What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Construction Update Thread

Most recent Design Review Board meeting minutes

12:00 – 1:45 Athletics Complex Indoor Practice Facility (IPF) Design DevelopmentPresenter(s): Populous; Michael Ray, Jeremy Krug
Description: Design development approval for the Indoor Practice Facility.
Design Review Board Approval Updates:
Grounds: Partial DD approved (north of IPF)
NE Corner Building: DD approved with conditions / resolved some conditions
IPF: DD requested and SD approved with conditions
Team requests a meeting for formal IPF submission with NE Corner building updates.
DRB and team agreed on Tuesday Sept. 30, 2014 at 9 a.m.
Comments prior to presentation.
Don Brandes noted the following site development items:
• The CU staff and consultant team have been making great progress in assembling a
comprehensive DD/site development package. It is premature to request final review of the site
development package until the final grading, drainage, landscape, utility and building
access/egress related issues have been resolved.
• To date, there is only a small section of the pedestrian walk that has been identified not-in-contract
(NIC). It will be important to have a complete set of site improvements that reflect base-bid and
funded site improvements.
• The DD site improvement package should clearly illustrate all project area improvements from the
edge of Boulder Creek to the north, to Colorado Avenue to the south, and to Folsom St. to the
east.
IPF Design Summary by Michael Ray
• Taking a step back, looking at the most appropriate building for the site.
◦ Went back to the diagrammatic sweet spot in May
• Building was doing too much. The goal in terms of the DRB was to simplify.
• Elevation studies led to cleaned up punched window look.
◦ Design is to be masculine• Realized that existing entrances on campus are never really a sandstone arch.
• Since last meeting, have been inspired by ornamental precast concrete arches.
• North Elevation –
◦ Committed to a clear, glazed system on upper portion of window.
• Since it is the north side, direct light may never hit the field.
◦ Translucent, diffused glazed system on the lower portion of window.
◦ Realizing now that the grade change to Boulder Creek combined with trees will screen the
bottom portion of the building from nearly all perspectives.
• South Elevation -
◦ All glazed translucent Kalwall.
• Trying to facilitate North/South ventilation.
• East – West Elevations -
◦ Sandstone pushed to the corners and wrap around to N/S elevations.
◦ Precast mass along center elevation.
◦ Letting wall lines become big swaths.
Design Review Board Comments and Clarifications
Rick Epstein commented that the east elevation needs more than four windows. Suggested additional
empty bay or windows that gang-up. Suggested nine bays that are all the same. The north elevation arch
option 2 seems integrated and simpler. Asked if the arch and the glass join and if the glass is segmented.
The Kalwall team is working on this. Asked if the northeast stairwell was needed. Yes, it goes down to the
garage.
Victor Olgyay noted that a suggestion at the last review was a diffuser under the skylight. This lights the
ceiling, distributes light more evenly, and would be better for the athletes. It is an opportunity for windows
and façade to improve the function inside for football practice.
• Team is looking at cheaper, clear glass with savings going into a diffuser.
• Garage bays can accommodate portable bleachers, similar to the University of Washington – they
can strategically scatter them. Trucks arrive and deliver at the northwest corner bay. The real issue
isn't visitors but athletes waiting between events with nowhere to wait.
Don Brandes: Requested that Populous compose the final “story” for the IPF building, noting that the special
nature of the building in terms of its location, size, use and architectural expression needs to be further
articulated and explained – especially in terms of its energy, sustainability and its visual prominence within
the campus.
Candy Roberts: Wants architecture to speak to an agreed idea of what a successful building is.
Victor Olgyay asked about the parapet detail and if the skylight is translucent, will it light the wall. He noted
that from a distance the scale will feel appropriate. The arch will be a nice prominent feature.
Candy Roberts: Commended team on a tremendous job

http://www.cu.edu/sites/default/files/September_2014_DRB_Minutes.pdf

There was a meeting on Wednesday but those details are not up yet.

Sounds like the design is about completed and I would imagine that photo above is the most recent rendering. The facility is going to be absolutely massive. Can't wait till it gets built, I have a feeling the thing is going to be a lot more upscale than any of us previously anticipated. It will be a gorgeous addition to Folsom.

http://www.cu.edu/sites/default/files/September_2014_DRB_Minutes.pdf

There was a meeting on Wednesday but those details are not up yet.

Sounds like the design is about completed and I would imagine that photo above is the most recent rendering. The facility is going to be absolutely massive. Can't wait till it gets built, I have a feeling the thing is going to be a lot more upscale than any of us previously anticipated. It will be a gorgeous addition to Folsom.

Which photo?

Which photo?

The one from ryan on the previous page.

BziuglnCIAE7NQ6.jpg:large

The one from ryan on the previous page.

BziuglnCIAE7NQ6.jpg:large
Interesting. For some reason, I thought the IPF was going to be more of an extension of the east side of Folsom. I like this better. Looks like it might be attached (can't tell for sure in this photo) but if it is, it's only a connector.

Interesting. For some reason, I thought the IPF was going to be more of an extension of the east side of Folsom. I like this better. Looks like it might be attached (can't tell for sure in this photo) but if it is, it's only a connector.

I will try to explain what is happening.

Progress 10-10.JPG

Where they are putting in the concrete deck just to the right of the concrete wall is going to be the part of the "Buff Walk" (at least is the same level) that goes over top of the weight room. There will be a long wide path that goes from Colorado all the way past the new IPF and has stairs on the east side that go down to the main entrance level.

Looking at the rendering, you can see an arched doorway at the base of the tallest tower. That is where the stairs end. It looks to be a massive stairway broken up into three staircases. You can see the railings just above the trees, just to the left of the tower.

Then on the right side of the NW complex, you can see a bridge that will connect the new facility to Dal Ward.

Last edited:
Going to be a top 10 facility when it's finished. Get ready to start playing some big time football again.

I will try to explain what is happening.

View attachment 15098

Where they are putting in the concrete deck just to the right of the concrete wall is going to be the part of the "Buff Walk" (at least is the same level) that goes over top of the weight room. There will be a long wide path that goes from Colorado all the way past the new IPF and has stairs on the east side that go down to the main entrance level.

Looking at the rendering, you can see an arched doorway at the base of the tallest tower. That is where the stairs end. It looks to be a massive stairway broken up into three staircases. You can see the railings just above the trees, just to the left of the tower.

Then on the right side of the NW complex, you can see a bridge that will connect the new facility to Dal Ward.

Just to add on, there is also a plan to extend the Buff walk to a large bridge that will cross Boulder Creek, allowing fans to park in the parking lots next to the current practice fields and cross the creek to the stadium instead of walking up Folsom.

Just to add on, there is also a plan to extend the Buff walk to a large bridge that will cross Boulder Creek, allowing fans to park in the parking lots next to the current practice fields and cross the creek to the stadium instead of walking up Folsom.

badass, that will look cool.

isn't there already a bridges that goes from the parking lot to the practice field?

isn't there already a bridges that goes from the parking lot to the practice field?

There is an asphalt walkway that goes down from Dal Ward to a small bridge that crosses the creek to the parking lots. As far as I know they are planning on removing the walkway and bridge and building this new bridge farther east (to line up with the Buff walk) and the bridge will be much more impressive than the current one.

The idea is that the North Campus area will be expanded and this new bridge will be the main access point for students/athletes/employees between North Campus and Main Campus

They gave the go ahead to start design development. So, they've only just finished the schematic design. So, even though they are fast tracking, they have a lot of work to do on, at least, the ground up work.

BTW, they talk a lot about a translucent "Kalwall" system. This link has some info on it. http://www.kalwall.com

Something they mentioned interested me. They mention storing portable bleachers in the garage. For "an event" they'd truck them to the northwest bay and install them from there. They mention athletes having to wait during installation and removal between events. I assume they are talking about transitioning from, say, a track meet to, maybe, lacrosse or soccer?

They gave the go ahead to start design development. So, they've only just finished the schematic design. So, even though they are fast tracking, they have a lot of work to do on, at least, the ground up work.

BTW, they talk a lot about a translucent "Kalwall" system. This link has some info on it. http://www.kalwall.com

Something they mentioned interested me. They mention storing portable bleachers in the garage. For "an event" they'd truck them to the northwest bay and install them from there. They mention athletes having to wait during installation and removal between events. I assume they are talking about transitioning from, say, a track meet to, maybe, lacrosse or soccer?

Probably a concert, which would need bleachers on the field. If they're talking about Folsom Field extra bleachers. If they're talking about bleachers for inside the IPF, they mean setting it up for an indoor T&F event.

I hope they use that Kalwall sparingly. We typically only resort to using it on projects when IGUs (Insulated Glazed Units) have to be value engineered out. It is very cost & energy efficient though. The problem is that the Kalwall tends to yellow over time due to UV exposure.

If the project can afford it, something like this http://www.panelite.us/products/exterior-clearshade-igu/product-options/ is just so much nicer.

I'm sure they are not to the stage where they have to cut a lot of corners and the Kalwall is not something people will encounter close up.

Last edited:
I hope they use that Kalwall sparingly. We typically only resort to using it on projects when IGUs (Insulated Glazed Units) have to be value engineered out. It is very cost & energy efficient though. The problem is that the Kalwall tends to yellow over time due to UV exposure.

If the project can afford it, something like this http://www.panelite.us/products/exterior-clearshade-igu/product-options/ is just so much nicer.

I'm sure they are not to the stage where they have to cut a lot of corners and the Kalwall is not something people will encounter close up.

By the sound of it, the design board is hesitant on the Kalwall too. I think it is going to go on the roof and the east? elevation. So it will get direct UV exposure during the morning, but now while the sun is at highest intensity. Should be ok. But I would rather them go with a panelite system or just sack up and use glass.

By the sound of it, the design board is hesitant on the Kalwall too. I think it is going to go on the roof and the east? elevation. So it will get direct UV exposure during the morning, but now while the sun is at highest intensity. Should be ok. But I would rather them go with a panelite system or just sack up and use glass.
Just put up venetian blinds! You know what would be cool....and really expensive? Smart glass or eglass, or whatever they call it.

8de658e118078c9954a4bf793653161d.jpg

That party deck will be sweet, if they make it as profitable as the Jags.....cash flow.

The potential for that area is off the charts. It could be unique in all of college sports. They NEED to make sure they build that connection bridge to the club level on the East side of the stadium, though. That will be absolutely critical, IMO. I've heard that's an element that could get value engineered out of the design if they can't come up with the necessary funds. It's too important to leave out.
While we're at it, they really should have a separate bridge from the existing concourse into the new facility as well. Something that connects right into the stadium itself where people can easily access the new facility from the stadium.

Come visit Egg in Champions Club. BEER! ...... :popcorn: :cry::wtf::congrats::bang::pissed2::plot::perfect10::bounce::tini::asskicking::cheers::yell::keule::bowdown::afraid:

:hmmm:

moved/upgraded my seats for the rest of this season to the new section just so I can be on the priority list for when the rest of the section is done next year.

Really, really, really, REALLY wish they'd move the "in stadium" cam over the construction area at the northeast end. :sad2:

The potential for that area is off the charts. It could be unique in all of college sports. They NEED to make sure they build that connection bridge to the club level on the East side of the stadium, though. That will be absolutely critical, IMO. I've heard that's an element that could get value engineered out of the design if they can't come up with the necessary funds. It's too important to leave out.
While we're at it, they really should have a separate bridge from the existing concourse into the new facility as well. Something that connects right into the stadium itself where people can easily access the new facility from the stadium.

Sacky, I haven't seen that bridge you are talking about on any drawing, rendering, or concept art. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Back