What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2022 Fall Camp Thread

My belief is that Rick George is searching for his Kyle Whittingham or Sonny Lubick (or Bill McCartney for that matter). A good football coach that won’t leave for a bigger stage. Someone that will bring consistent, stable football to Boulder. I think he believes that if he chases rising stars, he will be looking for a new coach every two to three years if successful or every four years if they’re not. If you do land that good coach and they leave, chances are that you will miss on the next coach because the hit rate for most coaches is 25% or worse on new hires.

It’s pretty obvious this how he sees Dorrell, as a solid football coach where he won games at UCLA where few coaches won before or after him. Dorrell will stay if successful and he’s young enough to have a long run, again if successful.

You and I can agree or disagree on the particular hire, but that’s the strategy / mentality of RG.
One glaring and enormous difference between Willingham, Lubick and coach Mac is that they know football X's and O's, how to develop players, call games, understand the rules and make excellent in game changes. Dorrell is a bottom feeder in those key areas.
He was a safe hire who wouldn't bolt, supposedly a nice guy (although ask the media and a certain photographer) and is in way over his head during games. RG is still stung by the effort he put into Mel Tucker and how he left. Dorrell is not the answer at CU. However, he may be an excellent coach at Broomfield HS

One glaring and enormous difference between Willingham, Lubick and coach Mac is that they know football X's and O's, how to develop players, call games, understand the rules and make excellent in game changes. Dorrell is a bottom feeder in those key areas.
He was a safe hire who wouldn't bolt, supposedly a nice guy (although ask the media and a certain photographer) and is in way over his head during games. RG is still stung by the effort he put into Mel Tucker and how he left. Dorrell is not the answer at CU. However, he may be an excellent coach at Broomfield HS
Wait, HCKD has a house in Broomfield too?

All fair points. Again, that points to poor execution rather than poor strategy. At the end of the day, Rick George is responsible for both.

We’ve had some solid to great walk-ons. It’s not a bad thing to have walk-ons step up and play in spots. I was impressed with the list and had forgotten some of these guys were walk-on’s, included three solid “Ryan” safeties:

Joel Klatt
Charles Johnson
D.J. Hackett
Jeff Smart
Jeff Campbell
Ryan Black
Ryan Sutter
Ryan Moeller
and of course, Brady Russell.
Scott McKnight (he walked on too, right?)

Blair Hubbard would like a word. ;)

I’m critical of RG too. But come on. He was bright enough to hire Tucker. He is limited by his lack of support in the administration. One guy isn’t to blame. It’s institutional incompetency.
I don't think a lack of support from the admin led to the Dorrell hire. I think RG being scared enough to go hire another candidate with the resume of Tucker (especially after the flirtation with Sarkisian) led to it.

I don't think a lack of support from the admin led to the Dorrell hire. I think RG being scared enough to go hire another candidate with the resume of Tucker (especially after the flirtation with Sarkisian) led to it.
The admin told him they didn't want another Tucker. Tucker made waves, Tucker pushed the envelope with admissions, his players weren't bad people but he looked for guys who were serious about football.

Admin doesn't want push back, they don't want to hear boosters saying the coach told them he wasn't getting supported.

“Brendon Lewis looked like Brendon Lewis”

Not good. Not good at all.
Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Been thinking this for a while-I'd be floored if JT Shrout is not the starter against TCU.

Last edited:
The admin told him they didn't want another Tucker. Tucker made waves, Tucker pushed the envelope with admissions, his players weren't bad people but he looked for guys who were serious about football.

Admin doesn't want push back, they don't want to hear boosters saying the coach told them he wasn't getting supported.
If the admin didn't want another Tucker.......why did Steve Sarkisian turn CU down?

What you're saying isn't making sense.

I've been as down and apathetic as most here about this season, but damn watching some preseason football (Rise Up Atlanta!) yesterday got me real excited for football season like I do every year. Especially seeing Nate Landman making some plays!

We're going to blow mighty chunks, but I love this university's athletics even if RG and KD are shoving a giant middle finger our way every time we show up to watch. I'll be pissed off and disappointed for likely 10 out of the 12 games this year but it's still going to be fun going to Folsom and settling in on the couch for away games.

How's that for sunshine?

Last edited:
Was Funk brought?
Was there Junk in a Trunk?
Was anything Pounded or Launched? Anything at all?
Did anyone tube in a creek or strum a guitar?
Did any coach wear a large sun hat?
And most important, was the concluding refreshment a Juice Box or a Popsicle?

I've been as down and apathetic as most here about this season, but damn watching some preseason football (Rise Up Atlanta!) yesterday got me real excited for football season like I do every year. Especially seeing Nate Landman making some plays!

We're going to blow mighty chunks, but I love this university's athletics even if RG and KD are shoving a giant middle finger our way every time we show up to watch. I'll be pissed off and disappointed for likely 10 out of the 12 games this year but it's still going to be fun going to Folsom and settling in on the couch for away games.

Fight CU down the field….

Shoulder to shoulder we will blow some mighty chunks!

My belief is that Rick George is searching for his Kyle Whittingham or Sonny Lubick (or Bill McCartney for that matter). A good football coach that won’t leave for a bigger stage. Someone that will bring consistent, stable football to Boulder. I think he believes that if he chases rising stars, he will be looking for a new coach every two to three years if successful or every four years if they’re not. If you do land that good coach and they leave, chances are that you will miss on the next coach because the hit rate for most coaches is 25% or worse on new hires.

It’s pretty obvious this how he sees Dorrell, as a solid football coach where he won games at UCLA where few coaches won before or after him. Dorrell will stay if successful and he’s young enough to have a long run, again if successful.

You and I can agree or disagree on the particular hire, but that’s the strategy / mentality of RG.
All fine and dandy but doesn’t explain the ridiculous contract for a nobody with no ability to exit when needed.
In the real world, Dorrell’s contract is a terminable offense for RG.

All fine and dandy but doesn’t explain the ridiculous contract for a nobody with no ability to exit when needed.
In the real world, Dorrell’s contract is a terminable offense for RG.
What world is CU in?

According to Adam, it is going to be different, but the real question is the team going to be different how, exactly...Maybe JT Shrout comes in to make us more prolific on passing?

According to Adam, it is going to be different, but the real question is the team going to be different how, exactly...Maybe JT Shrout comes in to make us more prolific on passing?
They say that they don’t want to give away scheme, but as someone who is only partially paying attention, it’s clearly going to be a quick pass type of offense. No long developing patterns. Teach the QBs to come to the line of scrimmage, knowing where they are going with the ball. That should help Lewis, but I’ll be shocked if JT doesn’t get the majority of the snaps this year, barring injury.

Back