What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023-24 MBB Season Thread

Or just maybe it's a dead defense that teams only employ when they are severely outgunned and have little hope. And only then in very rare cases. Athletes are too good at the high levels these days.

The zone defense was put on life support in the early 00's.
That's why it stopped the best team in the league?

Got it.

Last time I checked, we were "outgunned" vs AZ, and still will be at home.

That's why it stopped the best team in the league?

Got it.

Last time I checked, we were "outgunned" vs AZ, and still will be at home.
What is your barometer for success for this team?

What was it before the season?

What do you think their record should be right now?

What record would make you happy?

What attainable coaches do you think would have coached this Colorado team to a better record?

Do you think the injuries played any role in our record this year?

What is your barometer for success for this team?

What was it before the season?

What do you think their record should be right now?

What record would make you happy?

What attainable coaches do you think would have coached this Colorado team to a better record?

Do you think the injuries played any role in our record this year?
I was told pre-season that this was a sweet 16 team, minimum. Personally, I'd take a guaranteed tournament team, with at least a 1 win minimum.

Their record should be 2 games better, minimum. We had no business losing to Cal, shouldn't have lost to Fl St, and probably shouldn't have lost to ASU, even with the injury situation.

I've never asked for a replacement - I've asked for the existing coaches to recognize their limitations, and possibly do something about them.

Injuries play a part in every team, but for "Tads greatest, deepest team" we probably shouldn't be losing to Cal. Or Fl St, when we were at full strength.

I was told pre-season that this was a sweet 16 team, minimum. Personally, I'd take a guaranteed tournament team, with at least a 1 win minimum.

Their record should be 2 games better, minimum. We had no business losing to Cal, shouldn't have lost to Fl St, and probably shouldn't have lost to ASU, even with the injury situation.

I've never asked for a replacement - I've asked for the existing coaches to recognize their limitations, and possibly do something about them.

Injuries play a part in every team, but for "Tads greatest, deepest team" we probably shouldn't be losing to Cal. Or Fl St, when we were at full strength.
Appreciate the response! A few thoughts:

If anyone’s preseason expectation was sweet 16 or bust before the year we haven’t done that since 1969 that shouldn’t ever be a baseline expectation. I can understand with the talent 20+ wins and hoping for a tourney bid. Sweet 16 is great to have as a goal for the program but to be pissed if we don’t get there is futile.

When it comes to March madness there are so many uncontrollables, Kentucky for example hasn’t been to the sweet 16 since 2019. Purdue last year, Virginia has had early exits, etc. for Colorado we aren’t at a point we can judge our season by post season results. Only select few blue bloods can.

Also regarding expectations, USC, UCLA, and Arizona were all expected to finish ahead of us in preseason rankings. We are above all 3 in conference standings. Expectations aren’t reality.

Injuries: while yes every team deals with them, how many teams this year have had 2 players in their starting 5 play every game of the year. Including missing 2 of their top 3 for an extended period. USC has been the only comparable team in the pac from an injuries perspective and I guarantee you they are blaming that on their season. To be 15-5 with those injuries is a testament to our depth.

Lastly every expectation you’ve set is still attainable for this team. They are in great position. There were 7 teams in the sweet 16 last year with 9 or more losses.

Losses happen in college basketball, bad losses happen to good teams. I posted this elsewhere but 9 of the top 25 teams have equivalent losses to CU at this point.

We have a great team, we are playing great basketball, enjoy the road! We will lose a few more and that’s okay!

Winning on the road is hard

no question winning on the road is hard, but what's the takeaway here?

this season is simply a statistical outlier?
something has changed that makes the AP poll less accurate?
suddenly we have more parity in men's hoops?

no question winning on the road is hard, but what's the takeaway here?

this season is simply a statistical outlier?
something has changed that makes the AP poll less accurate?
suddenly we have more parity in men's hoops?
I think the biggest takeaway is more parity, due to relaxed transfer rules and NIL. Also, the AP poll is not very good, but primarily the first thing.

Parity keeps increasing as the perimeter game has become more important. With the 3pt shot, it has made it so that having what UCLA had with Kareem and Walton isn't insurmountable. I think the Baylor national championship team only had 1 starter over 6'5".

Anyway, basketball has always been about which team makes shots. Now that it's not about having bigs that will post up & shoot over 60% while forcing opponents into lower percentage mid-range shots, we have more parity. And with a little home cooking from refs, a bit more defensive energy from the home crowd, and feeling more comfortable shooting in your own gym... we're seeing more difficulty with winning on the road.

That said, this season is anomalous and we should not be seeing top teams losing over half their road games. I think there might be a scheduling component here, too - for NET, you don't risk away games vs Quad 3 & 4 opponents, so most road games are against good teams.

Last edited:
Parity keeps increasing as the perimeter game has become more important. With the 3pt shot, it has made it so that having what UCLA had with Kareem and Walton isn't insurmountable. I think the Baylor national championship team only had 1 starter over 6'5".

Anyway, basketball has always been about which team makes shots. Now that it's not about having bigs that will post up & shoot over 60% while forcing opponents into lower percentage mid-range shots, we have more parity. And with a little home cooking from refs, a bit more defensive energy from the home crowd, and feeling more comfortable shooting in your own gym... we're seeing more difficulty with winning on the road.

That said, this season is anomalous and we should not be seeing top teams losing over half their road games. I think there might be a scheduling component here, too - for NET, you don't risk away games vs Quad 3 & 4 opponents, so most road games are against good teams.
As you note, it's not a gradual thing, it's a switch that flipped overnight (YoY).

I can't help but note claims of "the weakest draft class in NBA history" coincide with this year and that result. The poll will always have a top-10, regardless of relative quality; but are they all truly top-10 teams?

As you note, it's not a gradual thing, it's a switch that flipped overnight (YoY).

I can't help but note claims of "the weakest draft class in NBA history" coincide with this year and that result. The poll will always have a top-10, regardless of relative quality; but are they all truly top-10 teams?
Also wondering if there’s been a coaching talent drain with Coach K, Roy Williams, Jay Wright.

Like Scheyer has been really good maybe not as dominant, Neptune is really struggling replacing Wright. But a lot of the historical blue bloods haven’t been dominant.

Conference expansion I’m sure isn’t
helping either. Like the Big 12 having Houston, BYU, and Cincy, that conference has juggernauts top down all three of those have great home court advantages.

What's up with no game time for the Arizona game?

I accustomed to that in football, but I'm also used to seeing tip times set for hoops during pre-season

I think a lot of the parity in both basketball and football this year has to do with the synergy of the extra year of COVID eligibility and the expanded transfer portal. There's more experienced and established performers available, and they all can go to where they can get minutes.

I'd love to see numbers on the average age of guys playing right now.

I think a lot of the parity in both basketball and football this year has to do with the synergy of the extra year of COVID eligibility and the expanded transfer portal. There's more experienced and established performers available, and they all can go to where they can get minutes.

I'd love to see numbers on the average age of guys playing right now.
Per kenpom, average D-1 experience is 1.82 years this season.

Last year, that was 1.91, which seems to be the height of the covid holdover period.

The last pre-covid year, the average was 1.52. Around 1.5 seems to be the pre-covid historical norm for the one-and-done era.

I appreciate the later starts - traffic from Aurora SUCKS BALLS at 5PM
dude, I respected your dedication as a fan based on how many games you made it to. Learning you're in Aurora and still make virtually all the games... that's really impressive.

Since I'm seriously bored, I thought about starting a new thread about absolutely nothing...a bit like our bball team, or more the worries about it. We'll make it to the dance, and will most likely suprise all naysayers...as the team will jell (spelling) at the perfect moment and we'll have no injuries (bar bench dudes). We may not be the cinderella, but end up with the no 1 draft pick, first time in CU men's bball history. I'm feelin' gooooood.

The 4 minute commute to work is amazing tho
I bought a storefront, across the street from the courthouse. Lived in the basement a couple of years- no money, then bought the house nextdoor. My house and office shared a property line, and my workplace was 30 seconds away. Usually zero commute time each day.

Anybody happen to see the nub game last night? Fvcking Wisconsin was up by 19, blew it, and ended up losing in OT. I know it was in Lincoln but still.

A low value post.

I've had to wear uniforms, and understand the values they can help instill - discipline, being part of a team, pride, etc.
So, I can't watch a Buff game, without wearing some CU gear.
So, it annoys me that Tad often doesn't. Last 2 games a clunky looking gray jacket and 2 different paisley ties.
He's the leader, he should be proudly wearing the colors.

A low value post.

I've had to wear uniforms, and understand the values they can help instill - discipline, being part of a team, pride, etc.
So, I can't watch a Buff game, without wearing some CU gear.
So, it annoys me that Tad often doesn't. Last 2 games a clunky looking gray jacket and 2 different paisley ties.
He's the leader, he should be proudly wearing the colors.
Season 4 Jasper GIF by The Simpsons

Back