What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2020 Fall Camp Thread

It's like you are in a free fall and someone throws you a parachute and rather than putting it on you get snooty over its design and say nah I don't like this one. Well enjoy the ground bro.

Dude.
I dont care about DM. I think he is an adequate QB and he is in the transfer portal.

The bigger issue is that CU currently has no QB and needs a transfer. If not DM then go after someone else.

We have a true freshman who should get on the field ASAP to get the experience he needs, especially in a year that doesn’t count toward eligibility. But, we have an incompetent coaching staff, so we’ll just have to suffer.

We have a true freshman who should get on the field ASAP to get the experience he needs, especially in a year that doesn’t count toward eligibility. But, we have an incompetent coaching staff, so we’ll just have to suffer.

You obviously don't know whats going on in the CU QB room then. Not happening.

Its going to be Lytle.

You obviously don't know whats going on in the CU QB room then. Not happening.

Its going to be Lytle.
You obviously have a reading comprehension problem. I did not write what will happen. I wrote what should happen.

Hint: the reasons why for both are also listed in the post.

Can we at least give this coaching staff one game before throwing the incompetent take?
Nope. I’ve seen what I need from the recruiting effort. We currently have one coach who has consistently got in the top 2-3 of priority recruits for his position group. We’ve had some good surprises from young Embo. Aside from that, our recruiting has been disastrous.

I will root for the team, but I do not expect more than 1-2 wins this season. My outlook will not change until we get an AC staff that’s able to build the team’s talent.

Nope. I’ve seen what I need from the recruiting effort. We currently have one coach who has consistently got in the top 2-3 of priority recruits for his position group. We’ve had some good surprises from young Embo. Aside from that, our recruiting has been disastrous.

I will root for the team, but I do not expect more than 1-2 wins this season. My outlook will not change until we get an AC staff that’s able to build the team’s talent.
Recruiting issues is a fair take, but there is enough talent in this program to get to bowl games in the next few years if the coaching is there.

When I think of incompetency, I think of Jon Embree coached football team, or Mike Macintyre trying to build his roster off of satellite camps.

Recruiting issues is a fair take, but there is enough talent in this program to get to bowl games in the next few years if the coaching is there.

When I think of incompetency, I think of Jon Embree coached football team, or Mike Macintyre trying to build his roster off of satellite camps.
Getting Mel Tucker’s recruits to a bowl game does not make these coaches competent. These coaches must do the work to upgrade the team’s talent now that they’re in charge and collecting checks from the Colorado Athletic Department. As the staff is currently constructed, our recruiting efforts are much closer to the macintyre era than it should after the progress we had earlier this year.

Getting Mel Tucker’s recruits to a bowl game does not make these coaches competent. These coaches must do the work to upgrade the team’s talent now that they’re in charge and collecting checks from the Colorado Athletic Department. As the staff is currently constructed, our recruiting efforts are much closer to the macintyre era than it should after the progress we had earlier this year.
Mel Tucker had one full recruiting class and a couple players from the 2019 class. The roster will never fully be Mel Tucker's recruits. The roster has been good enough to go to bowl games the last three years and it hasn't happened. Coaching has been an issue in this program.

I think incompetency means something completely different to me. If you'd like to see what that means to me, pop in the tape of the 2012 Colorado football program.

Mel Tucker had one full recruiting class and a couple players from the 2019 class. The roster will never fully be Mel Tucker's recruits. The roster has been good enough to go to bowl games the last three years and it hasn't happened. Coaching has been an issue in this program.

I think incompetency means something completely different to me. If you'd like to see what that means to me, pop in the tape of the 2012 Colorado football program.
The best new players in camp came from Mel Tucker’s first full class.

Given the information that came out about the lack of institutional support for (and outright lies told to) Embo and his staff, I am not surprised by their failure.

I view recruiting as 80% of college coaching. This staff is an F so far. Their record on the field this season or even next season with a squad whose talent was pruned by Mel Tucker is not a reflection of their capacity to upgrade talent.

Given the information that came out about the lack of institutional support for (and outright lies told to) Embo and his staff, I am not surprised by their failure.

I view recruiting as 80% of college coaching. This staff is an F so far. Their record on the field this season or even next season with a squad whose talent was pruned by Mel Tucker is not a reflection of their capacity to upgrade talent.
It's not 80%. Coaches can vastly improve recruiting yet make the program have even worse results on the field. See Maryland. That guy won't be able to recruit anyone without some hint of improvement. Tua's brother made an oops.

See kSU. See Indiana. Vastly improved on field. See early results at Iowa St.

It's important but not nearly 80%.

It's not 80%. Coaches can vastly improve recruiting yet make the program have even worse results on the field. See Maryland. That guy won't be able to recruit anyone without some hint of improvement. Tua's brother made an oops.

See kSU. See Indiana. Vastly improved on field. See early results at Iowa St.

It's important but not nearly 80%.
If we are going to get the Junior College player connects that Kansas State has; if we are going to get $50 million per year, then really good coaching can make a difference.

I’d like to give a guy who can recruit lights out more than one game to decide if he’s going to succeed or not.

PS: you can’t be serious in saying that Colorado’s current coaching staff is anywhere near as good as IU, Iowa State, or KState.

This so much. This staff is not capabile

If we are going to get the Junior College player connects that Kansas State has; if we are going to get $50 million per year, then really good coaching can make a difference.

I’d like to give a guy who can recruit lights out more than one game to decide if he’s going to succeed or not.

PS: you can’t be serious in saying that Colorado’s current coaching staff is anywhere near as good as IU, Iowa State, or KState.
KSU isn't relying on JuCo's like they used to under Snyder, before the NCAA shutdown his fake transcript scam.
KSU coaches came cheap, from North Dakota State.
The Maryland coach is in year 2, they are getting worse.

Recruiting is really important, it's just not 80%. In fact, great recruiters fail all the time as head coaches. You got to do both.

My biggest concern with KD is that (including himself), he brought in 4 NFL coaches. And with Covid, and not being to get on the road, that's going to be tough.
I question that strategy, but these are guys he knows (not counting the high school OL coach he hired). Now I think KD may have had some limitations in hiring, and I really question why RG started gutting the AD recruiting dept at the same time.

KSU isn't relying on JuCo's like they used to under Snyder, before the NCAA shutdown his fake transcript scam.
KSU coaches came cheap, from North Dakota State.
The Maryland coach is in year 2, they are getting worse.

Recruiting is really important, it's just not 80%. In fact, great recruiters fail all the time as head coaches. You got to do both.

My biggest concern with KD is that (including himself), he brought in 4 NFL coaches. And with Covid, and not being to get on the road, that's going to be tough.
I question that strategy, but these are guys he knows (not counting the high school OL coach he hired). Now I think KD may have had some limitations in hiring, and I really question why RG started gutting the AD recruiting dept at the same time.
I agree that ideally you need great recruiting and great coaching. If I were to choose, I would select great recruiting everyday since your talent will at least have a chance to use talent to win in college where disparities in talent are still evident.

RE: KState, 6 of their 2020 class were from Jucos and 3 were transfers. That’s 35% of their 2020 new crop of players. That’s a big pipeline still.

RE: Maryland... I mean this season. It’s one game with a QB making his first college start. I am patient.

Overall, debating exceptions isn’t fruitful in addressing the rule. If a college football staff fails to recruit well enough, they have no shot at competing. You can hire GOAT coaching and they’ll still suck if the talent is poor. I’ve already seen the movie here at Colorado wherein we hope to be the little engine that could. That’s not us. KD aint the guy to get us there if we have a staff like the one we have.

What other new players didn’t come from Mel Tuckers class? Honest question.

I agree that ideally you need great recruiting and great coaching. If I were to choose, I would select great recruiting everyday since your talent will at least have a chance to use talent to win in college where disparities in talent are still evident.
This I'll agree with you for, but for a different reason.

If you are going to miss on a coach, miss with a great recruiter, because you can fire the coach but you're stuck with the players for 4-5 years! ;)

This I'll agree with you for, but for a different reason.

If you are going to miss on a coach, miss with a great recruiter, because you can fire the coach but you're stuck with the players for 4-5 years! ;)
That was my point. Getting dudes is the hardest thing about this business. Having coaches who can’t close a door diminishes their value greatly. This is why I assign such a significant weight to recruiting.

That was my point. Getting dudes is the hardest thing about this business. Having coaches who can’t close a door diminishes their value greatly. This is why I assign such a significant weight to recruiting.

Agreed. Simply look at the historical top 25 programs. You could argue success is 90% recruiting or more. This point had been beaten to death.

We have this coaching staff due to the timing of Mel Tucker's departure to MSU. Just give this coaching staff a chance. All they need to do is win ballgames and take us to bowl games. This program isn't in the same shape it was in its late Big 12 years to its first two years in the PAC.

We have this coaching staff due to the timing of Mel Tucker's departure to MSU. Just give this coaching staff a chance. All they need to do is win ballgames and take us to bowl games. This program isn't in the same shape it was in its late Big 12 years to its first two years in the PAC.
No.

Dorrell has inherited a pretty solid defensive unit, particularly in the front seven. He has inherited a solid group of WRs, a deep stable of RBs, a decent OL (Tackle depth notwithstanding), and a very promising young QB. The table is set for them to be a .500 or better program over the next couple seasons, but it's not going to matter if they can't recruit better than they've shown to this point, and keep the talent and depth at or above the level it is currently.

RE: KState, 6 of their 2020 class were from Jucos and 3 were transfers. That’s 35% of their 2020 new crop of players. That’s a big pipeline still.

RE: Maryland... I mean this season. It’s one game with a QB making his first college start. I am patient.

Overall, debating exceptions isn’t fruitful in addressing the rule. If a college football staff fails to recruit well enough, they have no shot at competing. You can hire GOAT coaching and they’ll still suck if the talent is poor. I’ve already seen the movie here at Colorado wherein we hope to be the little engine that could. That’s not us. KD aint the guy to get us there if we have a staff like the one we have.
Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program. You can't deny that and you need coaches who can and will recruit at a high level at the P5. I do agree that this staff has been a failure in recruiting at that high level. The whole give them time is a little hollow to me, but I don't think there has ever been a coaching staff who was put in a weirder situation with the timing of the hires and covid restrictions. CU has major disadvantages with who they can hire because of money. You can't deny that either.

I most certainly not making excuses for their recruiting, however; there are good recruiters on this staff that have proven to be good recruiters at the P5 level (there are really two coaches who are major head scratches to me). You don't just all of a sudden not know how to recruit. I feel as if there is something bigger at play right now and if we are having this same discussion with the 2021 class, then by all means, we can start throwing out the incompetent takes.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program. You can't deny that and you need coaches who can and will recruit at a high level at the P5. I do agree that this staff has been a failure in recruiting at that high level. The whole give them time is a little hollow to me, but I don't think there has ever been a coaching staff who was put in a weirder situation with the timing of the hires and covid restrictions. CU has major disadvantages with who they can hire because of money. You can't deny that either.

I most certainly not making excuses for their recruiting, however; there are good recruiters on this staff that have proven to be good recruiters at the P5 level (there are really two coaches who are major head scratches to me). You don't just all of a sudden not know how to recruit. I feel as if there is something bigger at play right now and if we are having this same discussion with the 2021 class, then by all means, we can start throwing out the incompetent takes.
You can recruit or you can’t. The offers are going out to some real head scratchers already. You’re not going to convince me that the staff as currently constituted is competent. Sorry.

Back