What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2022 Fall Camp Thread

They say that they don’t want to give away scheme, but as someone who is only partially paying attention, it’s clearly going to be a quick pass type of offense. No long developing patterns. Teach the QBs to come to the line of scrimmage, knowing where they are going with the ball. That should help Lewis, but I’ll be shocked if JT doesn’t get the majority of the snaps this year, barring injury.
Sounds a whole lot like a high school scheme. Or Minnesota's, but without their OLine and RBs. Oh boy.

They say that they don’t want to give away scheme, but as someone who is only partially paying attention, it’s clearly going to be a quick pass type of offense. No long developing patterns. Teach the QBs to come to the line of scrimmage, knowing where they are going with the ball. That should help Lewis, but I’ll be shocked if JT doesn’t get the majority of the snaps this year, barring injury.
Out of curiosity, why do you think this about the offensive scheme?

Or air raid, spread and RPO based offenses.
Well, it's not Air Raid. And given Sanford's tendencies it's not spread. There may be some RPO if Lewis is the guy. I'm sticking with something similar to Minny's offense with a bit a flair thrown in here and there.

Well, it's not Air Raid. And given Sanford's tendencies it's not spread. There may be some RPO if Lewis is the guy. I'm sticking with something similar to Minny's offense with a bit a flair thrown in here and there.
My point is quick passing game can be used to describe every offense in college outside of the double wing stuff. It’s just strange for you to go out if your way to describe it as a high school offense

My point is quick passing game can be used to describe every offense in college outside of the double wing stuff. It’s just strange for you to go out if your way to describe it as a high school offense
"Teach the QBs to come to the line of scrimmage, knowing where they are going with the ball." That's HS level. If you have a scheme where you pre-load your QB options pre-snap, you're not exactly running a complex offense or you don't have a QB who knows what they're doing. Or both.

"Teach the QBs to come to the line of scrimmage, knowing where they are going with the ball." That's HS level. If you have a scheme where you pre-load your QB options pre-snap, you're not exactly running a complex offense or you don't have a QB who knows what they're doing. Or both.
I'm waiting for Spiff's response as to where the content of his post is coming from. To date, I've not heard Sanford, Dorrell or any of the players say this, or anything about quick passing (although admittedly I haven't listened to every press conference or interview). In fact, most reports from the Spring were that the offense being installed is far more intricate than last years, with a lot of options at the LOS based on the look, and from the scrimmage reports, multiple TD passes were of the middle depth variety.

office space flair GIF

Dorrell and Sanford have both said that the offense will be a mixture of spread and RPO with WCO concepts. Not really sure what all that means, but basically what most of college football runs.

Edit: This was said around when Sanford was hired and Dorrell talked about Sanford fitting where he envisions the offense (RPO/Spread) than Chev who was more of Air Raid, sideline to sideline concept kind of guy. I haven't seen anything else mentioned so either people are flat just throwing **** against the wall, or have seen comments that I haven't seen.

You do realize that RPO has nothing to do with a mobile QB, right?

I get that conclusion-dink and dunk-from listening to the carefully worded post-scrimmage discussion from Brian and Adam, as well.

But listening to Brady’s specific discussion of the 30 yard TD from J.T., I got a different feeling about the offense. Brady talked about focusing on holding his safety long enough for the WR to pull the corner up before breaking to his spot. He made a point of saying how he was waiting and waiting for that key, and when he saw it and broke J.T. already had the ball on the way. They both read the defender, waited for the key, and connected on the route. Then TD.

Now THAT’s what I want to see in a pass offense, and that’s why I’m rooting to J.T. to win the job. I think he will, for exactly that reason. I don’t dig dink and dunk, either. But this description is the sort of scheme and connection I recall more from the M.T. “era”: e.g., the KD flea-flicker against the Nubs, good planning and execution (with a Senior QB, limited as he might have been). Not the flat-hat “offensive” era since.

Granted. Just one example of… one. So who knows?

I rest my pre-season optimism on the fact that I haven’t heard that level of detail on a route from a receiver—and then had the ball in the air before the break—here in a while.

I get that conclusion-dink and dunk-from listening to the carefully worded post-scrimmage discussion from Brian and Adam, as well.

But listening to Brady’s specific discussion of the 30 yard TD from J.T., I got a different feeling about the offense. Brady talked about focusing on holding his safety long enough for the WR to pull the corner up before breaking to his spot. He made a point of saying how he was waiting and waiting for that key, and when he saw it and broke J.T. already had the ball on the way. They both read the defender, waited for the key, and connected on the route. Then TD.

Now THAT’s what I want to see in a pass offense, and that’s why I’m rooting to J.T. to win the job. I think he will, for exactly that reason. I don’t dig dink and dunk, either. But this description is the sort of scheme and connection I recall more from the M.T. “era”: e.g., the KD flea-flicker against the Nubs, good planning and execution (with a Senior QB, limited as he might have been). Not the flat-hat “offensive” era since.

Granted. Just one example of… one. So who knows?

I rest my pre-season optimism on the fact that I haven’t heard that level of detail on a route from a receiver—and then had the ball in the air before the break—here in a while.
Yeah. I'm expecting to see route trees which actually make sense with potential targets at different levels and the QB having hot reads which immediately tell him where to throw depending on what a CB or S the play pressures decides to do.

I also think that we'll have fewer plays but that they will be run out of all personnel packages. One of our biggest issues under Chev's offense was that the personnel on the field pretty much told the defense what the play might be with alignment then making it obvious all too often.

Flair would be great about 30 years ago. Way too old now.

Woooo!

Why not try him at TE? It’s what we do best.
Better yet, Safety.

I love that our QB got flagged for an unnecessary roughness penalty when he was playing as a Safety. I still wonder how last year would have gone if he hadn’t transferred just to ride the bench at OSU. I think he would have started over B’lew, after he got his shoulder fixed.

Season starts in just over 2 weeks. Tickets have not been delivered, I cannot buy a parking pass, and the AD hasn't posted anything about parking/tailgating policies for a Friday night...

Can't blame the fans for apathy when it comes from the AD itself.
I got an email from the ticket office a day or two ago that said the parking passes would be delivered via USPS the last week in August. I’d imagine the Friday policies will come out via email or text the week of the game. Probably no different than any other Friday night game.

Season starts in just over 2 weeks. Tickets have not been delivered, I cannot buy a parking pass, and the AD hasn't posted anything about parking/tailgating policies for a Friday night...

The poor customer service was a part of my disengagement from CU football. Just another straw....

There's lots to bitch about but I disagree with you about all this. We got an email last week from the ticket office about when e-tickets will be delivered & I am sure parking/tailgating will come out closer to the game that is still 2 1/2 weeks away.

To hand the ball off or throw it? Very few RPO schemes are going to give the QB the ability to read run or pass and then option off a DE to keep the ball himself on the run. That's essentially triple option with one of the options being a pass.
If you are talking about an offense where the target of the pass is predetermined in the play call that is HS level. If you are talking about an offense that ask the QB to make a pre-snap read and quickly get the ball to that receiver that is what most of the college offenses in the country are incorporating to some extent or other.

Coaches have more limited time with their QBs and with their offenses on the field than they used to. Defenses are lining up with pass rushers who are often the best athletes on the team against offensive lines that have had limited time to work since high school.

For most teams if you aren't getting the ball out quickly you are inviting bad things to happen to your QB.

Does all this mean that I expect us to be surprised in a good way by this years CU offense? No. Sanford has never been known as a particularly dynamic offensive coach and there is a reason that a coach with as much experience as Dorrell was stuck coaching WRs before he came here.

The poor customer service was a part of my disengagement from CU football. Just another straw....
That's the stuff that drives me crazy.

I understand that we'll miss on some coaching hires and recruits. That sports is cyclical and there will be some bad stretches to weather as a fan of a team.

What I'll never understand or accept is an organization which runs inefficiently and which doesn't value its customers. CU does not behave as if they need to re-sell us every year (should be every week) on being boosters, ticket holders and fans. They act as if they're entitled to our support no matter how poor their customer service and how lacking their amenities & other things outside W/L which go into the value proposition for the customer.

Back