What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official ****braska Hate Thread

The unexpected “5th down” comment from a random stranger comes with the territory, but not as much as it used to. Nowadays the convo is more likely to gravitate towards legal weed.
I chuckle because there is a vehicle with a Mizzou sticker and 5THDOWN as the license plates in my neck of the woods. It usually has a Domino's light on top of it...I am dead serious. If I can get a pic, I will.

Worst internet fans in college football:
Every week when I release the Bottom 25, I catch flak from fans, either in my inbox or more often in my Twitter mentions. It's part of the territory when it comes to ranking the worst teams in the country. The majority of the vitriol comes from those who are new to the Bottom 25 and don't know how it works. They believe these rankings are based on my opinion and not on a statistical formula that measures teams by how they've played in the current season to that point in time.
Since it happens so often, it's easy to ignore, but once in a while, the anger burns so hot that I can't help but pay attention to it. Last week was one of those weeks. Suffice to say that Nebraska fans were not pleased with discovering their Cornhuskers ranked at No. 19 in last week's Bottom 25, and they let me hear about it. A lot of them. Hell, some even wrote about it (I'm still not sure what I wrote about Nebraska that deserved a "sigh" in response, but at least they didn't call me any names).

Every time I checked Twitter, there was somebody with a Nebraska logo as their avatar, or "Big Red" in their handle calling me some variety of an idiot with plenty of colorful variations. Then Nebraska lost to Troy on Saturday, and I haven't heard much of anything since. Now, I'm a college football fan, and when I watch games, I'm not rooting for anybody as much as I'm rooting for the entertainment and a good story. But I won't lie to you. When Nebraska lost to Troy on Saturday, I didn't feel bad for it.
I hope it wins this week, just like I hope every team wins, but last week I was all right with its loss
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ka-fsu-arkansas-among-seven-power-five-teams/

I chuckle because there is a vehicle with a Mizzou sticker and 5THDOWN as the license plates in my neck of the woods. It usually has a Domino's light on top of it...I am dead serious. If I can get a pic, I will.

From Columbia:
560afcbb1e4d7.image.jpg

The unexpected “5th down” comment from a random stranger comes with the territory, but not as much as it used to. Nowadays the convo is more likely to gravitate towards legal weed.
The very first time I met one of my neighbors, here's how she introduced herself:

"Hi, I'm - - - I live across the street. I saw your license plates - it'll be good to have another Big 8 fan in the neighborhood. I went to Missouri; I was at the 5th down game, it was my senior year."

I'm pretty sure there's a rule for Mizzou alumni that they have to bring up the 5th down within 30 seconds of meeting a CU alumni or they revoke their degree.

The very first time I met one of my neighbors, here's how she introduced herself:

"Hi, I'm - - - I live across the street. I saw your license plates - it'll be good to have another Big 8 fan in the neighborhood. I went to Missouri; I was at the 5th down game, it was my senior year."

I'm pretty sure there's a rule for Mizzou alumni that they have to bring up the 5th down within 30 seconds of meeting a CU alumni or they revoke their degree.

The appropriate response: Our 1990 team would have beaten Missouri by 4 touchdowns had it been played on adequate turf. I don't have a problem with playing them or any other former conference mate though.

Scott Frost presser quote of the week:
Reporter: "Coach, what are you going to work on this week in practice?"
Frost: "Football."

RE: 5th Down
Always pisses me off that everyone thought Missouri was some great team that year that got royally screwed out of something like the Big 8 and then the natty.. If I remember right, they were just their normal 4-5 middling selves and were going nowhere fast in the world of college football at that time.

Always pisses me off that everyone thought Missouri was some great team that year that got royally screwed out of something like the Big 8 and then the natty.. If I remember right, they were just their normal 4-5 middling selves and were going nowhere fast in the world of college football at that time.
The thing about it is that it's not like the Buffs did anything with the extra down. Just spiked the ball and then got lined up to run a basic dive play. If the CU coaches had been wrong about the refs being mixed up, the story of that game would be that CU ****ed itself out of a potential national championship by spiking a ball on 4th down.

Another message on a Husker message board to get your blood boiling:

"As we did in 1991 with Miami and Washington. I remember the debates in 1990 and 1991 about who was the true championship and I thought it was pretty simple. Look at the games against us.

IMO, 1990's national champion was GT. In 1990- we out played CU for 3 quarters and GT smacked us around the whole game. We were down to our 3rd string QB against GT but I don't think that mattered much. Joesph and Grant were both glorified RBs.

Ditto for 1991 - we out played U-Dub for 3 quarters but never had a shot against the U. Miami was clearly the better team."

Don't let any 5th down references in this thread distract from the fact that that Fusker fans think the NC should be awarded based on who played better against them.

99.997% of those that make a comment on the 5th down game have never seen any part of the game but those 5 downs. The other percentage are Missouri players and fans that forgot what they saw that day leading up to that point.

The thing about it is that it's not like the Buffs did anything with the extra down. Just spiked the ball and then got lined up to run a basic dive play. If the CU coaches had been wrong about the refs being mixed up, the story of that game would be that CU ****ed itself out of a potential national championship by spiking a ball on 4th down.
This is exactly it. Every time it's brought up, I go down by down and explain that CU didn't really need it. More than anything they can complain the ball never got in the end zone.

I saw a guy yesterday wearing a Nebraska hat. I thought that’s either very brave or kinda stupid. I mean, if I was a Nebraska fan right now, I wouldn’t want anybody to know it. I’d be packing up my fusker gear in a box, pitting it in the attic, and hoping for better days to come. Basically, like what I actually did after we lost at home to Sacramento State.
He's already focused on next year.

When the game is structured around 4 downs and you get 5 and still can't win....... I do chuckle. It's a great name for a bar Ina town where the play will live on forever. I'd have a drink with the same name to.

What does this even mean?
It means I want to get a Tshirt with their logo before my trip to Boulder next year. The win part was a little misspoken, half a championship. not an outright win of a championship, it was vague. Go by what I mean not what I say.:confused:

99.997% of those that make a comment on the 5th down game have never seen any part of the game but those 5 downs. The other percentage are Missouri players and fans that forgot what they saw that day leading up to that point.
The hypocrisy of the MU faithful is priceless. Unless they play under different football rules in MO than the rest of the country, when a defense has held an opponent scoreless or without a first down conversion, they take over the ball. If MU truly thought they had held CU to a no-score, no 1st down position, why didn't they send their offense onto the field right after the spike? Because THEY TOO THOUGHT THE SPIKE WAS 3RD AND NOT 4TH DOWN. MU's defense lined up for another play just like CU did on the 5th down. That alone makes the whole bitchin on MU's part farcical.

Back