What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023 Fall Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has more time than usual but he also knows how to slide out of pocket pressure. The other QBs who played for CU last year struggled at that.
i think the whole season is basically going to come down to 2 things:

health and pass protection.

qb knows how to make things happen when things break down, but that isn't a strategy. and, we aren't deep enough yet at a lot of position groups.

this is going to be a lot of fun-- it has been a really long time since we legit could compete week in and week out.

For those with more football acumen than I have:
I know the scrimmage videos are selectively edited. But, after looking at the scrimmage videos, I noticed the following:
1) some plays had Shaduer with plenty of time to throw. Sometimes too long. Yes, a great play was made, but I don't think you can count on that much time in a real game. Am I looking at this right? In fact, some of the highlights had him having plenty of time. Maybe I'm just used to the QB running for his life in recent years.
At this point in camp, coaches are mixing up personnel on both sides of the ball. It's likely that in the clips where SS has all day to throw it, it might be a stacked OL vs a mix and match DL. Could also be against certain situational coverages.
2) On some of the long throws, the receiver made a great play over the defender. But it seems the throw could/should have been better with better leading of the receiver, hitting him in stride, and not requiring receiver to leap and grab?
QBs can't be perfect on every throw. And in shortened clips without context, you don't know if protection broke down, the QB slipped, the WR ran the route slightly wrong, etc. QB is bar none the hardest position to play in any sport. And it's not even close. I wouldn't worry. At least we have receivers that can make the play and a QB that can actually get a ball near a receiver this year. ;)

i think the whole season is basically going to come down to 2 things:

health and pass protection.

qb knows how to make things happen when things break down, but that isn't a strategy. and, we aren't deep enough yet at a lot of position groups.

this is going to be a lot of fun-- it has been a really long time since we legit could compete week in and week out.
I’m somewhat concerned about teams trying to line up and play smash mouth football against us.

DT depth and inexperience issues. Inside backer depth issues.

We are built to defend speed and spread passing offenses. Gonna be interesting if someone goes old school against us.

QB's often through back shoulder throws on purpose, especially if they think they have an advantage in the physical match-up. I see this as intentional, and expect to see a bunch more of it throughout the year.

I’m somewhat concerned about teams trying to line up and play smash mouth football against us.

DT depth and inexperience issues. Inside backer depth issues.

We are built to defend speed and spread passing offenses. Gonna be interesting if someone goes old school against us.
I hope that our offense is so explosive that the game plan against us is that teams try to slow us down with sustained drives. It would mean that everything went right and our offense is humming like Chip era Oregon. And when they have to come out of that to score more effectively, plays into our strengths with our pass rush & secondary.

I definitely think the game plan against us early is going to be smash mouth and physical. The question will be can we get them out of their plan and in reactive mode. Oregon and usc are for sure deeper and more physical on paper as of now. This is going to be fun.

The Athletic just put out their pre-season All American teams, 50 players (including kickers). They have Travis Hunter listed as 2nd team AP (all purpose).

What I found really interesting is that CU will be facing almost no players on this list during the regular season. For supposedly having one of the toughest schedules in the country, the lack of top tier 50 talent on the opposing teams was a bit of an eye opener. Yes, the P12 has some of the best QB's in the country but apparently not the best top overall talent in the country.

Players from the list CU will face in 2023:

1st Team: QB Caleb Williams USC
1st Team: DE Laiatu Latu UCLA
1st Team: K Joshua Karty Stanford

2nd Team: DB Josh Newton TCU

Yep! He kinda flashes some Dalton Kincade. That's exceptional praise but flashes. Until he can do this in games, it's just highlights from fall camp. He's not a reliable player till he's a reliable player but he's had a great spring at WR and summer and fall at TE so far.

Honestly, Louis Passarello was TE1 in the Spring. They just didn't have many guys. Yelverton wasn't 100% yet. Seydou didn’t fit the blocking scheme. It was rough for the TEs in the spring. Every offense position group struggled. RB was just Hank and Charlie. WR depth was weak. TE was weak. OL was the most promising and they needed depth badly.

Then again, Harrison was WR4 in the spring and Mathis was WR5. It was just a massively different team.
Your comparisons should make everyone's head explode...Bowers & Kincade I'd be happy with a tweener.

For those with more football acumen than I have:
I know the scrimmage videos are selectively edited. But, after looking at the scrimmage videos, I noticed the following:
1) some plays had Shaduer with plenty of time to throw. Sometimes too long. Yes, a great play was made, but I don't think you can count on that much time in a real game. Am I looking at this right? In fact, some of the highlights had him having plenty of time. Maybe I'm just used to the QB running for his life in recent years.
2) On some of the long throws, the receiver made a great play over the defender. But it seems the throw could/should have been better with better leading of the receiver, hitting him in stride, and not requiring receiver to leap and grab?
I thought the same thing until I saw the vid of him dropping that beautiful ball in the trash can. I see it this way, he's testing his receivers to see how he can throw to them giving them the best chance to make a catch. If they can high point, adjust their body, timing, create space/out muscle a defender and don't drop.

Lets see... last time I saw Sproles in college, he got peeled off of the grass at Folsom... last time I saw him as a player in Philadelphia (his last NFL game ever), he got peeled up off of the grass with a broken arm. Just sayin....
And in between he stayed healthy long enough to put together the 5th most all purpose yards, ever. This was after a college football HOF career where he had enough longevity to set pretty much every meaningful KSU rushing record. I'm not sure what your point is here?

Peak TO is arguably better than any WR in like 20 years

I was reading his Wiki bio. Insane athlete. Played in the NCAA tournament. Anchored his relay team at the NCAA championships. And this is crazy to me:

Owens did not start on his high school football team until his junior year, when one of his teammates missed a game due to illness.

Your comparisons should make everyone's head explode...Bowers & Kincade I'd be happy with a tweener.
Bowers is an elite once in a generation TE. In no way is he Bowers but he can be CU version of Bowers. Bowers might be a top tier NFL TE right now if he was in the NFL. He's just that good.

Kincade is a similar profile TE like Harrison. Freak athlete. Develop as a WR and was able to mature late and Develop as a TE. That's more of the model Mikey can target. Kincade was also a walk-on like Harrison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back