What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official ****braska Hate Thread

Could you please cite your sources in this? I'm only finding contradictory information. This source from the NCAA seems relevant.

View attachment 46033
schools cannot get involved; athletes must play to participate; and they cannot promote alcohol, legal drugs, tobacco products, adult entertainment, or gambling.

Not my only source, just the one I could find the quickest…but says the same thing I have read in many articles about (lots of which are posted somewhere in AllBuffs)

schools cannot get involved; athletes must play to participate; and they cannot promote alcohol, legal drugs, tobacco products, adult entertainment, or gambling.

Not my only source, just the one I could find the quickest…but says the same thing I have read in many articles about (lots of which are posted somewhere in AllBuffs)
Thanks.

The NCAAs site explicitly lists ways that schools can get involved, and the SCOTUS ruling seems silent in the matter.

I'd be interested in your other sources. For now, I'm inclined to put more credence in the NCAAs FAQ Page than on the NY Post regarding this subject.

Thanks.

The NCAAs site explicitly lists ways that schools can get involved, and the SCOTUS ruling seems silent in the matter.

I'd be interested in your other sources. For now, I'm inclined to put more credence in the NCAAs FAQ Page than on the NY Post regarding this subject.
Touché

Everything about the closeness and hands on approach by BYU on this deal seems so so wrong. The school, AD, Head Coach should not be able to be involved, comment on, or do anything more than maintain arms length observation?

I live in Nebraska, and just realized that the Garth Brooks concert was held inside of the Cold War era prison-chic confines of memorial stadium.

1.) I wonder what the B1G’s COVID policy is for this season? I’m sure there is a good percentage of season ticket holders in attendance of last night’s show. So, how much will bleed into players and staff in the coming days and weeks.

2.) Much of Nebraska is pretty stuck in the thought that COVID went away…so, let the spread commence. Many of the photos of concert goers were not wearing masks during pre-show and post-show fun, so I’m guessing that the concert was much the same.

There is no place like Nebraska! Honestly, it’s not for everyone.

I live in ****braska, and just realized that the Garth Brooks concert was held inside of the Cold War era prison-chic confines of memorial stadium.

1.) I wonder what the B1G’s COVID policy is for this season? I’m sure there is a good percentage of season ticket holders in attendance of last night’s show. So, how much will bleed into players and staff in the coming days and weeks.

2.) Much of ****braska is pretty stuck in the thought that COVID went away…so, let the spread commence. Many of the photos of concert goers were not wearing masks during pre-show and post-show fun, so I’m guessing that the concert was much the same.

There is no place like ****braska! Honestly, it’s not for everyone.
Memorial Stadium is an outdoor venue. I honestly don't see how this a BFD. Outdoor concerts are happening all over the country without notable incident.

Again, once the NIL sponsors start getting involved incognito at the pre-LOI stage, the upper levels of P5 just become a blatant slush fund war for the elite players.

The unintended consequences are as limitless as your imagination. 1. Guy entering the transfer portal because the NIL offer from school #2 is $75K more than current school? Check. 2. Guy suing his previous school for damages after he transfers down to a lower classification school after being benched and losing his NIL money. Check. Etc, etc….

IMO some of the same fans who were advocates of paying players in some form are also fans who complain about the top recruits signing with the same top 5 or so programs every year. I don’t see how NIL doesn’t put that trend on steroids. The devil’s always in the details with this kind of stuff. And before anyone suggests a cap on annual NIL income for an individual player, I’d suggest that would last about 15 minutes in a court of law. SCOTUS really did create a Wild West situation here.
And while you can be happy for the kid who’s pulling in 20K/yr shilling for a few local businesses, the overall outcome in a couple of years could be a scandal might hurt college football in the eyes of the general public.

Pretty sure no one is going to get any judge to take a case for damages when the player was benched and then personally decided to transfer to a lower class school. Especially when the NIL deals are with an external organization and not the school.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Pretty sure no one is going to get any judge to take a case for damages when the player was benched and then personally decided to transfer to a lower class school. Especially when the NIL deals are with an external organization and not the school.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN
Anyone can throw a claim against the wall and see if it sticks. The benching was “arbitary and unfair” and caused damages by the loss of the third party compensation. May not be a great case but the school would still be dragged into it regardless.

One grotesque example then I’ll get off this soapbox: Moderately recruited 3 star WR signs with CU, has a breakout Fr season and before Soph year signs FIL deals totaling 15K with Pasta Jays, McGuckin, and Dark Horse. Has massive soph year and after some national notice transfers to Arkansas, who’s in the middle of a .400 season and going nowhere. “What gives?!” cry Buff fans. Three weeks after enrolling at Fayetteville, Tyson Foods rolls out its 100K deal with the guy.

I’m not trying to be Chicken Little here, just an observation to the “pay the players” proponents here to be careful what you wished for. The CU program is unfortunately not going to win a lot of high level bidding wars in an FIL world….

I was thinking about something. Fear of needles shouldn't be a factor in Nebraska's low Covid vaccination rates.

After all just about anyone who has slept with a Nebraska co-ed or a girl who has slept with a guy who slept with a Nebraska co-ed should be used to getting anti-biotic injections.

One grotesque example then I’ll get off this soapbox: Moderately recruited 3 star WR signs with CU, has a breakout Fr season and before Soph year signs FIL deals totaling 15K with Pasta Jays, McGuckin, and Dark Horse. Has massive soph year and after some national notice transfers to Arkansas, who’s in the middle of a .400 season and going nowhere. “What gives?!” cry Buff fans. Three weeks after enrolling at Fayetteville, Tyson Foods rolls out its 100K deal with the guy.

I’m not trying to be Chicken Little here, just an observation to the “pay the players” proponents here to be careful what you wished for. The CU program is unfortunately not going to win a lot of high level bidding wars in an FIL world….
Animal shelters and Subaru dealerships aren’t going to do many NIL deals with CU players.

I am sure a board member of the publicly traded Tyson Food’s Inc would take exception to the company paying a collegiate athlete 100k to sit out as a transfer for an entire year and then pay another 200k for two more years when they have over 150,000 employees who make significantly less are real assets to the business.

I don’t know the details but I would venture to say LLCs, legitimate or fake, will be the primary players. One question I do have is who withholds the taxes of these deals?

I am sure a board member of the publicly traded Tyson Food’s Inc would take exception to the company paying a collegiate athlete 100k to sit out as a transfer for an entire year and then pay another 200k for two more years when they have over 150,000 employees who make significantly less are real assets to the business.

I don’t know the details but I would venture to say LLCs, legitimate or fake, will be the primary players. One question I do have is who withholds the taxes of these deals?
The athletes are independent contractors. They’d be responsible for paying the taxes themselves. There is no withholding.

That won’t end well, now there will be an entourage of money manages and agents taking advantage of these players.
Supposedly part of the NIL each program has some type of tax leadership that is teaching athletes how to handle this. Obviously, some athletes and Schools don't care enough so there will be some who get in trouble, or use what you are suggesting and abuse the system.

Big surprise coming in April for a lot of these athletes.

I know people that have run LLCs for 10 years and they still get surprised in April because they can't (or won't) do simple math throughout the year.

Back