What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

I'm strangely so beaten down that I'm ok with most names being tossed around.

I really just want someone who can recruit - but even that might be a pipe dream. Second option would be a young, out of the box thinker on offense/defense/program management. The whole world has changed around running a D1 program, and there needs to be someone willing to move at that fast pace (on and off the field)
Its really interesting that you say that.... My father is a Villanova graduate and we have extensive Villanova connections. I know that my example below is about basketball, but it is very applicable here.

Jay Wright stepped down from the Head Coach position at Villanova because he did NOT want to deal with the players that wanted endorsement deals to come play for him. He decided that he could not effectively coach and manage this new world of college athletics, so he resigned.

We are in a whole new world of college sports where you need so much more support to get and keep athletes. CU has to change its vision of what a college football program should be or we are going to be terrible for years.

Mike Sanford goes 6-1 down the stretch, do you support removing the interim tag? Ok, readyyyyy, GO!
Not sure about you all but I’m still recovering from 0-5 and being perhaps the worst team in the country. Liked his energy a lot in the presser. I hope he goes 6-1 and takes us to a bowl game. If he does that, he’ll be a miracle worker

Mike Sanford, Colorado interim head coach: He would need to win a few games down the stretch this season to get serious consideration. In his previous head coaching opportunity, he went 9-16 in two seasons (2017-18) at Western Kentucky. An offensive coordinator at several stops, Sanford has to figure out how to get CU’s offense rolling the rest of this season.

If this were to happen I'd give up and adopt a new school to follow.
Sanford wins 8 games this year and I'm in.

I had this happen when I moved to back to CO after having worked through 42% of my MBA at USC. They were only going to give me credit for my 2 accounting courses. I said no ****ing way and never finished my MBA.

dun dun wow GIF

@mods, please subtract 42% of highlander's rep per the TOS, TIA

Buffs zone list:

Jay Hill, Weber State head coach: A Utah lifer, he may not have interest in CU – and he’s clearly a lower profile name than most on the list – but it’s worth a look. The Wildcats are 4-0 this year (including beating Utah State) and Hill is 62-36 with four Big Sky titles and five FCS playoff appearances in nine years. Prior to that, the Lehi, Utah, native and former Utah cornerback was a long-time assistant with the Utes (2001-13).
Hire him today, before his record changes.

I'm very interested in Dunn and Choate. This program needs an offensive identity that really hasn't been there since Barnett. If either has a good plan that includes recruiting as a priority and staff, I think you look very hard here.

I don't want anything to do with Patterson. He basically quit coaching at TCU
Isn’t Choate a defensive guy?

The Blake Anderson at Utah State is not the infamous Blake Anderson WR that was near the Endzone on the Colorado Hail Mary at Michigan I assume....

I know the announcers say that the ball hit his shoulder... I don't see it. At best, he tipped it with his fingers and the ball bounces off of a Michigan Defender's shoulder pad.

the more I think about it, the more the realization hits that we’re not going to get anyone like Herman or Grimes. Those guys have been around programs that know how to recruit, both prep and portal. They won’t come here with how prehistoric the transfer regulations are. Because of PD’s comments yesterday, the portal is essentially going to remain a non factor aside from grad transfers. And it’s damn near impossible to field a competitive team year in and year out without the portal if you’re a middle of the road team in today’s CFB. Sure the 5 or 6 schools that get annual top 10 classes could do prep only and be fine but they don’t because the portal is that important.

Until the transfer restrictions are loosened, we are going to be relegated to the bottom of the conference. Mendenhall is probably the ceiling of our coaching pool and without the portal, I see more years of capping out at 5-7. I’m so sick of the incompetent assholes in charge. Maybe Saliman will make big time decisions but until he does, I’m in prove it to me mode.

the more I think about it, the more the realization hits that we’re not going to get anyone like Herman or Grimes. Those guys have been around programs that know how to recruit, both prep and portal. They won’t come here with how prehistoric the transfer regulations are. Because of PD’s comments yesterday, the portal is essentially going to remain a non factor aside from grad transfers. And it’s damn near impossible to field a competitive team year in and year out without the portal if you’re a middle of the road team in today’s CFB. Sure the 5 or 6 schools that get annual top 10 classes could do prep only and be fine but they don’t because the portal is that important.

Until the transfer restrictions are loosened, we are going to be relegated to the bottom of the conference. Mendenhall is probably the ceiling of our coaching pool and without the portal, I see more years of capping out at 5-7. I’m so sick of the incompetent assholes in charge. Maybe Saliman will make big time decisions but until he does, I’m in prove it to me mode.

If I'm any potential head coach worth a damn, I'm blocking any phone number with a 303 area code after hearing RG and Phil D speak at that press conference. It's professional suicide to take the CU job under the current regime.

Perhaps not a very “exciting” option but Wash St HC Jake Dickert would be a solid hire and it’s probably realistic he could be poached.

I just watched the RG portion of the press conference and he acknowledges the transfer portal as an important part of college football.

What could Chancellor DiStefano possibly say that would give you the impression that he won't allow the effective use of it? I guess I am about to find out.

I just watched the RG portion of the press conference and he acknowledges the transfer portal as an important part of college football.

What could Chancellor DiStefano possibly say that would give you the impression that he won't allow the effective use of it? I guess I am about to find out.
He mentions JUCO as it pertains to transfers. I honestly don’t think DiStefano even knows what the actual transfer portal is or what impediments there currently are at CU, so when asked about changes to make it easier, he just kind of gives an auto pilot answer of no.

I am going to maintain my position that there’s no way they are ready to pay out around $12-$13m to make this staff go away is they aren’t prepared to make changes and set the next coach up for success.

Why the **** would we want Ceal Berry helping make decisions for the future of the football program?

The University of Colorado has a very short list of former coaches and players in any sport, who were successful enough and are currently qualified enough to be part of big decisions for CUAD going forward. I wouldn't even want Barnett involved in a search committee for a new coach, let alone Ceal ****ing Berry. Can we stop with that nonsense?
I don’t think you should be able to post comments about the coaching search unless you own a house in Boulder 🏔

After reading through this and seeing the PTD and stuff being brought up, and the stupid ****ing attitude of our Chancellor. Please, please, please sent the CU President an email that we need to change our admission requirements to be more inline with other successful AAU schools, and that Distefano needs to be sent out to pasture, the sooner the better.
CU is not (at this time) a prestigious academic institution. Stop acting like we are
I would like him to be in consideration and if he is truly the best candidate who wants to job and understands the challenges, I would be on board with him.
Definitely time to simplify the admissions process or could we just create a PE type of degree like other schools have???

How do Oregon, Washington, and Utah handle transfers???
Or Stanford or UGA or North Carolina or Wake Forest

The Blake Anderson at Utah State is not the infamous Blake Anderson WR that was near the Endzone on the Colorado Hail Mary at Michigan I assume....

I know the announcers say that the ball hit his shoulder... I don't see it. At best, he tipped it with his fingers and the ball bounces off of a Michigan Defender's shoulder pad.
Different Blake Anderson.

I just heard exactly what Chancellor DiStefano said and it was a complete lack of understanding of what the transfer portal is.

He said that "it isn't a matter of altering our policies..."

umm.. yes it is and to quote the Simpsons: "You Sir, are an Idiot!"

Marcus Arroyo a potential dark horse candidate for the job? He had a couple rough years at UNLV but has them 4-1 right now

Miami OC Josh Gattis is right near the top of my list along with Herman, Grimes, Sark(as unrealistic as it is) and Mendenhall.

Marcus Arroyo a potential dark horse candidate for the job? He had a couple rough years at UNLV but has them 4-1 right now
A really smart AD that tracks college coaches at every level is going to poach Arroyo in a year or two.

I got up this morning and I am motivated to write 3 letters- one to RG, DiSteph, and Saliman. I was a donor along with being a season ticket holder from Philadelphia starting in 1996 through the first year of Covid (2021). I took a year off due to the long term effects on my business and I wasn't happy with Stoneface Kardboard. I am not in the upper levels of donating but at least I am big enough that warranted me and my family getting to be on the field for the Ralphie run a few times and getting a 1st class tour of the facilities, locker room, and premium seating. I imagine that they want to get my donation back.

With that said, my letters will be specific to each person and it will stress the importance of the Football program and the changing of their recruiting policies to match most FBS programs. I won't come back as a donor until these changes are implemented.

The list should be:

Tom Herman
Scott Frost
Dan Mullen
Bronco Mendenhall
Cryst
Petrino

That's it. No Rick George buddies from the 90's. That's the list.

interesting. Scott Frost. What are your thoughts there? I’ve read that Huskers felt he didn’t develop players. But he could be an interesting choice?

Back