What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

***OFFICIAL 2019 CU FOOTBALL FALL CAMP THREAD***

QB: Montez is somewhat inconsistent and depth looks scary. Should be okay here.

RB: Who is the guy here? Someone needs to separate this season. Might be okay here?

WR: Talented group with several playmakers and plenty of speed. Very good overall.

TE: Average group with more size to be effective in the running game. Should be able to run more TE sets and maybe someone emerges in the passing game. Should be okay here.

OL: I think we go a legitimate seven deep here (not sold on Ray providing depth just yet). A big, solid starting five with the best set of tackles in years. Should be good here.

Yeah RB might have 4 guys that are all the same and none of them great, that'd be not ideal.

There exists an alternate universe where Montez puts it all together and has a massive senior year en route to first round pick, but that seems unlikely. Hopefully he can just be an above average P12 QB, if he is we'll hopefully be bowling short of defensive collapse. I think we're definitely going to put up a lot of points this year.

Yeah RB might have 4 guys that are all the same and none of them great, that'd be not ideal.

There exists an alternate universe where Montez puts it all together and has a massive senior year en route to first round pick, but that seems unlikely. Hopefully he can just be an above average P12 QB, if he is we'll hopefully be bowling short of defensive collapse. I think we're definitely going to put up a lot of points this year.

I think the key on offense will be finding efficiency, especially on the road. The running game needs to travel. Our best team rushing performance on the road last year was 148 against Cal and there were only two team rushing performances over 100 yards in six road games. That is not winning football.

on defense..

DL: starters should be ok, assuming Sami is legit. People seem pretty high on him. A couple of true freshman as backups, depth is obviously rough.
LB: a range of starters from very good to unknown to eh. I liked Allen coming in, hopefully he's legit. I don't trust some of these backups. Hopefully JVD stays healthy.
STAR: I won't lie I have no idea what to make of this position, Taylor is legit good so hopefully it lets him be all over the place making plays. Perry behind him seems obvious he's being groomed to take over, surprising he's not listed at safety. Perhaps one of those things where it doesn't show on the depth chart, but he might be option #1 if a safety goes down.
CB: Blackmon progressing is big, Miller was eh last season, but the potential is obviously there. Trujillo also good potential, but a true freshman. Never know if that means he showed up and ready to play or what we had on hand just wasn't good.
S: idk much about Onu, hopefully will be solid at least. I like Maddox, but what's after them.. yikes. If Lewis and Rakestraw see much time.. doom.

Last edited:
QB: Montez is somewhat inconsistent and depth looks scary. Should be okay here.

RB: Who is the guy here? Someone needs to separate this season. Might be okay here?

WR: Talented group with several playmakers and plenty of speed. Very good overall.

TE: Average group with more size to be effective in the running game. Should be able to run more two TE sets and maybe someone emerges in the passing game. Should be okay here.

OL: I think we go a legitimate seven deep here (not sold on Ray providing depth just yet). A big, solid starting five with the best set of tackles in years. Should be good here.
That's something even back in January I didn't think we would have. Very curious to see how they really perform against true competition, but I'm more optimistic than I have been about the line in probably 6+ years.

Austin Williams at 3rd string guard made me LOL. This team has talent, but we’re thin on depth. 🙏
Why is that LOL? 3rd string is where a decent and determined FR player should be. What's your definition of "thin"?

I don't think he was recruited to be a 5-year roster filler, one hopes develops. Ideally, an OL should have7-8 guys considered the "first grouping, " with half of 'em being versatile enough to play two or more positions decently. Looks like Cap has worked hard on establishing that. Everybody else is "developmental" since OL is so dependent on physical maturity. ( What still has me ROTFL, is when I recall this board howling with dismay/disgust, when DH signed that 240 lb. lacrosse-playing 2* OL from Cali, named Bahktiari; now considered one the best best LTs in the NFL.)

Why is that LOL? 3rd string is where a decent and determined FR player should be. What's your definition of "thin"?

I don't think he was recruited to be a 5-year roster filler, one hopes develops. Ideally, an OL should have7-8 guys considered the "first grouping, " with half of 'em being versatile enough to play two or more positions decently. Looks like Cap has worked hard on establishing that. Everybody else is "developmental" since OL is so dependent on physical maturity. ( What still has me ROTFL, is when I recall this board howling with dismay/disgust, when DH signed that 240 lb. lacrosse-playing 2* OL from Cali, named Bahktiari; now considered one the best best LTs in the NFL.)
It is LOL because he is a DL that played OL in HS....and he was also on the DL depth chart. Although, it appears to have been a typo that has since been fixed (to Austin Johnson)

on defense..

DL: starters should be ok, assuming Sami is legit. People seem pretty high on him. A couple of true freshman as backups, depth is obviously rough.
LB: a range of starters from very good to unknown to eh. I liked Allen coming in, hopefully he's legit. I don't trust some of these backups. Hopefully JVD stays healthy.
STAR: I won't lie I have no idea what to make of this position, Taylor is legit good so hopefully it lets him be all over the place making plays. Perry behind him seems obvious he's being groomed to take over, surprising he's not listed at safety. Perhaps one of those things where it doesn't show on the depth chart, but he might be option #1 if a safety goes down.
CB: Blackmon progressing is big, Miller was eh last season, but the potential is obviously there. Trujillo also good potential, but a true freshman. Never know if that means he showed up and ready to play or what we had on hand just wasn't good.
S: idk much about Onu, hopefully will be solid at least. I like Maddox, but what's after them.. yikes. If Lewis and Rakestraw see much time.. doom.

Agree with pretty much everything. Need someone else to disrupt on the DL besides Mustafa, need Wells to take another step forward, and we really need to stay healthy at CB. Those things happen and the defense should hold up. Not great or even good, but not a complete detriment.

Agree with pretty much everything. Need someone else to disrupt on the DL besides Mustafa, need Wells to take another step forward, and we really need to stay healthy at CB. Those things happen and the defense should hold up. Not great or even good, but not a complete detriment.
get the damn ball back to Viska, repeat.

I think if those things happen you’re looking at a middle of the conference or upper half defense. The top 11-12 is solid, IMO

Back