What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

interesting. Scott Frost. What are your thoughts there? I’ve read that Huskers felt he didn’t develop players. But he could be an interesting choice?
Scott Frost took a dumpster fire UCF team and turned them into an elite team. A lot of luck there for sure.

But more than anything, the idea of Scott Frost coming to Boulder and succeeding after killing Nebraska's program makes me aroused.

I'm a hard no on Frost. I hated (loved?) His leadership in Lincoln. Total lack of accountability.
I am pretty sure he started smelling his own success after his UCF job. He seemed extremely arrogant during his time at that Red University and I am so glad that we beat him twice when he was the HC.

He did a phenomenal job at UCF and completely lost that work ethic. I can speculate all I want about what was going through his mind, but we will never know why he failed. I think he just thought that he didn't need to work hard because he reached his pinnacle coaching job.

He can't come here. He just showed his true colors by not working as if he was still at UCF.

The list should be:

Tom Herman
Scott Frost
Dan Mullen
Bronco Mendenhall
Cryst
Petrino

That's it. No Rick George buddies from the 90's. That's the list.
You must be a Nub troll trying to offset the buyout for Frost. Why the F would CU hire a guy that was absolutely poo at NU. He sucked on the sidelines during games making dumb decision after another, and could not develop players. If we wanted to deal with all that crap we would have just keep KD.

Each coaching search since 2012, we talk about what programs we try to emulate. We can’t be XYZ because whatever. We should be more like…Wisconsin.

The guy who’s been coaching Wisconsin for almost a decade is literally available today.
.656 career winning percentage.
Knows what it takes to succeed as a nonblueblood. Has a system/formula that works in a cold weather school outside of recruiting hotbed.
Why is he not at least in our top 3?

Each coaching search since 2012, we talk about what programs we try to emulate. We can’t be XYZ because whatever. We should be more like…Wisconsin.

The guy who’s been coaching Wisconsin for almost a decade is literally available today.
.656 career winning percentage.
Knows what it takes to succeed as a nonblueblood. Has a system/formula that works in a cold weather school outside of recruiting hotbed.
Why is he not at least in our top 3?
Would Chryst be able to replicate Wisconsin here? He also really under performed expectations there and Pitt. I would be onboard but cautiously optimistic. We could certainly do worse I suppose

I am going to maintain my position that there’s no way they are ready to pay out around $12-$13m to make this staff go away is they aren’t prepared to make changes and set the next coach up for success.
You can maintain that opinion all you like. If history is a guide, they will come to the conclusion that they simply hired the wrong HC and continue to go about their business as they always have.

Scott Frost took a dumpster fire UCF team and turned them into an elite team. A lot of luck there for sure.

But more than anything, the idea of Scott Frost coming to Boulder and succeeding after killing Nebraska's program makes me aroused.
Go Away GIF

I have a question for some of you that know NCAA rules better than I. Assuming RG targets a HC that isn't currently coaching (Herman) and assuming that coach is interested in CU and assuming the coach and RG can come to an agreement on numbers, is there any reason why RG couldn't announce right away that XYZ is our new HC effective Dec 1st. Would that allow the new HC to get a head start on recruiting, transfer portal, etc? Or is there some rule preventing that?

Although, as I think about it now, it may take 8 weeks to identify/negotiate/sign a new head coach and then it would be December anyway.

You can maintain that opinion all you like. If history is a guide, they will come to the conclusion that they simply hired the wrong HC and continue to go about their business as they always have.
Different era with a ton of things happening that have never needed to be accounted for in prior coaching changes (transfer portal, NIL, Conference consolidation, etc). It’s also the biggest contract and buyout in program history at a time where the AD is possibly the most cash strapped in recent history. New president, chancellor nearing retirement, etc.

There are a lot of reasons why recent history shouldn’t be used as a guide

I have a question for some of you that know NCAA rules better than I. Assuming RG targets a HC that isn't currently coaching (Herman) and assuming that coach is interested in CU and assuming the coach and RG can come to an agreement on numbers, is there any reason why RG couldn't announce right away that XYZ is our new HC effective Dec 1st. Would that allow the new HC to get a head start on recruiting, transfer portal, etc? Or is there some rule preventing that?

Although, as I think about it now, it may take 8 weeks to identify/negotiate/sign a new head coach and then it would be December anyway.
RG could hire a new coach and have him start today. The only restrictions besides CU contract approval are with recruiting and the HC would have to be current on passing some NCAA certification on that.

Different era with a ton of things happening that have never needed to be accounted for in prior coaching changes (transfer portal, NIL, Conference consolidation, etc). It’s also the biggest contract and buyout in program history at a time where the AD is possibly the most cash strapped in recent history. New president, chancellor nearing retirement, etc.

There are a lot of reasons why recent history shouldn’t be used as a guide
Remember who we are dealing with here. You think Phil has a clue about how the dynamics of college football have changed? He was out of his element 20 years ago. He just thinks this is another football coaching search.

Remember who we are dealing with here. You think Phil has a clue about how the dynamics of college football have changed? He was out of his element 20 years ago. He just thinks this is another football coaching search.
Completely agree, and his comments about JUCO when asked about transfers kind of proves it. I think Phil is mostly an empty suit at this point (yes, I think he's been an empty suit for years as well, but I digress) and was just up there as the official leader of the Boulder campus.

I’ve got it! How would you like a coach who:

- Is a young, brilliant offensive mind

- Has head coaching experience and a .750 career winning percentage as a head coach

- Comes from the Shanahan coaching tree and has coached under or with: Mike Shanahan, Gary Kubiak, Kyle Shanahan, Troy Calhoun, Dennis Green, Matt LaFleur, Sean McVay, and Dan Quinn

- Played Ivy League football at Yale.

- Grew up in Aurora Colorado

CU’s next Head Football Coach…Mike McDaniel*

*after the Dolphins fire him for the Tua thing

I also am really impressed by Ryan Walters' defense up in Illinois. Unproven but could be an absolute homerun.
I listened to Mark Johnson on with Kreckman and Lindahl. MJ discussing Walters brought up the point that being HC of a program is about a lot more than X’s and O’s. An effective HC has to have a lot of attributes of an excellent manager. Lots of coaches are great X’s and O’s guys but don’t have the management and political skills needed to be a successful HC.

So the question with a guy like Walters isn’t his coaching ability, it is all of the intangible things.

- Has head coaching experience and a .750 career winning percentage as a head coach

- Comes from the Shanahan coaching tree and has coached under or with: Mike Shanahan, Gary Kubiak, Kyle Shanahan, Troy Calhoun, Dennis Green, Matt LaFleur, Sean McVay, and Dan Quinn

Zero CFB experience, beyond as a player.

You’d be able to hear Linda Shoemakers head explode from Denver

I'm a hard no on Frost. I hated (loved?) His leadership in Lincoln. Total lack of accountability.
Sounds like he was Cutty Sarking it at NU. Delaying/cancelling morning meetings, completely blowing off assistants, and generally not showing up for stuff.

Everything said on reddit is true right?

Last edited:
Back