What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2020 Fall Camp Thread

Manhattan, he has shown great discipline and fortitude working on his disease. As well, he has displayed a matured willingness to attend, learn from and grow in the Saban 12-Step Coaches Recovery Program with humility and self-reflection, personally and professionally.

I consider those strengths, not liabilities.
So... we agree!

You conveniently left out the part about his baggage I want nothing to do with. It’s a big deal to me, might not be to you.
Not trying to be snarky, but as a fan (as opposed to his employer, player, or administrator at CU who would presumably vet any concerns), why do you care about a coach’s baggage? Particularly in this case when he was dealing with a personal addiction problem 5 years ago and seemingly has it under control? This was not an Art Briles type isssue, he didn’t leave a school with NCAA violations to clean up after. What about his situation bothers you?

Rick George has been amazing at what he is amazing at. He is really good with donors and fundraising. That was why CU brought him in. Plus, he knows CU's challenges and knows why it can be successful.

However, the dude has cost the athletic department a tremendous amount of money due to has lack of knowledge in coaches contracts. He needs help here and seems unwillingly to do so. His hires have been extremely uninspiring across the board.

Rick and Lance have been very adamant that they value recruiting as a major component of what they look for in a head coach. It just doesn't make any sense to me that they would publicly say this but that wasn't something they looked for in this hire? Something seems way off.

If Rick is saying one thing publicly and doing another, then he needs to be shown the door immediately. I will remain hopeful, but seems same ol, same ol to me. I can see a path where Dorrell can win, but my biggest concern is that his ceiling is a 6-7 win program.

P.S. Sarkisian would have been a homerun hire and I still think this. He will be a head coach again soon.

Rick George has been amazing at what he is amazing at. He is really good with donors and fundraising. That was why CU brought him in. Plus, he knows CU's challenges and knows why it can be successful.

However, the dude has cost the athletic department a tremendous amount of money due to has lack of knowledge in coaches contracts. He needs help here and seems unwillingly to do so. His hires have been extremely uninspiring across the board.

Rick and Lance have been very adamant that they value recruiting as a major component of what they look for in a head coach. It just doesn't make any sense to me that they would publicly say this but that wasn't something they looked for in this hire? Something seems way off.

If Rick is saying one thing publicly and doing another, then he needs to be shown the door immediately. I will remain hopeful, but seems same ol, same ol to me. I can see a path where Dorrell can win, but my biggest concern is that his ceiling is a 6-7 win program.

P.S. Sarkisian would have been a homerun hire and I still think this. He will be a head coach again soon.
giphy.gif

HCKD is the type of person I want to root for to succeed. Sark is a good coach no doubt; however, it is likely that he would bolt at first opportunity and we’d have been left scrambling again. We need a coach who is committed to building a program and not looking forward to the next job.

Really, you want to build a team with one player with an 85 3* and 1 with an 88 and two in with 83. That is the best you have got? This class is horrible and you know it. 11th or 12h I’m the pac. You want to defend that? Hiring a staff nobody in college knows and with zero connections at the high school level. A recruiting coordinator who has no idea what he is doing?

Don’t bring 4 sub par examples and claim any kind of success because it does not exist. They better be able to coach other coaches recruits to wins because the talent is going to get worse, Mike Mac average at best.

He will not make it to the end of his contract if he does not figure the recruiting out

Really, you want to build a team with one player with an 85 3* and 1 with an 88 and two in with 83. That is the best you have got? This class is horrible and you know it. 11th or 12h I’m the pac. You want to defend that? Hiring a staff nobody in college knows and with zero connections at the high school level. A recruiting coordinator who has no idea what he is doing?

Don’t bring 4 sub par examples and claim any kind of success because it does not exist. They better be able to coach other coaches recruits to wins because the talent is going to get worse, Mike Mac average at best.

He will not make it to the end of his contract if he does not figure the recruiting out

I'm not worrying about 4-5 years out right now-we haven't seen Karl Dorrell coach a game here.

You and the others who are are being ****ing ridiculous. Continue on with the "Our coaches aren't as good as zoom as everybody else in the conference is. Fire them all!" nonsense.

haha. I have stated from the beginning that I think Dorrell has a limited ceiling. However, I think Rick wanted to bring Karl in to get the program to consistent bowl games and then hand over the reigns to Chev. Whether right or wrong, I thought this before the Chev untouchable news.

I'm willing to give Dorrell a chance, however; I lean at it not happening. My hope pretty much lies with the ****tyness of 2020 as the reason why the recruiting has gone off the rails.

HCKD is the type of person I want to root for to succeed. Sark is a good coach no doubt; however, it is likely that he would bolt at first opportunity and we’d have been left scrambling again. We need a coach who is committed to building a program and not looking forward to the next job.
I can't get on board with this. You always aim high regardless if you think the coach is going to leave at some point or not. That is small time and will get you 5-7 seasons as a normal. Plus, the buyout for Sark would have been significantly larger and CU would have been in a great place to get another great coach.

I'm not worrying about 4-5 years out right now-we haven't seen Karl Dorrell coach a game here.

You and the others who are are being ****ing ridiculous.

Well, how about 2-3 years. That is all he will get. Without recruiting over some of what he has, he will fail. Every other team we play is getting better through recruiting. If we are 11 or 12 in the Pac he is losing ground and not getting better. Got him fired at UCLA and will get him fired here

A staff that nobody in college knows and no high school connections? That is simply not true. There are most certainly a few staff members that could fit this mold, but completely not true for most of the staff.

A staff that nobody in college knows and no high school connections? That is simply not true. There are most certainly a few staff members that could fit this mold, but completely not true for most of the staff.

That was giving them a benefit of the doubt. If they are so well connected, explain the horrific recruiting performance. Are they just bad at it? Don’t care? What is your excuse for it?

Well, how about 2-3 years. That is all he will get. Without recruiting over some of what he has, he will fail. Every other team we play is getting better through recruiting. If we are 11 or 12 in the Pac he is losing ground and not getting better. Got him fired at UCLA and will get him fired here

The game is in 6 days. Stop.

I can't get on board with this. You always aim high regardless if you think the coach is going to leave at some point or not. That is small time and will get you 5-7 seasons as a normal. Plus, the buyout for Sark would have been significantly larger and CU would have been in a great place to get another great coach.
What’s funny is that Sark is a great example of this - took over a Washington team coming off an 0-12 season, assembled great staffs, recruited well, built them into a winner then bolted for the USC job. Did that hurt Washington’s growth as a program? Nope, they replaced him with Chris Peterson and they’ve been one of the top programs in the conference since. Do you think Washington regrets hiring someone who left for another job? Nope.

The game is in 6 days. Stop.

Not going to happen. I hope they win. I actually predicted 3 wins which most would say is gold tented glasses for what is expected out of this team. But i will continue to rail on the recruiting that is this staff until something changes to show me they get it. They do not

CU does not have the resources of the blue bloods that have large and financially committed fan bases and there is nothing wrong with operating within your capabilities. It’d be similar to advising every baseball player to swing for the fences. A good recipe for 2/3 of the players hitting .180 with a ton of strikeouts. CU can be a relevant player on the national scene, but getting there won’t be a quick fix with a splash hire.

What’s funny is that Sark is a great example of this - took over a Washington team coming off an 0-12 season, assembled great staffs, recruited well, built them into a winner then bolted for the USC job. Did that hurt Washington’s growth as a program? Nope, they replaced him with Chris Peterson and they’ve been one of the top programs in the conference since. Do you think Washington regrets hiring someone who left for another job? Nope.
That is a textbook example of the logical fallacy of cherry picking.

CU does not have the resources of the blue bloods that have large and financially committed fan bases and there is nothing wrong with operating within your capabilities. It’d be similar to advising every baseball player to swing for the fences. A good recipe for 2/3 of the players hitting .180 with a ton of strikeouts. CU can be a relevant player on the national scene, but getting there won’t be a quick fix with a splash hire.
Steve Sarkisian is not swinging for the fences

That was giving them a benefit of the doubt. If they are so well connected, explain the horrific recruiting performance. Are they just bad at it? Don’t care? What is your excuse for it?
Other than Rodrigue, Maxie, and Embree, everyone has coached and recruited at a high level at some point in time on this staff. Embree looks to be up to that standard even though he has no experience. Rodrigue has developed players in the past but is a massive question mark for me and a complete head scratcher. I guess Maxie has been a good coach in the NFL but doesn't seem interested in recruiting at all. I'm not making excuses, but the what stated above is not true and if you don't believe me look up each coaches experience.

I want to believe the late start and COVID is the primary reason. If they fail, its because the head coach didn't demand them to be elite recruiters and move on quickly from staff.

Sark is likely the HCIW at Bama. My guess is when Saban finally hangs it up in a year or three Sark gets the gig. But, clearly having him be the HC at CU would have been a mistake. What planet are you on?

haha. I have stated from the beginning that I think Dorrell has a limited ceiling. However, I think Rick wanted to bring Karl in to get the program to consistent bowl games and then hand over the reigns to Chev. Whether right or wrong, I thought this before the Chev untouchable news.

I'm willing to give Dorrell a chance, however; I lean at it not happening. My hope pretty much lies with the ****tyness of 2020 as the reason why the recruiting has gone off the rails.
I am jealous of your optimism.

Other than Rodrigue, Maxie, and Embree, everyone has coached and recruited at a high level at some point in time on this staff. Embree looks to be up to that standard even though he has no experience. Rodrigue has developed players in the past but is a massive question mark for me and a complete head scratcher. I guess Maxie has been a good coach in the NFL but doesn't seem interested in recruiting at all. I'm not making excuses, but the what stated above is not true and if you don't believe me look up each coaches experience.

I want to believe the late start and COVID is the primary reason. If they fail, its because the head coach didn't demand them to be elite recruiters and move on quickly from staff.

We will agree to disagree. Covid is the same for all teams and is not a valid excuse. I do think Embree is about the best hire he made. The rest of the staff are all head scratchers. Especially the Lopez hiring as the recruiting coordinator.

We will know in about 2 years but I will not let the recruiting topic go. I wi be the first one to eat crow if it turns around and gladly accept it. This staff is not showing any signed of getting it though

Really confused - so it’s ok to settle for Sark but not HCKD?
I like Sarkisian and he is an innovative coach on the offensive side and has had success as a head coach. He knows the Pac 12 and how to recruit in the Pac 12. Sark has big time connections throughout the college world. He would have been a homerun higher to me because he was being hired in February. Plus, he knows what it takes to win at the highest levels. Normal, circumstances I am not sure he is a top choice, but still would have been very happy with him.

Dorrell last coached in college over a decade ago and pretty much no one knows who he is. Yes, Sark would have been infinitely better than Dorrell, IMO. I'm willing to give Dorrell a chance, but think his ceiling is very low (5-7 win seasons as normal).

Ask this question. It seems you don't like Sarkisian because he used to have a drinking problem. If he has broken that, do you not think he would be a better head coach than Dorrell? You flat out said you don't like Sark because of this, so if he has broke that, why do you not like him?

I like Sarkisian and he is an innovative coach on the offensive side and has had success as a head coach. He knows the Pac 12 and how to recruit in the Pac 12. Sark has big time connections throughout the college world. He would have been a homerun higher to me because he was being hired in February. Plus, he knows what it takes to win at the highest levels. Normal, circumstances I am not sure he is a top choice, but still would have been very happy with him.

Dorrell last coached in college over a decade ago and pretty much no one knows who he is. Yes, Sark would have been infinitely better than Dorrell, IMO. I'm willing to give Dorrell a chance, but think his ceiling is very low (5-7 win seasons as normal).

Ask this question. It seems you don't like Sarkisian because he used to have a drinking problem. If he has broken that, do you not think he would be a better head coach than Dorrell? You flat out said you don't like Sark because of this, so if he has broke that, why do you not like him?
Yeah, think you are confusing me with someone else re: the drinking. Haven’t commented on it.

Had Sark been the hire I’d be supportive of it and you raise good points as to why. I was actually hoping he would be at the time. My main take it is that he wasn’t the hire so no reason to get hung up on what might have been. HCKD wasn’t even on my radar at the time, but going to be pulling for him and the staff to get the ship righted.

Not trying to be snarky, but as a fan (as opposed to his employer, player, or administrator at CU who would presumably vet any concerns), why do you care about a coach’s baggage? Particularly in this case when he was dealing with a personal addiction problem 5 years ago and seemingly has it under control? This was not an Art Briles type isssue, he didn’t leave a school with NCAA violations to clean up after. What about his situation bothers you?
Personally, knowing people who’ve dealt with alcoholism, it’s a difficult beast to get rid of, especially in times of stress and pressure. He’s doing well at a spot where he doesn’t have to be “the guy.” My fear is having someone who’s fallen hard down that path in the past leading the program, is not what CU needs. Not saying he’d go back down that route, but assuming the responsibility of leading a program can do crazy things. It’s just my opinion. To me he’s not some no brainer must hire, to much extra stuff to worry about.

And with KD, I simply think the guy deserves a chance this year and going forward, under normal circumstances. Let’s see how he does on a few game days, and if he has th connections and understanding of the college game to build a better staff when his backs not against the wall from day one.

Back