What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Bowl Games Thread

Agree completely. GT isn't as dedicated to the pure option as vintage OU or CU was in the early days; it's a latter day hybrid version. But imagine what GT could do if they could just uptick their recruiting a notch. I'd give a minor body part to see a true option team win the NC in the 21st century.

With Justin Thomas at QB, you're a seeing a bit of that potential. Before his QB's were decent athletes, but nothing like Tommie Frazier or Hagan were.

Watching Air Force's hurry-up flexbone is a thing of beauty(when it works), and I think with plus athletes that would be a really effective bcs level offense.

With Justin Thomas at QB, you're a seeing a bit of that potential. Before his QB's were decent athletes, but nothing like Tommie Frazier or Hagan were.

Watching Air Force's hurry-up flexbone is a thing of beauty(when it works), and I think with plus athletes that would be a really effective bcs level offense.

Teams have gone so heavily toward trying to defend the spread passing attacks that they have sacrificed tackling and the ability to shed blocks for coverage skills. Lots of teams have LBs who would have been strong safeties 20 years ago. They play DEs who would have been OLBs a few years back.

The triple option takes advantage of those trends. It forces defenders to try to come off a block and make a solo tackle on a ballcarrier with a head of steam.

GT (and the service academies) also takes big advantage of the fact that to block for it you don't have to be 6'5" and 315 lbs. They can recruit OL who are a little bit smaller but who have better mobility and use them effectively.

If someone won a NC with it the copycats would suddenly start going after those same kids and the talent would be spread thinner. Defenses would also adjust in both scheme and personnel and it wouldn't be as big an advantage any more.

Bowl preparation time has usually led to GT struggling in bowl games under Johnson (1-5 before tonight). Very nice season for GT. They always started strong under Johnson and then usually faded off in mid October and limped into bowl games. This year they had their usual October slump (back to back narrow losses to Duke and UNC) but then rebounded and played their best ball of the season to close: Killed Clemson by 22, won @ Georgia, 2 pt loss to FSU in ACCCG and now beat Mississippi State soundly.

Last edited:
Schedule on this very special college football day(times are cst)

Outback Bowl : Auburn vs. Wisconsin11:00 amESPN2 / WatchESPN / espn3 (Skycam)
Cotton Bowl : Baylor vs. Michigan State11:30 amESPN / WatchESPN / espn3 (Skycam)
Citrus Bowl : Minnesota vs. Missouri12:00 pmABC / espn3 (also in Spanish)
Rose Bowl (DI-A Semifinal) : Florida State vs. Oregon4:00 pmESPN / WatchESPN / espn3 (Skycam)
Sugar Bowl (DI-A Semifinal) : Alabama vs. Ohio State7:30 pmESPN / WatchESPN / espn3 (Skycam)

Sorry, but **** GaTech. It's really not their fault that the coaches ****ed us in 90, but they were the ones that benefited.

I'm glad an SEC West team lost, but still. **** GaTech.

Sorry, but **** GaTech. It's really not their fault that the coaches ****ed us in 90, but they were the ones that benefited.

I'm glad an SEC West team lost, but still. **** GaTech.

After watching the O Bowl, I cannot help but wonder what would have happened if CU hired Johnson instead of the Boise nepotism brigade.

This is why Herb had to move out of Columbus. Every time he doesn't fellate Ohio State, he gets hammered for it.

[tweet]550706854200766464[/tweet]

Schedule on this very special college football day(times are cst)
I'm likely stuck at a Vet's office all day. Anyone have an (ahem) alternative way of watching the game? PMs only are appreciated, D3H, please DO NOT send pix of your "link" again.

After seeing Mississippi, Mississippi State and LSU look like complete and total **** on defense in their bowl games - have to wonder about Alabama's defense. Wouldn't surprise me to see Ohio State take it to them today.

I wasn't sure this was possible, but somehow, Matt Millen is as bad at announcing as he was at being a GM

I'm torn between **** Bama and hoping that tOSU gets crushed and the committee looks like assholes for screwing TCU.

I think Oregon comfortably beats FSU. I expect Bama and tOSU to be a great game.

I'm hoping for Oregon to roll, but I think if FSU decides to play hard, I feel like they could shut Oregon down. It's just great that we get these games today, can't wait.

I think Oregon comfortably beats FSU. I expect Bama and tOSU to be a great game.
These injures are going to slow Oregon down a bit. I do think FSU has been playing a lie all season. The crap they have been pulling to win games won't fly against Oregon. They will make you pay. I really hope Oregon slaughters FSU but think it will be close in the end.

Back