What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

The way it was worded and he stumbled a bit almost seemed like he meant it more along the lines of “I think Colorado would be interested” but idk maybe he does know something
I took that to mean interest in the sense that Deion's the girl at the bar everybody wants to go home with.

He was once a top candidate for the CU job but allegedly blew the interview by saying he needed CU to act like other P5 programs on recruiting, admissions and other things in order for him to take the job.
Will Ferrell Movie GIF by filmeditor

Yeah, that was pretty sobering.
Tyson and Hankerson have the ability to grow into NFL guys
McCown has the pedigree
Almost proof that we need to go Offensive Head Coach that can come in and keep those guys and build off of that.
Then must hire a great DC that can rebuild it
Let's try Co-Coaches
Give Grimes $2 million
Give Walters $2 million
Let's ride

No clue if Walters is ready to be an HC, but his defense is absolutely legit. He is going to get a job somewhere.
It’s going to be real hard to talk Iowa fans into Ferentz’s kid whose offense looks like hot garbage. If KF retires, wonder if Bielema gets a look for that job with Walters taking over at Illinois.

I can’t believe CU is now in the position where poaching a HC from Wake Forest feels like a non-starter, but Clawson is a hell of a coach and I wish we were in a world where CU would be a major step up for him (despite today’s performance).

Jeff Grimes may not be the front runner for the Auburn job, but he is in the conversation. Auburn passing on John Hartwell for AD is probably a good sign that they will not pursue Grimes. I think he’s there for the taking if Rick George is interested.

No clue if Walters is ready to be an HC, but his defense is absolutely legit. He is going to get a job somewhere.
Walters definitely impressed yesterday. Can’t wait to see what he does to Michigan state on defense next week.

I could definitely get behind Walters as HC of the Buffs.

Does anyone know how he is he on the sidelines? I feel like he’d have a lot of energy and be involved in hyping up the players, coaching during the game?

If CU is going with a coordinator, the correct hire is Jeff Grimes. The guy has been successful wherever he has gone.
I know there are no guarantees but whether it be Grimes or anyone else, they had better be willing to sign an ironclad contract with a significant buyout. I want someone who wants to be here and is willing to make a long term (4 or 5 year minimum) commitment. And CU had better reciprocate and allow the new guy all of the leeway they can to recruit.

I think that’s where we are as fans and if that doesn’t happen then there will be a mutiny! :LOL:

I know there are no guarantees but whether it be Grimes or anyone else, they had better be willing to sign an ironclad contract with a significant buyout. I want someone who wants to be here and is willing to make a long term (4 or 5 year) commitment.
Colorado is not in any position to make demands of any excellent coach. Colorado needs to prove their desire to retain the hired coach with resources and support. If the coach is good enough to garner interest from another program, that means we are no longer the worst P5 team and will be in position to get another excellent coach. The attitude you espouse above is exactly what gave the school Karl Dorrell.

Colorado is not in any position to make demands of any excellent coach. Colorado needs to prove their desire to retain the hired coach with resources and support. If the coach is good enough to garner interest from another program, that means we are no longer the worst P5 team and will be in position to get another excellent coach. The attitude you espouse above is exactly what gave the school Karl Dorrell.
To be fair, Colorado tried that with Mel Tucker and he left without first making CU any good.

There needs to be something that protects CU for at least the first year or two.

To be fair, Colorado tried that with Mel Tucker and he left without first making CU any good.

There needs to be something that protects CU for at least the first year or two.
Major difference between what I said: the school and Athletic Director did not provide Tucker the support he was promised. The football team was on an upward trajectory. The Athletic Director being absolutely terrible is why the program is where it is.

Major difference between what I said: the school and Athletic Director did not provide Tucker the support he was promised. The football team was on an upward trajectory. The Athletic Director being absolutely terrible is why the program is where it is.
That fair to an extent w/r/t admissions and what not. Tucker did turn down MSU’s first offer, though, and RG tried making a bigger offer, but MSU came over the top.

Yes, CUAD needs to commit to making the program successful by providing the necessary resources, but there also needs to be financial protection for CU. Both can be true.

I know there are no guarantees but whether it be Grimes or anyone else, they had better be willing to sign an ironclad contract with a significant buyout. I want someone who wants to be here and is willing to make a long term (4 or 5 year minimum) commitment. And CU had better reciprocate and allow the new guy all of the leeway they can to recruit.

I think that’s where we are as fans and if that doesn’t happen then there will be a mutiny! :LOL:
CU can’t dictate terms. It is a negotiation. If CU wants a large buyout to handcuff the coach to the school, then the coach will want a fully guaranteed contract. Dorrell had that. Huge buyout, but huge guaranteed contract. Rick George failed to understand the dynamics that Dorrell was not at risk of being poached ever, so his buyout should have been low and the guarantee should have been low. This isn’t rocket science. On the flip side, the agents are unquestionably better negotiators, they do it more often, they informally collude, and they don’t have fans and media breathing down their neck.

To be a good negotiator, you have to understand the options and motivation of the other side. A really young coordinator at a strong P5 has a lot of options. They can cherry pick. The reason why CU was able to land Tucker is that he was passed over a lot and was getting old to shoot his shot. A coach in his mid 50s should have a high initial buyout but you can probably taper that off substantially down the line as fewer schools become interested in a coach as they reach a certain age. You can also negotiate targeted buyouts, with higher or lower figures depending on the school. Bottom line, there are a lot of negotiating points. CU has just been poor at doing it.

That fair to an extent w/r/t admissions and what not. Tucker did turn down MSU’s first offer, though, and RG tried making a bigger offer, but MSU came over the top.

Yes, CUAD needs to commit to making the program successful by providing the necessary resources, but there also needs to be financial protection for CU. Both can be true.
CU doesn’t have leverage, so both cannot be true if you want to attract an excellent coach.

Back