What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023 Fall Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

One of the only disappointments for me in the spring game was the lack of TE usage. Just feels like one of those major pressure points on a defense that we need to be able to attack to truly unlock any offense.

I’m a huge homer so I’m not going to say what I think Harrison could be, because at the end of the day, he’s a walk-on, converted WR. But as we’ve seen over the years, star players in key spots can make everyone’s job easier. And the catch and run at 5m:30s is exactly what we need a TE to be able to do. Between Weaver, Hunter, Horn Jr., Antonio, our running game, and the system, a guy like Harrison is going to be able to slip through the cracks a LOT like that.

How did Lewis use TE at Kent State?

Why does Shedeur have a white stripe on his helmet?
music video GIF

One of the only disappointments for me in the spring game was the lack of TE usage. Just feels like one of those major pressure points on a defense that we need to be able to attack to truly unlock any offense.

I’m a huge homer so I’m not going to say what I think Harrison could be, because at the end of the day, he’s a walk-on, converted WR. But as we’ve seen over the years, star players in key spots can make everyone’s job easier. And the catch and run at 5m:30s is exactly what we need a TE to be able to do. Between Weaver, Hunter, Horn Jr., Antonio, our running game, and the system, a guy like Harrison is going to be able to slip through the cracks a LOT like that.

That looked like zero coverage with Cam probably having responsibility for TE, but slipping as he was coming up to make a play.

Harrison is definitely bigger than I initially thought and is obviously reasonably athletic for a TE. Hopefully he keeps developing and can be a matchup issue in the middle.

Yep! He kinda flashes some Dalton Kincade. That's exceptional praise but flashes. Until he can do this in games, it's just highlights from fall camp. He's not a reliable player till he's a reliable player but he's had a great spring at WR and summer and fall at TE so far.

Honestly, Louis Passarello was TE1 in the Spring. They just didn't have many guys. Yelverton wasn't 100% yet. Seydou didn’t fit the blocking scheme. It was rough for the TEs in the spring. Every offense position group struggled. RB was just Hank and Charlie. WR depth was weak. TE was weak. OL was the most promising and they needed depth badly.

Then again, Harrison was WR4 in the spring and Mathis was WR5. It was just a massively different team.

Sorta interesting as he was a TE in college

That's indeed funny.

I'm guessing that long play action passes to Hunter could be the norm as it would keep defenses honest with defending the CU running game. You got the other WRs who could be good along with a QB who put up good numbers at the FCS level. Shedeur had nearly 80 TDs passing & rushing in two seasons. He threw just 14 picks (8 his first season and 6 last season).

For those with more football acumen than I have:
I know the scrimmage videos are selectively edited. But, after looking at the scrimmage videos, I noticed the following:
1) some plays had Shaduer with plenty of time to throw. Sometimes too long. Yes, a great play was made, but I don't think you can count on that much time in a real game. Am I looking at this right? In fact, some of the highlights had him having plenty of time. Maybe I'm just used to the QB running for his life in recent years.
2) On some of the long throws, the receiver made a great play over the defender. But it seems the throw could/should have been better with better leading of the receiver, hitting him in stride, and not requiring receiver to leap and grab?

The fact that WR5/6/7/8 are (in no specific order) Jalen Ellis from Baylor, Tarvarish Dawson from Auburn, True Freshman Omarion Miller and True Freshman Adam Hopkins is amazing, and that doesn't even include Mathis, Gaines and other True Freshman Isaiah Hardge, Asaad Waseem and Jacob Page, all of whom are probably starting on this squad had they run it back with Dorrell.

I can't believe we ever thought the WR room under Chev was never an issue.

I know the scrimmage videos are selectively edited. But, after looking at the scrimmage videos, I noticed the following:
1) some plays had Shaduer with plenty of time to throw. Sometimes too long. Yes, a great play was made, but I don't think you can count on that much time in a real game. Am I looking at this right? In fact, some of the highlights had him having plenty of time. Maybe I'm just used to the QB running for his life in recent years.
2) On some of the long throws, the receiver made a great play over the defender. But it seems the throw could/should have been better with better leading of the receiver, hitting him in stride, and not requiring receiver to leap and grab?
He has more time than usual but he also knows how to slide out of pocket pressure. The other QBs who played for CU last year struggled at that.

To your first point, it’s hard to know for sure without knowing the situation and context of each individual play. I can think of a few spots where he had a TON of time like you’re referencing, and it looked to me that in those spots, the defense was dropping 8 or so back in zone while only sending the front 2-3. Definitely something he will face throughout the year, especially with how hard we (hopefully) will be to cover in man. Opposing defenses will drop that many in zone to try to confuse him and/or the WRs, force tighter windows in some areas, and keep him from scrambling. They also just do that on 3rd and long from time to time too. I didn’t see him having a ton of time when they sent 4 or more, but he also picked that apart too (although the defense got some good wins in those scenarios too).

As for the throws, it’s just the nature of the sport imo. Even the most accurate QBs don’t make the perfect throw every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back