What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

Details here, but the short version is:
  • PERA payout is based upon your three highest years of pay. RG got a raise last year, so he can't maximize his payout without another two years
  • He doesn't get full PERA payout for another 4 years of service.
The longer he keeps the clock running, the better off he is.
Except a large portion of his salary is technically paid by the foundation and/or sponsors (like Nike). His actual state drawn salary that is part of PERA is *much* lower than the top line number which includes all sources.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a meaningful amount - but we're taking probably only 25-35% of the top line counts towards pera retirement.

weren't we sorta kinda close to hiring Doeren instead of MM back in 2013?
Yes. He was my #1 choice during that search, although I thought MacIntyre was a decent selection in the end.

I think Doeren had his choice between CU and NC State, and in later interviews said it was a close call but NC State already had the good football facilities in place and the better recruiting footprint, so that’s where he went. Ultimately, RG was able to get the improvements done after MacIntyre was in place. I’ll try to dig up the interview if I can find it.

EDIT.

Here is the quote and the old story from a decade ago.

“When we get a championship mentality here, I can help this place,” Doeren said. “I felt like that. Had I gone to a Colorado-type place where they really need to start over facility-wise -- you’re rebuilding everything there. Here, I don’t have to. It just seemed like if I can get kids in-state that want to stay in state, which hasn’t happened here, that will be big.”

Last edited:
While we are at it, I may as well lay my cards down for this coaching search. I think CU has a lot of potentially good hires out there, and like I’ve said, the carousel is expected to set up nicely this year. There will always be a few unexpected jobs to open, but I still believe this will be a good year for CU to be hiring.

My #1 choice is Jeff Grimes. He has been a very good OC at two successive stops, BYU and Baylor. In both of these stints, he has coordinated the offense under defensive head coaches, Kalani Sitake and Dave Aranda. The CU offensive line is and has been a mess, and that’s also an area where he was a successful assistant for many stops including CU. The diversity in his resume suggests he has a lot of contacts and should be able to assemble a good staff. He has a lot of energy and has recruited well in key recruiting grounds for the Buffs.

I know Rick George said he wanted a guy with head coaching experience, but Jeff Grimes is the guy. That is who AD Creebuzz would target.

While we are at it, I may as well lay my cards down for this coaching search. I think CU has a lot of potentially good hires out there, and like I’ve said, the carousel is expected to set up nicely this year. There will always be a few unexpected jobs to open, but I still believe this will be a good year for CU to be hiring.

My #1 choice is Jeff Grimes. He has been a very good OC at two successive stops, BYU and Baylor. In both of these stints, he has coordinated the offense under defensive head coaches, Kalani Sitake and Dave Aranda. The CU offensive line is and has been a mess, and that’s also an area where he was a successful assistant for many stops including CU. The diversity in his resume suggests he has a lot of contacts and should be able to assemble a good staff. He has a lot of energy and has recruited well in key recruiting grounds for the Buffs.

I know Rick George said he wanted a guy with head coaching experience, but Jeff Grimes is the guy. That is who AD Creebuzz would target.
Seconded.

Dave Chappelle Gotcha GIF

Grimes would be a very good hire. I prefer Dunn, but to me, they should be the clear top two targets.

Grimes would be a very good hire. I prefer Dunn, but to me, they should be the clear top two targets.
What's your take on Garrett Riley? I like all three of the Big 12 coordinators we're talking about, but Riley's really, really intriguing to me. I'd rank them Riley/Grimes (1/1a) and Dunn 3, but I wouldn't hate a Dunn hire.

On Tom Herman-Jake Schwanitz from DNVR in his podcast said TH has a lot going on in his life right now, and that's why he's not coaching. No specifics, but the way it sounded led me to believe he might be a backburner candidate at best here.

Last edited:
I view Dunn as the less established option that has only been a coordinator under an offensive minded head coach (Gundy). That always gives me pause.
Yeah, Dunn has basically been a career position coach that never stayed anywhere longer than 1-2 years until OSU in 2011 where he remained WR coach for 8 years until he was given the AHC title in 2019 and then finally promoted to OC in 2020.

It took almost a full decade at OSU to get promoted there, or have the opportunity anywhere else for that matter. Add to it that it's one of the more well oiled programs in the country with one of the most successful and established offensive minded Head Coaches in the country, and I'm a little skeptical.

Would like to hear what Duff finds attractive about him.

Yeah, Dunn has basically been a career position coach that never stayed anywhere longer than 1-2 years until OSU in 2011 where he remained WR coach for 8 years until he was given the AHC title in 2019 and then finally promoted to OC in 2020.

It took almost a full decade at OSU to get promoted there, or have the opportunity anywhere else for that matter. Add to it that it's one of the more well oiled programs in the country with one of the most successful and established offensive minded Head Coaches in the country, and I'm a little skeptical.

Would like to hear what Duff finds attractive about him.

-Big time recruiting connections in DFW and elsewhere in Texas.

-While he may have "just" been the WRs coach at Okie Lite, that program has had amazing success at the position since he started. As good as any program outside Bama, LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson.

-His promotion to OC has given him experience in playcalling.

-He has coached on both sides of the ball and has been a ST coordinator.

-He has been with Gundy for a while now, but coached under several different head coaches before then (Mike Price, Mike Stoops, Mike Holmgren, Jim Mora Jr.), which should help in building a staff.

-Big time recruiting connections in DFW and elsewhere in Texas.

-While he may have "just" been the WRs coach at Okie Lite, that program has had amazing success at the position since he started. As good as any program outside Bama, LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson.

-His promotion to OC has given him experience in playcalling.

-He has coached on both sides of the ball and has been a ST coordinator.

-He has been with Gundy for a while now, but coached under several different head coaches before then (Mike Price, Mike Stoops, Mike Holmgren, Jim Mora Jr.), which should help in building a staff.
Fair. I guess I don't see how any of that looks better than Jeff Grimes, though.

If you are assuming the HC will be the de facto OC, then Grimes is the better choice. If are looking at it more as a CEO type coach, Dunn is the better choice IMO.
Makes sense and I can agree with that. Yes, I am leaning toward an offensive coach who is going to own that side of the ball and install his offense and be the playcaller for at least a couple years until he can groom someone to take that over.

From a cost perspective, I think that's the best way to go as well. $4.5-$5m/year for HC, $500k for an OC/QB and go spend $1m/year on a veteran DC.

If you are assuming the HC will be the de facto OC, then Grimes is the better choice. If are looking at it more as a CEO type coach, Dunn is the better choice IMO.
Grimes is also bringing something........different scheme-wise. That's big to me-especially after the epic failure at WCO (I think that's what Dorrell tried to do) we've had of late. I think he'd have a Mendenhall like effect because he's been here under this dumb**** chancellor and would have some idea for how to deal with Dr. Phil's silly restrictions.

Last edited:
Garrett Riley's resume is really light. Not getting why he is even part of the conversation.

Back