What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2020 Fall Camp Thread

I don't agree with his assessment of the defense. Second year in the system, most talented and deepest front seven this program has had in years, and while there's concern with depth at Safety, there's actually a decent amount of experience at CB and a ton of young talent that will push for playing time.

And I actually thought his view on the offense was fair, but you gotta acknowledge Montez being the starter the last three seasons was part of the problem. It might not improve this season, but it also is not falling from some high level-Montez was really bad last season.

Even the media continues to overrate Montez. Are people just scared to call any multi-year starter "bad" or what?
agreed. I think it's valid to say that there is uncertainty at the position, but until we see performance in a game, we won't know if this year is an upgrade or a downgrade at QB. It's definitely not an automatic downgrade just because we replacing Montez.

agreed. I think it's valid to say that there is uncertainty at the position, but until we see performance in a game, we won't know if this year is an upgrade or a downgrade at QB. It's definitely not an automatic downgrade just because we replacing Montez.

You can't even necessarily say QB play will be much more inconsistent this season.

I would also say that outside of Tackle depth, this is probably the best OL with the most continuity this program has had in years. Maybe they aren't a great unit, but they are bigger than they've been in years, experienced, and there is some talent in the first team group, including a possible day two NFL draft pick.

I don't agree with his assessment of the defense. Second year in the system, most talented and deepest front seven this program has had in years, and while there's concern with depth at Safety, there's actually a decent amount of experience at CB and a ton of young talent that will push for playing time.

I get outside skepticism about the secondary, but I do not think it is a stretch to say the front seven is solid. Some proven all-conference talent mixed with decent depth.

I agree, the D should be better, but P12 offenses tend to score. Last year's unit was pretty poor in the scoring defense department giving up 31.8 ppg. OSU, fUCLA and AZ were worse, but suffice it to say, you aren't winning much if you give up 30+ a game, unless you have a rock star O.

I think we can all agree CU's O will likely take a big step back without Viska, Montez and Brown. And yes, Montez had his limitations, and his performance never matched his substantial physical talent, but he was still the best QB had on its roster.

I have a hard time finding more than 3 W's.

I agree, the D should be better, but P12 offenses tend to score. Last year's unit was pretty poor in the scoring defense department giving up 31.8 ppg. OSU, fUCLA and AZ were worse, but suffice it to say, you aren't winning much if you give up 30+ a game, unless you have a rock star O.

I think we can all agree CU's O will likely take a big step back without Viska, Montez and Brown. And yes, Montez had his limitations, and his performance never matched his substantial physical talent, but he was still the best QB had on its roster.

I have a hard time finding more than 3 W's.
3-3 in a 6 game "regular season" would be a solid year, all things considered.

3-3 in a 6 game "regular season" would be a solid year, all things considered.
I would be encouraged. I see 3W's as the high water mark, nothing goes wrong, everything goes right scenario. In other words, not likely. CU would have to play over their heads to get there.

The other "big picture" observation missing there is that for everything that has gone wrong in 2020 for CU, the schedule has improved dramatically.

This team had @Texas A&M, home against Oregon, and @ Washington dropped from the schedule and drew Stanford as the one known North opponent.

The other "big picture" observation missing there is that for everything that has gone wrong in 2020 for CU, the schedule has improved dramatically.

This team had @Texas A&M, home against Oregon, and @ Washington dropped from the schedule and drew Stanford as the one known North opponent.
His reasoning for predicting an L against Stanford (No Viska) is a little weak, IMO. Stanford isn't good.

Even if you think CU is bad (entirely reasonable), I think it is fair to say UCLA, Stanford, and Arizona are not world beaters. That is half the schedule. It may not take a special team to win three games out of seven.
And if game 7 is going to be 1v1, 2v2, etc, it's likely that CU gets matched up with Oregon State, Stanford or Washington State, which is another "winnable" game. I truly don't think 3-4/4-3 is some ridiculous prediction.

You can't even necessarily say QB play will be much more inconsistent this season.

The QB position is a huge unknown. If we are mid-season and there are Jordan Webb or Adam Bledsoe comparisons, then QB is downgraded. If better than Montez, then CU play will be upgraded... Montez is not the highest of bars, but Webb and Bledsoe are pretty low...

The QB position is a huge unknown. If we are mid-season and there are Jordan Webb or Adam Bledsoe comparisons, then QB is downgraded. If better than Montez, then CU play will be upgraded... Montez is not the highest of bars, but Webb and Bledsoe are pretty low...
So if by mid-season the QB play is better than Montez it will be an upgrade, but if it's worse than Montez, it'll be a downgrade? Strong take!

. And yes, Montez had his limitations, and his performance never matched his substantial physical talent, but he was still the best QB had on its roster.
I disagree with this. MM would only play the older guys because they put their time in, and no way was MT going to sit a starting 5th year SR in his 1st year coaching. I believe once we see Lytle we will wonder what the **** these coaches were thinking not playing him early. I hope Lytle proves me right.

I disagree with this. MM would only play the older guys because they put their time in, and no way was MT going to sit a starting 5th year SR in his 1st year coaching. I believe once we see Lytle we will wonder what the **** these coaches were thinking not playing him early. I hope Lytle proves me right.
Fair enough.

I am aware of Montez' sometimes disappointing play. I suppose I am in the minority, but I see little practical difference between Sefo and Montez. Both were physically gifted QB's who, at times, struggled with mechanics and decision-making. IMO, Sefo and Montez had a lot of talent but never quite measured up to their potential, but that happens a lot, not just in football. It really is not a knock on the person.

Nevertheless, both made NFL rosters, both as practice players, I believe, so I feel I am not alone in having the opinion they are probably better players than they get credit for around here from some. Add in that they generally spent their careers running for their lives behind, ahem, average OL, and rarely had a dominating running game to lean on, I think they both acquitted themselves rather well. Some of you expect an awful lot from 18-22 year old QB's.

That being said, I will be absolutely giddy if Lytle wins the job and is an improvement over Montez.

Just having two legit QB's on the roster is unacceptable.

It’s obviously a HIPPA situation, but it would be nice to know exactly what the medical situation is.

Having Alfano on the field would sure help a lot. Could be the difference in a game or two. Having the ability to rotate some of those guys on the DL and keep them fresh in the 4th quarter is a big deal. Fingers crossed his “medical” issue is resolved quickly.

Just read the update on rivals about the safeties and one thing that Maxie brought up was the offense runs a lot of plays to the perimeter with a lot of short passes trying to get the ball to the playmakers. To me this is sounding a lot like the 2018 offense Chev ran. We shall see, but starting to put pieces together it tells me this offense will be very similar to 2018, just won't have Viska.

Just read the update on rivals about the safeties and one thing that Maxie brought up was the offense runs a lot of plays to the perimeter with a lot of short passes trying to get the ball to the playmakers. To me this is sounding a lot like the 2018 offense Chev ran. We shall see, but starting to put pieces together it tells me this offense will be very similar to 2018, just won't have Viska.

Its all a trick! 60% Running, Tight Ends in the middle of the field, Bombs to Arias. We are playing the trickster game!

Back