the assistants pool. This is not going to be a job that a lot of qualified candidates want.

They are stuck in a tough place. I've mentioned this before. The current buyout on Bobo is $5.5 million, if they wait until Jan 1 it drops to $3 million but their entire conference media revenue share is about $3.5 million.

Unless they get a donor or donors to step forward or Bobo decides to be incredibly generous and just gives away buyout money this is a huge hit to their budget.

If they fire him they aren't going to have a lot of money left to pay the new coach, it will have to be done on the cheap. They also are going to have to go very cheap on the assistants pool. This is not going to be a job that a lot of qualified candidates want.
Maybe they have some of the righteous bucks they made when sparkles left?

For myself, I’m *hoping* Lake is merely a great recruiter. In fact, I don’t really see too many people legitimately saying he is a poor choice. I don’t know where that narrative is coming from. I see a few folks hoping it’s a poor choice, which is totally understandable.

For myself, I’m *hoping* Lake is merely a great recruiter. In fact, I don’t really see too many people legitimately saying he is a poor choice. I don’t know where that narrative is coming from. I see a few folks hoping it’s a poor choice, which is totally understandable.

He is not just a great recruiter.

Nick Saban does not target a guy to be his DC just because he can recruit.

Peterson is a great coach. Maybe not a top 5 coach, but I don't think anyone would argue he's not been a top 10 coach the last 2 decades. Lake is obviously talented. He's also unproven. Lumps will be taken, lessons will be learned.

It's safe to say Peterson leaving is a blow to UW. It's also safe to say that Lake could be a great hire for them.

I am admittedly a huge fan of Lake, but some of you are being really presumptuous that he will not be a good coach.

He is not just a recruiter. He is considered one of the rising stars amongst defensive coaches in the country.
That's fine and all. But Petersen was a Top 10, maybe Top 5, coach in the sport. Lake is a downgrade. The only real question is how big of a downgrade.

And Petersen strikes me as the kind of coach who is willing to let his assistants take responsibility, he isn't a micromanager. Other former Petersen assistants have done well stepping up in responsibility, no reason to believe that Lake won't do the same.

And Petersen strikes me as the kind of coach who is willing to let his assistants take responsibility, he isn't a micromanager. Other former Petersen assistants have done well stepping up in responsibility, no reason to believe that Lake won't do the same.
Hmmmmm...

Pat Stryker is worth 3.5B+ and has donated a lot to Sheep athletics in the past. She could likely find three or five million in her couch cushions.
It's just such a terrible look for the school and the town to have that new stadium be half full for home games that she might have a soft spot in her heart if CSU comes begging. CSU's long term problem IMO is a very elastic demand for its football product. Support is a half mile wide and a millimeter thick.....

I keep seeing from some CSU fans that the plan is to wait until after the new year to pull the trigger to save money. If so, that is chicken**** with the early signing period in two weeks.

I am admittedly a huge fan of Lake, but some of you are being really presumptuous that he will not be a good coach.

He is not just a recruiter. He is considered one of the rising stars amongst defensive coaches in the country.

Meh, he could be great, but I would bet money that he does worse than Peterson did (admittedly a high bar, but still a step back.)

I keep seeing from some CSU fans that the plan is to wait until after the new year to pull the trigger to save money. If so, that is chicken**** with the early signing period in two weeks.
How do they expect to have success in the early signing period with that speculation out there? It sucks to be a CSU lamb.

I'll believe they make a change when I see the headline announcing Bobo is out. I'll say this, though-they are not going to be able to go after a big name P5 coordinator like they've done with their last two searches unless they fall into a situation where a guy like Sark (who probably does need to go to the MWC or AAC first if this happens-he's damaged goods similar to the way Kiffin was when he left Tuscaloosa for Florida Atlantic) decides he wants to run his own show again.

Was Tosh Lupoi known as a great defensive coach? I still think Lake is solid and a better coach than Lupoi but recruiting chops do matter a lot even at the blue chip programs.

I'll believe they make a change when I see the headline announcing Bobo is out. I'll say this, though-they are not going to be able to go after a big name P5 coordinator like they've done with their last two searches unless they fall into a situation where a guy like Sark (who probably does need to go to the MWC or AAC first if this happens-he's damaged goods similar to the way Kiffin was when he left Tuscaloosa for Florida Atlantic) decides he wants to run his own show again.
If it is Sark, maybe New Belgium would want in on the act, or maybe Sark would want in on New Belgium.

Obviously UW thinks he is plenty good if they are letting him slide right into the HC position without even kicking the tires on other candidates.

At the risk of turning this into another MM discussion, CSU could wait until after the beginning of the year, hire MM on the cheap (dude is still collecting checks from CU) and upgrade their coaching staff all while getting what fans they do have excited for the upcoming season. The first game of the year would be a guaranteed sellout (probably would have been anyway, but they could charge a premium if they wanted to in that situation), and there would be a buzz around the program they haven’t had for years. Their biggest risk would be losing MM to another program while they wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back