What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2022 Fall Camp Thread

A bust relative to what? He was a 5th year grad transfer from Incarnate Word who missed the entire 2021 season due to injury. Pretty sure he was brought in to provide some depth to the DL group.
Bust relative to the program and some around here talking like he might be the spark guy/difference maker on D.

Again, it’s 7.5 sacks of production for two players. That’s horrible. Mustafa wasn’t good last season, Lang is a much better player. Alvin Williams was one of the better recruits of Tucker’s class. He’s a high potential player. Main might not be great, but again, it’s 7.5 sacks. We aren’t replacing massive production there.
The thing is, we could not generate pressure without blitzing and the 2 guys who were fairly disruptive when blitzing have graduated. Plus, our DL who was our most productive pass rusher has graduated.

I don't think we lose productivity that was at a high level, but we are in a situation where we don't know if we have anyone who can generate at least intermittent pressure. That's terrifying when we don't know if our back 7 can hold up in coverage.

Kind of hard to play defense if you can't bring quick pressure with 4 and you can't cover well enough to make the QB take extra time in the pocket scanning for an open receiver.

We may find answers, but we shouldn't assume we have those answers unless & until we see it on the field.

Again, it’s 7.5 sacks of production for two players. That’s horrible. Mustafa wasn’t good last season, Lang is a much better player. Alvin Williams was one of the better recruits of Tucker’s class. He’s a high potential player. Main might not be great, but again, it’s 7.5 sacks. We aren’t replacing massive production there.
Expecting superior performance from guys who were outperformed by the guys they replace. Recipe for certain success. I stand corrected.

Also not the greatest break to draw the Air Raid in week one.
At least that's not about pass rush since they get the ball out so damn fast.

That is mostly going to be about whether our secondary can press to disrupt timing without getting torched.

Bust relative to the program and some around here talking like he might be the spark guy/difference maker on D.
Dude, Main has eight sacks in four years of play. And that came against pretty impressive competition at ICC and Incarnate Word. There is no conclusion but that he will dominate the lesser competition the P12 presents. Book it.

At least that's not about pass rush since they get the ball out so damn fast.

That is mostly going to be about whether our secondary can press to disrupt timing without getting torched.

Keep in mind both their potential starters at QB can run very well.
Naked And Afraid Xl Jungle GIF by Discovery

The thing is, we could not generate pressure without blitzing and the 2 guys who were fairly disruptive when blitzing have graduated. Plus, our DL who was our most productive pass rusher has graduated.

I don't think we lose productivity that was at a high level, but we are in a situation where we don't know if we have anyone who can generate at least intermittent pressure. That's terrifying when we don't know if our back 7 can hold up in coverage.

Kind of hard to play defense if you can't bring quick pressure with 4 and you can't cover well enough to make the QB take extra time in the pocket scanning for an open receiver.

We may find answers, but we shouldn't assume we have those answers unless & until we see it on the field.
Expecting superior performance from guys who were outperformed by the guys they replace. Recipe for certain success. I stand corrected.
Again, Thomas missed a lot of time last year and he was our best pass rusher. He returns this year. And yes, I think there is always a bit of projection for good recruits like Alvin Williams to make an impact.

Look, I’m not saying we will have a good pass rush. I’m saying we didn’t really lose anything from that standpoint and I don’t think it’s a stretch to say what we did lose is replaceable. Stop with the Mustafa talk. He isn’t much of a loss, just like he made virtually no difference when he came back last year because he couldn’t even sign as UDFA. Guy wasn’t good, and honestly hasn’t been very good since 2018.

Keep in mind both their potential starters at QB can run very well.
Naked And Afraid Xl Jungle GIF by Discovery
Just had flashbacks to the Toledo and Hawaii games followed by thoughts of Arizona. Thanks for that. Better than a late afternoon coffee to perk me up for finishing off the work day. Well, better other than having to explain to staff why I'm grumbling to myself while crying.

I think it’s entirely possible, and maybe even likely, that while Sanford’s track record is essentially mediocrity, he elevates the worst FBS offense from last year, to a serviceable unit in 2022.

I think fans are actually underestimating just how awful the offensive coordination, play calling, QB coaching and OL coaching were last year. I think this could be a rare circumstance where there is pretty large addition by subtraction.

I don't discount the overall awfulness of last year, but I doubt Sanford is the guy to make that jump to serviceable.

Three if you count Bama or Georgia in the national championship game.
LOL I thought Texas was going to go from 5-7 to the CFP? Guess not.

I remember hearing Mark Dantonio talking about playing AFA before Midnight took over at Nassar State-he said they started putting in AFA specific stuff the previous spring.

I don't discount the overall awfulness of last year, but I doubt Sanford is the guy to make that jump to serviceable.
I think that even Chev would have had us at "unacceptable team weakness" last year on offense if our OL coaching hadn't been such a nightmare that we improved by switching mid season to an intern who got along with the guys & did nothing more than say to go back to what you did before the blocking sled system.

From there, serviceable isn't a big jump with upgrades to OL, TE, WR and especially an experienced OC who also coaches the QBs. Hell, just having a legitimate offensive staff all on the same page - even if they aren't world beaters - is orders of magnitude better.

SO MUCH FIRE AND PASSION!!! WOW. Why would an 18 year ever want to play for this guy?
I get it.

But as someone who speaks in front groups of people for a living, too, I wouldn’t criticize him for being calm and measured most of the time, especially at the beginning of camp. People can only listen to pumped up energy every so often before they just tune it out. You really do have to pick your spots, like maybe a few weeks in when everyone is sore and sapped.

But more importantly, I think it can work well to simply be genuine with people in these situations—that can engender trust and a real connection, too. Sure, some people are going to be more naturally dynamic speakers, but that’s not the only way to inspire and be successful in front of a group, especially a group you have to talk to like this pretty much every day.

There are definitely issues we need to see fixed with this program this year, but I’m going with the words of Coach Norman Dale from Hoosiers: “I would hope you will support who we are, not who we are not.”

Go Buffs!!

Your going to unbelievably pissed when we win four games, were you lose your bet and we don’t go bowling.
Purgatory.
I will be happy if the Buffs exceed my expectations, but if they don't, I'm fine making a buck.

I used to never bet on the Buffs for the very reason you describe. I've changed my mind the past few years. Why not profit in misery?

Man I love your posts. I am not being snarky when I say that, but Wells had 5.5 of the 13 sacks CU managed to corral last year. I get he isn't the second coming of Lawrence Taylor, but he was the only guy who got to the QB more than once every six games. BTW, that guy, the next best who averaged a sack every six games is gone too. Mustafa Johnson was the second best in the sack category, racking up two, count 'em, sacks.

So, when you downplay the loss of the anemic pass rush as no biggie, I wonder who you think is going to do better. Couple that with a back seven that lost practically every pass defender of note, I am deeply concerned. At least the first game is against an Air Raid squad, so CU definitely has the advantage there.:rolleyes:
Other than Gonzales, I don’t think we lost a ton. I think Blackmon and Perry were average

Other than Gonzales, I don’t think we lost a ton. I think Blackmon and Perry were average
You can't replace the experience and depth they provided. We are talking about 3 starters CU lost who would have started again this year (maybe not Perry). CU was gutted in the secondary and the depth will show up at some point in the season and I have a feeling it won't be pretty.

You can't replace the experience and depth they provided. We are talking about 3 starters CU lost who would have started again this year (maybe not Perry). CU was gutted in the secondary and the depth will show up at some point in the season and I have a feeling it won't be pretty.
I’m not sure Blackmon or Perry would start this year, but I agree with your depth argument

Back