What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2022 Fall Camp Thread

Norvell is a coach I've respected for a long time. That was cool.
Class act and authentic. I bet he is successful at CSU and would trade Norvell for Dorrell in a second. Great BCS experience, too. Rick George is not bright enough to hire a head coach like Norvell. RG‘s main strategy is his own compensation and term of employment, so as to maximize his PERA benefits in retirement.

Last edited:
Class act and authentic. I bet he is successful at CSU and would trade Norvell for Dorrell in a second. Great BCS experience, too. Rick George is not bright enough to hire a head coach like Norvell. RG‘s main strategy is his own compensation and term of employment, so as to maximize his PERA benefits in retirement.
I’m critical of RG too. But come on. He was bright enough to hire Tucker. He is limited by his lack of support in the administration. One guy isn’t to blame. It’s institutional incompetency.

The public good.

alonzo-mourning.gif

My belief is that Rick George is searching for his Kyle Whittingham or Sonny Lubick (or Bill McCartney for that matter). A good football coach that won’t leave for a bigger stage. Someone that will bring consistent, stable football to Boulder. I think he believes that if he chases rising stars, he will be looking for a new coach every two to three years if successful or every four years if they’re not. If you do land that good coach and they leave, chances are that you will miss on the next coach because the hit rate for most coaches is 25% or worse on new hires.

It’s pretty obvious this how he sees Dorrell, as a solid football coach where he won games at UCLA where few coaches won before or after him. Dorrell will stay if successful and he’s young enough to have a long run, again if successful.

You and I can agree or disagree on the particular hire, but that’s the strategy / mentality of RG.

My belief is that Rick George is searching for his Kyle Whittingham or Sonny Lubick (or Bill McCartney for that matter). A good football coach that won’t leave for a bigger stage. Someone that will bring consistent, stable football to Boulder. I think he believes that if he chases rising stars, he will be looking for a new coach every two to three years if successful or every four years if they’re not. If you do land that good coach and they leave, chances are that you will miss on the next coach because the hit rate for most coaches is 25% or worse on new hires.

It’s pretty obvious this how he sees Dorrell, as a solid football coach where he won games at UCLA where few coaches won before or after him. Dorrell will stay if successful and he’s young enough to have a long run, again if successful.

You and I can agree or disagree on the particular hire, but that’s the strategy / mentality of RG.
That may be the strategy, but HCKD does not fit the model. He did not move the needle from where fUCLA was at under Toledo. They slipped under Tricky Ricky, but even Jim Mora won as much as Dorrell at fUCLA.

Add in the collective wisdom of CFB indicates, nobody else was ever going to hire him as a HC makes the choice a head scratcher, at best, an unmitigated disaster at worst. CU needs a miracle worker, somebody who just keeps the ship limping along won't cut it. Given HCKD's lack of recruiting success at fUCLA, and I think it is very likely this experiment does not work. I hope I am wrong.

That may be the strategy, but HCKD does not fit the model. He did not move the needle from where fUCLA was at under Toledo. They slipped under Tricky Ricky, but even Jim Mora won as much as Dorrell at fUCLA.

Add in the collective wisdom of CFB indicates, nobody else was ever going to hire him as a HC makes the choice a head scratcher, at best, an unmitigated disaster at worst. CU needs a miracle worker, somebody who just keeps the ship limping along won't cut it. Given HCKD's lack of recruiting success at fUCLA, and I think it is very likely this experiment does not work. I hope I am wrong.
It sounds like you have an issue with the execution and not the strategy. I also have an issue with the execution.

Rick George is doing exactly what he was hired to do and what he has been told to do by the administration above him.

CU Boulder wants to pretend like it is some kind of elite academic/research institution and doesn't want to "dirty" itself by doing the things needed to compete in major college sports. As long as the program is making enough money to pay for the rest of the athletic programs, provide a platform to keep some alums/donors engaged, and not be in the media for negative things while breaking even and in fact funding some administrative activities they don't want on their own budget then they are getting exactly what they want.

These guys are hired to do what the administration wants them to do.

Remember all the negative comments Mike Bohn got on this site with people saying he couldn't do what it takes to win. He leaves here and is part of putting G5 Cincinnati in position to contend for the playoff and moves on to USC where it certainly appears they are playing big boy football moving to the B1G and hiring Mike Riley away from the Sooners.

This is not to say that RG given free reign and resources would put a champion on the field in Boulder but he certainly isn't the reason we don't have that.

Do you even have a clue what you are talking about sometimes.

Norvell does appear to be an excellent hire for CSU but let's see how he does in Ft. Collins and how long he stays if he wins.

Big issue here is your stupid comment about PERA. No question that Rick George is doing well for himself financially but PERA isn't part of that picture. Under the current regulations to receive a substantial pension from PERA he would have to either stay at CU for at least 25 years or purchase service credit from PERA at a rate of roughly 40% of his yearly income per year of service credit purchased. Nah, don't think that makes much sense for him financially.

If he sticks around in Boulder for at least 10 years and retires after the age of 65 he will receive a PERA pension but it will be insignificant compared to the income he is accustomed to. If he were to retire at 65 based on starting in 2013 he would receive an annual pre-tax benefit of about 32% of his highest average salary. He will also have his social security benefits reduced by 50%.

The only strategy that’ll work is a change in priority at the highest level. As long as the administration is happy to settle, we will be relegated to what we’ve been for the last 20 years. I’m not seeing any change coming anytime soon. We are cash strapped with no foreseeable change. I’m just not seeing it.

Maaayyyybbbee this new coaching staff will start producing better recruits. The biggest barrier I see to that is the uncertainty of CU’s standing within the greater college football landscape.

Did BLew throw in rhythm?
Could OT 1s handle Thomas and Lange?
Did Sneed and/or Brown get reps?
Did Arias get open vs CB 1s?
Who was on field more with Barnes? 12 or 8?
Who was C with 1s?
Were coaches on field during scrimmage?
Can OL 2s perform?

Those are some things I want to know.
Those questions sound pretty straight forward and I assume they will be answered.

We’ve had some solid to great walk-ons. It’s not a bad thing to have walk-ons step up and play in spots. I was impressed with the list and had forgotten some of these guys were walk-on’s, included three solid “Ryan” safeties:

Joel Klatt
Charles Johnson
D.J. Hackett
Jeff Smart
Jeff Campbell
Ryan Black
Ryan Sutter
Ryan Moeller
and of course, Brady Russell.

It sounds like you have an issue with the execution and not the strategy. I also have an issue with the execution.
Exactly. As much as I like the hire a high flyer and realize he will bolt after establishing success and you will rinse and repeat, I see the utility of what RG tried. I just think he woefully missed the mark.

We’ve had some solid to great walk-ons. It’s not a bad thing to have walk-ons step up and play in spots. I was impressed with the list and had forgotten some of these guys were walk-on’s, included three solid “Ryan” safeties:

Joel Klatt
Charles Johnson
D.J. Hackett
Jeff Smart
Jeff Campbell
Ryan Black
Ryan Sutter
Ryan Moeller
and of course, Brady Russell.
How can you leave off Jason Espinoza?

Last edited:
Back